Orioles closing in on Japanese lefty Tsuyoshi Wada (Update: Wada is signed)

praveen520

Wow! That's GREAT news!

Looking at the MASN video of that Q&A exchange, I was struck by the fact that Wada did not convey any positive take at all on Baltimore or the O's by Uehara. He simply said that Uehara invited him to contact him if he had any questions (according to the translator--he spoke so softly & quickly I cdn't catch any of his 日本語). That and several other opp's to flatter the O's or Baltimore about the team's legacy, what a friendly town Uehara had found it, etc. were clearly not seized by Wada. Afterwards, he did say he was very nervous and also surprised by how many reporters showed up--so I'll just chalk it up to stage fright. He does seem very humble and earnest. With his record it seems that he could have signed for A LOT more probably with another team (I don't know if it's really sunk in to fans that this guy was MVP two years ago, is only 30, has been an all-star four times, is coming off two of his best seasons, and has experience in world-class international competition), and so it may be mainly true that he signed with us out of a sense of honoring our long-standing respect for his accomplishments and prompt offer. There's a way in which such traditional Asian values resonate with the Oriole Way, in my mind.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looking at the MASN video of that Q&A exchange, I was struck by the fact that Wada did not convey any positive take at all on Baltimore or the O's by Uehara. He simply said that Uehara invited him to contact him if he had any questions (according to the translator--he spoke so softly & quickly I cdn't catch any of his 日本語). That and several other opp's to flatter the O's or Baltimore about the team's legacy, what a friendly town Uehara had found it, etc. were clearly not seized by Wada.

I don't find that unusual at all. He probably just doesn't know that much about Baltimore or the Orioles yet. I wouldn't expect him to, considering he's been living in Japan all his life.

I don't find that unusual at all. He probably just doesn't know that much about Baltimore or the Orioles yet. I wouldn't expect him to, considering he's been living in Japan all his life.

I was refering to whether or not *Uehara* had talked up Baltimore and the O's to him.

The analogy that Duquette used in the presser was "looks like Tippy Martinez, pitches like Scott MacGregor." Tippy had a great curve and MacGregor was excellent at speed variation and deception (and, of c, they were both lefties). MacGregor began to lose it at right about Wada's age (31 years old--yikes!) once he cdn't achieve enough difference in velocity between his fastball and other pitches, according to what I've heard. From Fangraphs, I'm a little worried that Wada doesn't have much room for a drop-off in fastball velocity; there is already only a 5 mph difference between it and his breaking stuff....

McGregor also admitted that his involvement in his ministry and church became a very high priority and he didn't put as much into his offseason workouts around that time as he should have or could have.

But yes, the 5 MPH difference is certainly a valid concern.

How many starts did Wada make in Japan last year? I saw from his stats posted that he threw 184 innings, but I believe the Japanese season is shorter. He looks like a great signing. Doesn't walk many people or give up home runs. Could be a huge bargain compared to Darvish, who's total contract will be over $100 mill. Wada is a bargain if he only pitches like a #4 starter.

Why not trade our whole rotation forthis one?

The Hawks still have Tadashi Settsu (14-8, 2.79 ERA, 1.01 WHIP) and Kazuyuki Hoashi (9-6, 2.83 ERA, 1.22 WHIP) will be joining the team. That gives them two definite starters for the rotation.

The rest of the rotation will likely be filled out by pitchers like Hiroki Yamada (17 G, 17 GS, 7-7, 2.85 ERA, 1.09 WHIP), Sho Iwasaki (13 G, 13 GS, 6-2, 2.72 ERA, 1.16 WHIP), Shota Oba (13 G, 8 GS, 7-2, 2.55 ERA, 1.09 WHIP), and Kenji Otanari (9 G, 4 GS, 3-0, 2.34 ERA, 0.75 WHIP).

Why not trade our whole rotation forthis one?

Remember the league ERA in the NPB last year was about 3.00. And the Yahoo Dome in Fukuoka appears to be a good pitcher's park. So a 2.75 ERA is probably an average Japanese pitcher in that context. Before you even start accounting for quality of play you'd have to add about 1.25 runs to a Softbank pitcher's ERA on moving to the States. Back of the envelope you're probably looking at adding 2.00 runs, maybe 2.50 as a decent translation to OPACY.

Archived