Morosi: O's and Angels Have Discussed Guthrie Trade

Os84

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think they would give up Morales for one year of Guthrie at ~7M.

To be fair, it's two arbitrated years of a guy who didn't play a game last year and might be blocking a solid prospect who had success in 2011. One could argue that LAA basically got their money's worth with his 2009-2010 performance alone, and should cut bait before they invest another 8-10 MM on a guy who might not stay healthy or might regress.

I'm not sure this is a logical trade from either perspective, because the Orioles will probably want another young talent added to the deal to mitigate the risk that Morales receives an arbitrated contract and doesn't produce anything, and I don't know that the Angels would be willing to sell low on Morales AND add another piece to acquire a pitcher like Guthrie for a season. We'll see, I guess.

LAAA are serious about signing CJ. I would think Guthrie is a fall back option if they can't sign Wilson. I would be interested in Morales plus Collaspo/Izturisfor Guts.

Callaspo is pretty solid at third base and gets on base. He's far superior to Izturis.

To be fair, it's two arbitrated years of a guy who didn't play a game last year and might be blocking a solid prospect who had success in 2011. One could argue that LAA basically got their money's worth with his 2009-2010 performance alone, and should cut bait before they invest another 8-10 MM on a guy who might not stay healthy or might regress.

I'm not sure this is a logical trade from either perspective, because the Orioles will probably want another young talent added to the deal to mitigate the risk that Morales receives an arbitrated contract and doesn't produce anything, and I don't know that the Angels would be willing to sell low on Morales AND add another piece to acquire a pitcher like Guthrie for a season. We'll see, I guess.

The Angels are working Trumbo at 3B in the offseason and they want him to play ~60 games there next year so I don't think blocking him is an issue. Aside from this I agree that Morales doesn't make sense for either side.

Considering that LAA could get a roughly equivalent pitcher from FA without giving up anything we would probably have to either take back Abreu or pay part of Gut's salary to get a good prospect in return.

Considering that LAA could get a roughly equivalent pitcher from FA without giving up anything we would probably have to either take back Abreu or pay part of Gut's salary to get a good prospect in return.

The reason you trade for Guthrie is because you don't want to give him 2-4 years at $7m +. He's a 1-year guy, saving you $14m-ish in guarantees.

The Angels are working Trumbo at 3B in the offseason and they want him to play ~60 games there next year so I don't think blocking him is an issue. Aside from this I agree that Morales doesn't make sense for either side.

I don't know, 1/7 for Guthrie is probably a better deal than what any of the mid-tier FA starters will get (considering risk/length of contract). And this trade would save LAA the ~3MM they would have spent on Morales, healthy or not.

The Angels are working Trumbo at 3B in the offseason and they want him to play ~60 games there next year so I don't think blocking him is an issue.

I'm out here near in LA and have heard that same thing on the radio. A lot of people wondering how realistic it is though. What's Callaspo's situation? He would platoon with Trumbo I guess. He seems to have gone from a poor defender at second to a superb one at third, but is somewhat ignored I think.

I don't know, 1/7 for Guthrie is probably a better deal than what any of the mid-tier FA starters will get (considering risk/length of contract). And this trade would save LAA the ~3MM they would have spent on Morales, healthy or not.
Maybe Oswalt on a 1/10?

I'm out here near in LA and have heard that same thing on the radio. A lot of people wondering how realistic it is though. What's Callaspo's situation? He would platoon with Trumbo I guess. He seems to have gone from a poor defender at third to a superb one at third, but is somewhat ignored I think.
It does raise some questions and you're right about Callaspo being underrated. Dipoto says he wants to emphasize OBP and switching some of Callaspo's .366 for Trumbo's .291 seems inconsistent with that.

LAAA are serious about signing CJ. I would think Guthrie is a fall back option if they can't sign Wilson. I would be interested in Morales plus Collaspo/Izturisfor Guts.

I'm not sure they wouldn't want Guthrie regardless. Currently there 4&5 starters are Jerome Williams and Tyler Chatwood. Not bad options, but hardly proven up to this point. If they could add Guthrie and CJ to Weaver, Haren, and Santana. They'd have and elite staff plus quality backup.

Archived