Per Roch: Bench depth being addressed...

BilboBaggins

Would like to see Bill Hall back in the Al East, wonder how that would mesh with Hardy (whom he replaced at SS in WI)...but I like the potential upside and flexibility (although I'd keep him mostly as a 3B/OF).

Add Smoak to the list, trade Tillman for Justin w/the Mariners....if they go big for 1B! Would also like to see Sizemore as an option, as many have already said.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is illogical. Hitting doesn't matter any less in proportion to defense because the sample size is smaller, all things being equal. Unless you're talking about a guy who somehow racks up a ton of defensive innings with very few PAs.
A catcher is a primary defensive position, It has a huge impact on the game. On the other hand 125 AB is such a SSS it is impossibel to evaluate the impact on the teams RS. What matters there, are if the AB are good AB or poor ones, not the results. In 125 AB, Johnny Bench could look worse than Paul Baku. :rolleyestf:

Haha! I agree, BUT this tells you that we already do have our starting lineup set, save for possibly signing someone like David Ortiz to DH. The early signals have Chris Davis at 3B and Mark Reynolds at 1B. Reimold, Jones, and Markakis in the OF. Wieters at Catcher. Hardy at SS. Roberts or Andino at 2B. This ain't no joke!
This is true. What we don't know is the makeup of the starting rotation.

Haha! I agree, BUT this tells you that we already do have our starting lineup set, save for possibly signing someone like David Ortiz to DH. The early signals have Chris Davis at 3B and Mark Reynolds at 1B. Reimold, Jones, and Markakis in the OF. Wieters at Catcher. Hardy at SS. Roberts or Andino at 2B. This ain't no joke!

You may be right about the lineup being mostly set. Or not. I don't really know. I don't think DD looking at backups first proves that tho. Backups seem to be the early hot commodity so you have to be in on it now. If you wait til later you'll REALLY end up with the dregs. It's like a fantasy draft. If closers start disappearing earlier than you were planning on drafting one, you have to change your strategy. It's just a timing thing, not a sign.

This is true. What we don't know is the makeup of the starting rotation.

I'd say we have a pretty good idea of who will be competing for the jobs. Not like we're gonna get somebody good in Free Agency after the sharks are done. Maybe Texas will throw us another bone.

Why would anyone care what a guy hits in 125 AB. Unless he's VMart who is a legitimate DH/1B, the most important thing for a back up C is his catch and throw, and pitcher handling.

I think spending over $3 million for 125 at bats is a waste of money. No way Doumit takes less to come here for 125 at bats after already turning that down from the Dodgers. With that said, if he does get significant at bats at backup catcher, be prepared for some awful defense behind the plate.

http://www.buccofever.com/tag/neil-walker/

"He has a nice bat for the position he plays, but his often nightmare-ish defense combined with his inability to stay on the field has prevented me from ever growing too attached to him. "

However, if the O's acquired Ian Stewart he would give Davis good competition at 3B. He is a good buy low candidate.

I think spending over $3 million for 125 at bats is a waste of money. No way Doumit takes less to come here for 125 at bats after already turning that down from the Dodgers. With that said, if he does get significant at bats at backup catcher, be prepared for some awful defense behind the plate.

http://www.buccofever.com/tag/neil-walker/

"He has a nice bat for the position he plays, but his often nightmare-ish defense combined with his inability to stay on the field has prevented me from ever growing too attached to him. "

Agreed. I've suffered through some fantasy baseball seasons trying to count on Doumit as my starting catcher only to realize that his managers are afraid to put him behind the plate and his bat isn't quite good enough to get regular at bats elsewhere. If Jake Fox was on such a short leash, there's no way Buck would sign off on a guy with a possibly an even worse defensive reputation, at a higher price point.

I'd say we have a pretty good idea of who will be competing for the jobs. Not like we're gonna get somebody good in Free Agency after the sharks are done. Maybe Texas will throw us another bone.
I haven't given up on the idea of a trade. But either way I expect that two of the rotation spots will be new

Archived