Connolly: O's turn down Jurrjens, Prado and prospect for Jones

33rdst

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jackson is another good arm with plus stuff. He's bounced around the entire world, so if you can get him on a reasonable contract maybe we can flip him for a few prospects at the deadline when we're 9 games under .500.

Hotdamn brother, when did you become an optimist? Take off the orange tinted glasses.

Jackson is another good arm with plus stuff. He's bounced around the entire world, so if you can get him on a reasonable contract maybe we can flip him for a few prospects at the deadline when we're 9 games under .500.

You think will be 9 games under 500 by the end of July?! Improvements already in our future!

I know this is a copout, but unless the name of the prospect is known I think it is hard to call. If it was one of their top 5 young starters/prospects, then I would have personally pulled the trigger. I (not a great judge of talent and could never be a scout or GM) think Jones is overrated. I think he is a LF playing CF and getting lucky not to be exposed nationally. He cannot be counted on with 2 strikes. If we can get 3 players who could play for us now for somebody who is leaving in 2 years, then I think you have to make that deal. The other wildcard in this would be if another team has offered a deal and that deal to date was already better than ATLs deal.

I know this is a copout, but unless the name of the prospect is known I think it is hard to call. If it was one of their top 5 young starters/prospects, then I would have personally pulled the trigger. I (not a great judge of talent and could never be a scout or GM) think Jones is overrated. I think he is a LF playing CF and getting lucky not to be exposed nationally. He cannot be counted on with 2 strikes. If we can get 3 players who could play for us now for somebody who is leaving in 2 years, then I think you have to make that deal. The other wildcard in this would be if another team has offered a deal and that deal to date was already better than ATLs deal.

I tend to agree with this but think Jones is a bit overrated offensively and a bit underrated defensively. Having said that, he is a gifted player with a lot of upside. By no means is Jones untouchable IMO. I would require one of Atlanta's top pitching prospects along with Jurrjens and Prada.

I tend to agree with this but think Jones is a bit overrated offensively and a bit underrated defensively. Having said that, he is a gifted player with a lot of upside. By no means is Jones untouchable IMO. I would require one of Atlanta's top pitching prospects along with Jurrjens and Prada.

I agree. If they send us Jurrjens, Prado, and one of their top pitching prospects (Minor, Delgado, Teheran), then I'm all for trading Jones.

Yeah, I mean JJ is the closest thing to a ground ball pitcher they have in ATL, and he's almost 1:1 ratio. I'm not really a Prado fan, and I think they are trying too hard to move him for a team starved for offense, so that bothers me. I would rather get JJ, one of the top prospects and Terdoslavich (power hitting 1B) and take my chances. The problem is Vizcaino is a hard thrower, but looks like that might be all he can be, and a RP. Delgado and Gilmartin both look just like Matusz, so at least you know they LOVE that style pitcher. The more impressive guys that maybe you want to target are mostly fly ball pitchers, Hunter, Minor, JT or old, Hudson.

I like the potential, and I really like stealing Terdoslavich but I'm not sure how to match up the best way.

DD is playing the media like a symphony. Drop a few hints AJ has been discussed and others will come running. I would rather deal with an AL Central or West team. How about Floyd, Beckham and a prospect from the White Sox? We can still sign Crisp in spite of what he says. DD is rebuilding quickly in spite of what some people think. Would Fielder be more inclined to come here if AJ is dealt to the White Sox and we also add Jackson? He has pitched in the AL before so he shouldn't take long to get adjusted.

Isn't the real problem with Burnett his pricetag?

The real problem with Burnett is his inconsistency. Some days he will give you 8/9 innings of shutdown pitching and other games he will simply implode (like 7/8 baserunners) in the 2nd inning. He doesn't sound like what Buck wants at all, since Buck keeps harping on having starters who 'you know what you're going to get when they take the mound every 5th day'.

Archived