andrewrickli

Yes, it is another one of those threads, but here I will pose this question.

Why not sign Prince Fielder?

We havent had great production since Raffy was here. Since he left, for the past 13 seasons, I mean losing seasons, we have had a total of WAR = 11.6 or 0.9 fWAR per season.

As Trea has said before, people like to say that we dont need production from 1st base, but when you are getting less than 1 win from that position, it certainly doesn't help.

Also, for those of you that want Reynolds there, he is only a 0.3 WAR player.

The last reason (there are a ton more one could cover) that I think we should go after Prince is because everyone on this board agrees that we as a team need to being up our OBP. Last year Nick led us with a .351 mark.

Prince Fielder has never had an OBP lower than .372 since his rookie season in 2006 and has an OBP above .400 in each of the past 3 seasons and lead the National League in walks in 2010.

Bottom line, he makes the whole team better, and there is no disputing that. I really do not see why DD is writing him off so early. Pony up the money and sign him. It will show that players that "hey, this organization is committed to winning, its time to put our game faces on, we aren't messing around anymore"

The addition of Prince, with the added development of our core could be great.

Most people say that Prince only helps our team by 5 wins (which may be true) so that only gets us to around 74 wins. HOWEVER, if our young nucleus of players keep maturing and developing, he could make us an 85 win team.

Also, if DD can get Fielder that would make a guy like Reynolds more expandable to package in a trade to get that starter.

Just my two cents, so again, why not?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really dude? How many threads do we need about this?

What more needs to be said other than we have a flat payroll of $85 million and DD has repeatedly stated that we aren't going after a big time first baseman? If something changes and his price comes down, fine, but you've been given plenty of reasons why it's not realistic right now.

Yes, it is another one of those threads, but here I will pose this question.

Why not sign Prince Fielder?

We havent had great production since Raffy was here. Since he left, for the past 13 seasons, I mean losing seasons, we have had a total of WAR = 11.6 or 0.9 fWAR per season.

As Trea has said before, people like to say that we dont need production from 1st base, but when you are getting less than 1 win from that position, it certainly doesn't help.

Also, for those of you that want Reynolds there, he is only a 0.3 WAR player.

The last reason (there are a ton more one could cover) that I think we should go after Prince is because everyone on this board agrees that we as a team need to being up our OBP. Last year Nick led us with a .351 mark.

Prince Fielder has never had an OBP lower than .372 since his rookie season in 2006 and has an OBP above .400 in each of the past 3 seasons and lead the National League in walks in 2010.

Bottom line, he makes the whole team better, and there is no disputing that. I really do not see why DD is writing him off so early. Pony up the money and sign him. It will show that players that "hey, this organization is committed to winning, its time to put our game faces on, we aren't messing around anymore"

The addition of Prince, with the added development of our core could be great.

Most people say that Prince only helps our team by 5 wins (which may be true) so that only gets us to around 74 wins. HOWEVER, if our young nucleus of players keep maturing and developing, he could make us an 85 win team.

Also, if DD can get Fielder that would make a guy like Reynolds more expandable to package in a trade to get that starter.

Just my two cents, so again, why not?

The real question is "Why?"

"Why" do you feel the need to start another thread when there are at least 30 stating the exact same argument...

Really dude? How many threads do we need about this?

What more needs to be said other than we have a flat payroll of $85 million and DD has repeatedly stated that we aren't going after a big time first baseman? If something changes and his price comes down, fine, but you've been given plenty of reasons why it's not realistic right now.

I know that he isnt signing him, I asked WHY NOT...

We have the money to spend, and it would be in our best interest to do it. To get a guy that has a MOO bat, and plays 1B and who is under 30 is something we need to pounce on, because there arent many until a few years down the road. Also, people like to say, well we can develop him, fact is, no we cant. We have a terrible time at developing players.

I just feel like the Orioles are cutting themselves off by writing off Fielder so early. We CLEARLY need a MOO bat, a LEGIT one.

This is the perfect opportunity that isn't going to arise for a while, and we aren't even gonna look into it?

Where else are we going to get this MOO bat that we need? A guy that will slug over .500 and put up an OBP over .400, and an average around .300??

I know that he isnt signing him, I asked WHY NOT...

We have the money to spend, and it would be in our best interest to do it. To get a guy that has a MOO bat, and plays 1B and who is under 30 is something we need to pounce on, because there arent many until a few years down the road. Also, people like to say, well we can develop him, fact is, no we cant. We have a terrible time at developing players.

That doesn't mean you build a team through Free agency. That means you fix your system.

If he was the one missing link, I'd be all for it, but we hardly even have 2 legit starters, let's not act like he instantly puts us into contention.

That doesn't mean you build a team through Free agency. That means you fix your system.

If he was the one missing link, I'd be all for it, but we hardly even have 2 legit starters, let's not act like he instantly puts us into contention.

So why not get the bat while he is available, and then fix your system around him, so when you are ready to compete, you have that MOO bat already there. Fielder is one of a kind, and there isnt a player like him that will enter FA for a while.

So I dont see why we get him now, and upgrade around him. He is a cornerstone player, which we have none of right now.

The Orioles are no good, and one 3-6 win player won't change that. For the cost of one season of Fielder the O's could sign 100 new scouts, and pay the annual salaries of Cespedes, Aoki, Chong, and probably Darvish, too.

When the Orioles conceivably could be good, Prince will likely be in decline.

When the Orioles are set up as a self-sustaining organization producing enough talent to win consistently, Prince will likely be earning $25M a year for being an end-stage Mo Vaughn.

So why not get the bat while he is available, and then fix your system around him, so when you are ready to compete, you have that MOO bat already there. Fielder is one of a kind, and there isnt a player like him that will enter FA for a while.

So I dont see why we get him now, and upgrade around him. He is a cornerstone player, which we have none of right now.

I've asked JTrea, might as well ask you...

How does Prince Fielder (or any one of his particular man crushes of years past) help a 69 win team?

In other words, does he automatically put us into playoff contention?

This team is so bad that it'll take at LEAST 3 more years for us to untangle the mess...you're talking about being ready to compete? Why would you waste three years of Fielder's contract on a rebuild effort? Why not be competitive and then add that big bat that you and El Trea so desperately seek?

Archived