Connolly: O's turn down Jurrjens, Prado and prospect for Jones

33rdst

Jackson is another good arm with plus stuff. He's bounced around the entire world, so if you can get him on a reasonable contract maybe we can flip him for a few prospects at the deadline when we're 9 games under .500.
That would put us in last place for the 5th year in a row, and at least a dozen games out of first. As of July 31...
YR	W	L	GB2011	42	63	23.52010	32	72	34.52009	44	58	17.52008	52	56	11.52007	49	55	14.52006	48	58	15.52005	51	52	7.02004	46	55	17.52003	50	54	14.52002	48	55	18.0

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That would put us in last place for the 5th year in a row, and at least a dozen games out of first. As of July 31...
YR	W	L	GB2011	42	63	23.52010	32	72	34.52009	44	58	17.52008	52	56	11.52007	49	55	14.52006	48	58	15.52005	51	52	7.02004	46	55	17.52003	50	54	14.52002	48	55	18.0

Wow...now that's UGLY!

I am actually starting to warm to the idea of trading Jones. I would hope the O's would sign Cepedis (Yes I know I butchered his name). If you could get a deal like this but add an additional prospect I would do it. Sign the Cuban kid and sign Jackson to a reasonable 4 year deal. Then I would be okay with flipping Matusz, Reimold, Tillman and Avery to the Padres for 1B Anthony Rizzo. That would be a pretty nice offseason as far as I am concerned. We would have Deep Depth at pitcher:

Jurrjens

Britton

Arrietta

Floyd

Guthrie (Trade?)

Wada

Jackson

Hunter

Bergeson

lineup:

2B Roberts

SS Hardy

RF Markakis

C Wieters

DH Reynolds

3B Davis

LF Prado

1B Rizzo

CF Cepedis (sp)

Edit: I would also look into trading Reynolds and Guts for prospects.

"Who was the pitching prospect? I think that's what really matters. It was probably Beachy or Minor. If they were willing to move Teheran/Vicziano/Delgado the O's look dumb for not taking that same deal. But it's very possible that pitching prospect wasn't even Beachy or Minor."

Beachy is no longer a prospect-he pitched 141.2 innings last year for Atlanta. I would probably rather have him than Jurrjens-he is slightly younger, much, much cheaper and may just perform better than Jurrjens in 2012.

I have to say that I am a bit surprised (actually a little frustrated as well) that some people on here are so quick to want to trade Adam Jones. Not that I wouldn't be open to trading him but we would HAVE to get back a very impressive package in order to do so and Jurrjens, Prado and a prospect from ATL wouldn't come close to doing it for me (unless it was ATL's top prospect). Jones is only 26 years old and has gotten better evey year...at least in my opinion. I know that the Orioles have been guilty in the past of over-valuing their trade chips but Jones is different and we should be over-vauing him just a bit. Despite what some people on here think, I think Jones is only going to get better and his best years are still in front of him. He is one of the only exciting players that the O's have and how many other teams out there would love to get their hands on a young, above average hitter, above average defender who is only now entering the prime of his career? Sorry but I just think that if we are going to trade Jones, DD better be blown away by an offer and ATL's offer doesn't blow me away at all. Just my two cents.

Beachy is no longer a prospect-he pitched 141.2 innings last year for Atlanta. I would probably rather have him than Jurrjens-he is slightly younger, much, much cheaper and may just perform better than Jurrjens in 2012.

Exactly and Beachy was extremely impressive for them last year. If we are going to talk about trading Jones to ATL, Beachy should be the starting point...not Jurrjens.

I have to say that I am a bit surprised (actually a little frustrated as well) that some people on here are so quick to want to trade Adam Jones. Not that I wouldn't be open to trading him but we would HAVE to get back a very impressive package in order to do so and Jurrjens, Prado and a prospect from ATL wouldn't come close to doing it for me (unless it was ATL's top prospect). Jones is only 26 years old and has gotten better evey year...at least in my opinion. I know that the Orioles have been guilty in the past of over-valuing their trade chips but Jones is different and we should be over-vauing him just a bit. Despite what some people on here think, I think Jones is only going to get better and his best years are still in front of him. He is one of the only exciting players that the O's have and how many other teams out there would love to get their hands on a young, above average hitter, above average defender who is only now entering the prime of his career? Sorry but I just think that if we are going to trade Jones, DD better be blown away by an offer and ATL's offer doesn't blow me away at all. Just my two cents.

DD did not make the trade. The trade might never happen and looks like the Braves did the offer. So many trades are talked about and never leaked. I wonder if the O's leaked it to get other teams to know Jones is available and make your best offer.

DD did not make the trade. The trade might never happen and looks like the Braves did the offer. So many trades are talked about and never leaked. I wonder if the O's leaked it to get other teams to know Jones is available and make your best offer.

That would be my best guess.

And yet, compared to the last three years, that would be a vast improvement. How sad! The bar is set soooooooo low here.

4 years for EJack would be idiotic. 3 is barely ok.

Gotta wonder who that other prospect was in the Jones deal. If it was one of their best young pitching prospects, they made a mistake on that one.

Even if you don't like Jurrjens a lot, you look to flip him to another team, keep PRado and the prospect and end up with 2 or 3 more players for Jurrjens.

If the Braves are motivated to make this move, the Orioles should be looking for a third team to take on Jurrjens and then make this a deal where they get Prado and 3 or 4 prospects.

4 years for EJack would be idiotic. 3 is barely ok.

Why is 4 years for Jackson idiotic??? The guy is a young power pitcher who is better than anything we currently have. He would be 32 at the end of of 4 year deal. I don't understand why people would have a problem with signing a guy like him for 4 years. His numbers have been pretty solid and it wasn't too long ago that he was considered one of the best prospects in baseball. I take him for 4 years in a heartbeat.

The real problem with Burnett is his inconsistency. Some days he will give you 8/9 innings of shutdown pitching and other games he will simply implode (like 7/8 baserunners) in the 2nd inning. He doesn't sound like what Buck wants at all, since Buck keeps harping on having starters who 'you know what you're going to get when they take the mound every 5th day'.

Types of players excluded by that quote: all pitchers.

Why is 4 years for Jackson idiotic??? The guy is a young power pitcher who is better than anything we currently have. He would be 32 at the end of of 4 year deal. I don't understand why people would have a problem with signing a guy like him for 4 years. His numbers have been pretty solid and it wasn't too long ago that he was considered one of the best prospects in baseball. I take him for 4 years in a heartbeat.

He is a power pitcher who doesn't get a lot of K's but he does a good job of missing bats.

His walk rate in the AL has been subpar and being in this division, isn't going to help that.

His FIP suggests he is still a solid pitcher but not much more than #3 type starter and he is going to be into his 30s.

The idea of "he is better than what we have" so give him a bunch of money is a poor idea.

The Orioles need to be smart about how they spend their money.

I feel EJack is a better pitcher than Guthrie...but will the results be much different?

Archived