Fielder to O's "just isn't going to happen"

.500_OR_BETTER

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you trade Jones, Guthrie and Johnson while signing Fielder you're about even. You've hopefully built up the farm, but you're still a 70-win team.

In theory, but this one of the troubles I have with WAR. WAR is an individual statistic based on those players contributions individually. I'd like to think that a starting CF, no. 1 SP, and closer/set up man would have a lot more impact leaving collectively than WAR can present. It just doesn't account for the impact on other players around them. I think adding one slugging 1B would produce a certain amount of WAR with certain players on the roster, and produce a different amount of WAR with other players on the roster.

If you trade Jones, Guthrie and Johnson while signing Fielder you're about even. You've hopefully built up the farm, but you're still a 70-win team.

For 2012...Who cares about that?

The idea would be to trade those guys, get close to or MLO ready talent and have a cheaper, younger, more talented team around Fielder.

Yes, those guys have to pan out but unless this team is going to up the payroll into the 150+ million range, they can't afford to just extend everyone and have the big cotnract of Fielder.

SG: Say Fielder goes to Seattle, Would you be happy if the O's went after Smoak?

He would be my #1 priority.

In fact, Smoak would have been my #1 priority over anyone realistically available this offseason...even over Darvish, who is the guy I wanted the Orioles to obtain the most this offseason.

Here's the latest from MLBTradeRumors.com:

Yesterday we heard that Scott Boras is "gunning for" an average annual salary of $25.5MM for free agent Prince Fielder, which would be just above the $25.4MM annual payout Albert Pujols received from the Angels. Fielder also wants a ten-year deal, though a number of clubs are interested in a six-year pact. We'll keep track of any news about the slugger right here today, with the latest up top...

The Orioles do indeed have interest in Fielder according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (on Twitter), just not at his current asking price.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/12/prince-fielder-rumors-friday.html?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed

Edit: Crap, I should have started a new thread with this. ;)

Trea is 100% right about this.

What else do you do with the team?

The problem is, its not realistic to think they are going to(or should) do what Trea thinks they should do.

I am actually more willing to sign Fielder if Jones, Guthrie and Johnson are dealt.

Which makes your chances to sign Fielder even worse than they currently are, and they are negligible now.

Which makes your chances to sign Fielder even worse than they currently are, and they are negligible now.

Having Jones right now on the team I think is a positive to Fielder.

Our chances being negligible is an overstatement.

We've got a good shot as long as we don't want the price to drop unrealistically.

As you said, nobody wants Fielder at 10/250. The question is how many want him at 7/160-175?

What is the price point where other teams will start to hurt your chances?

It's certainly $18 milion per season that Connolly suggested. If that's the case you shouldn't even be interested.

I think the O's are willing to go somewhere in between $20-25 million per season for Fielder for 6-7 years. Obviously the higher they go, the less competition they have.

I think the O's would go seven years, The problem is how high will they go in price. 7/150,and that probably does not get it done. Who knows what teams are now in on Fielder. Brewers,Cubs and Orioles. I don"t think Fielder wants to be out West, Toronto won't give him over five or six years. The Marlins might get if the price drops. The market is not that big for Fielder. The O's don't have Lee,Vlad ,Gonzo,Koji and Scott on the books anymore. Let's say we can trade Markakis to the Braves. Reynolds and Guthrie to other teams. We would have money. Get Beachy.Prado,Floyd,Quentin and Parra back in trades and sign Casey Kotchman for first base defense. The O's would have guys that can move around at second,third, OF and DH.

I think the O's would go seven years, The problem is how high will they go in price. 7/150,and that probably does not get it done. Who knows what teams are now in on Fielder. Brewers,Cubs and Orioles. I don"t think Fielder wants to be out West, Toronto won't give him over five or six years. The Marlins might get if the price drops. The market is not that big for Fielder. The O's don't have Lee,Vlad ,Gonzo,Koji and Scott on the books anymore. Let's say we can trade Markakis to the Braves. Reynolds and Guthrie to other teams. We would have money. Get Beachy.Prado,Floyd,Quentin and Parra back in trades and sign Casey Kotchman for first base defense. The O's would have guys that can move around at second,third, OF and DH.

The Cubs are rebuilding so they are likely out. The Brewers can't afford him.

Right now the Jays (at 5 years), Nationals, Orioles and Mariners appear to be the market.

If Fielder goes to the Nats or Jays, it hurts the Orioles. The question is how much does Peter Angelos want to avoid that happening. He didn't seem to care about Tex going to the Yankees so he may not care about the Jays, but what about Fielder to the Nats?

Could PGA stomach losing even more attendance to the Nats? And then as a double whammy he could lose share to the Nats for MASN as well.

The Cubs are rebuilding so they are likely out. The Brewers can't afford him.

Right now the Jays (at 5 years), Nationals, Orioles and Mariners appear to be the market.

If Fielder goes to the Nats or Jays, it hurts the Orioles. The question is how much does Peter Angelos want to avoid that happening. He didn't seem to care about Tex going to the Yankees so he may not care about the Jays, but what about Fielder to the Nats?

Could PGA stomach losing even more attendance to the Nats? And then as a double whammy he could lose share to the Nats for MASN as well.

I don;t think he will go to the M's. Also think the Nats have other things going on. I don't think the Brewers,Cubs or Marlins are out.

Archived