Fielder to O's "just isn't going to happen"

.500_OR_BETTER

Baltimore has been linked to Prince Fielder at various points this offseason, but locally their odds of actually signing the free agent slugger are perceived as very slim.

Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun writes that the Orioles aren't going to give eight or more years or $18 or more million per year to a Fielder and adds "just isn't going to happen."

If his demands drop considerably that could certainly change, but Connolly says several team sources he?s spoken to recently indicated that the Orioles aren?t even strongly pursuing Fielder.

Instead he expects the Orioles to spend on pitching, and perhaps fellow Scott Boras client Edwin Jackson

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/21/prince-fielder-to-the-orioles-just-isnt-going-to-happen/

Discuss :scratchchinhmm:

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The key is it's Connolly's opinion.

Nobody really knows what Duquette and Angelos are thinking right now.

If the Orioles were only willing to pay 18 million per season, they wouldn't bother pursuing him, and Fielder would have no interest. So that part I don't buy for a second...

Who really cares, if you don't like it... how about you don't post in it if you don't want to contribute.

buh bye now!

The thread title and tweet or whatever has been posted in the threads where this is already being discussed. When you start a new thread on the same EXACT topic, it makes it hard to follow discussions.

I don't post in threads that don't interest me. This is different. This interests me but is already being discussed. Step back with the attitude and just follow board rules.

Well, I guess this means our only option for a MOO hitter between now and 2020 is to trade Machado, Schoop, Matusz, Tillman, Avery, the Frederick Keys, four bags of gold dust, and the 1983 Championship Trophy for Votto. It's up to Duquette to convince the Reds that they're actually building instead of trying to win now.

If the Orioles were only willing to pay 18 million per season, they wouldn't bother pursuing him, and Fielder would have no interest. So that part I don't buy for a second...

What? Duquette, the writers, and the fans are all in near unanimous agreement that the O's aren't going to seriously pursue any big name free agents. So I guess you're right when you say we don't know what they're thinking, just so long as you're talking about what they're having for breakfast a week from Thursday.

Uh, yeah we do. You don't.

hands%20raised.jpg

Well, I guess this means our only option for a MOO hitter between now and 2020 is to trade Machado, Schoop, Matusz, Tillman, Avery, the Frederick Keys, four bags of gold dust, and the 1983 Championship Trophy for Votto. It's up to Duquette to convince the Reds that they're actually building instead of trying to win now.

Golddust? Really? Think that would get it done? :D

goldust1.jpg

What? Duquette, the writers, and the fans are all in near unanimous agreement that the O's aren't going to seriously pursue any big name free agents. So I guess you're right when you say we don't know what they're thinking, just so long as you're talking about what they're having for breakfast a week from Thursday.

Duquette has never said he won't pursue premium talent via FA, just that it wasn't his first choice. Everybody has interpreted that to mean the Orioles won't pursue any premium talent when that may not be the case.

In fact Duquette has gone out of his way to hide who exactly he's targeted in FA.

Duquette has never said he won't pursue premium talent via FA, just that it wasn't his first choice. Everybody has interpreted that to mean the Orioles won't pursue any premium talent when that may not be the case.

In fact Duquette has gone out of his way to hide who exactly he's targeted in FA.

IT'S NOT ABOUT DUQUETTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, man. Seriously.

League average hitting is fine if your rotation is great (Rays) and league average pitchers might work if you hitting is great (Rangers). The Orioles probably need to find a happy medium at this point and Fielder would make us above average offensively and a guy's Jackson and Chen could help solidify the starting rotation IMO. I think that it is more likely that we land Jackson and Chen versus Fielder, but that has more to do with Fielder's desire to win than something that we are doing wrong.

And Obama has never explicitly said he's not going to drop a nuke on Cleveland, either. Sometimes you have to fill in the blanks, even if it's a real puzzler: Duquet_e and Angelos are not goin_ to sign Princ_ F_elder.

Archived