Fielder to O's "just isn't going to happen"

.500_OR_BETTER

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry to jump into the conversation so late, but has anyone ever heard him say he is looking for a record breaking contract? I have not heard a peep out of him. If this is what his agent is saying, it's not shocking, since the agent gets more if Prince gets more. Is there a quote somewhere out there where Fielder says, "I want money, money and more money?"

He does not have to. Why do you think he signed with Boras? It was not for Scott's compassion. It was for his ability to get the most money possible. Fielder does not have to say it, thats what Scott Boras gets paid to do.

Just for the record, I would be supportive of the Orioles signing Fielder. It's not my money, so I don't care how much they pay him. However, as a fan of the team, I don't want to hear somewhere down the road that they can't afford to sign player X because they are paying so much money to Fielder that it is crippling to the team. I don't think the team will do that. What will disappoint me is if he signs a 6/100 type deal because that was the best he could get and the Orioles did not even enter into serious discussions with Boras.

The market for Fielder at 10/254 (Pujols money) is non-existent. At some point the years and dollars would drop to a point where there may be several teams in play. All Boras has to do is find one team that is acceptable to Prince at long enough years and high enough dollars. I think 7/150 would do it. I don't know that he'll get it, but he might. If he does, I don't think it will be with Baltimore and I won't be upset if it's not. If it's six or fewer years at $125MM or less, then I'd want the Orioles to be seriously in the conversation.

WHat is the other choice? The team has no top first baseman prospects. Do they even have a legitimate slugger in the system? You have to take chances when you want to improve. Fielder seems like a low risk chance to take. If all you are worried about is signing Wieters and Jones for the future than you have no hope. You need to make the team better to increase revenue. The team needs stars.

Again, you are assuming two choices: "internal option" and "Prince Fielder".

And if the team needs "stars" why are you so against guys like Guerrero?

Again, you are assuming two choices: "internal option" and "Prince Fielder".

And if the team needs "stars" why are you so against guys like Guerrero?

Who else is there? Carlos Pena?

1B is a wasteland minus Votto in FA for the next several years. And there's no way we are signing Votto to a Pujols like contract if he even is available...

WHat is the other choice? The team has no top first baseman prospects. Do they even have a legitimate slugger in the system? You have to take chances when you want to improve. Fielder seems like a low risk chance to take. If all you are worried about is signing Wieters and Jones for the future than you have no hope. You need to make the team better to increase revenue. The team needs stars.
When your forking out the kind of money its going to take to get Fielder here, , thats a very high risk.

When your forking out the kind of money its going to take to get Fielder here, , thats a very high risk.

Considering we've spent what Fielder would cost for multiple players that gave less production, the risk would be continuing to do what we are doing.

I'm curious to hear your reason for why we can't sign Votto in two years.

Tex could be made into a DH by then and the Cubs will have likely rebuilt to name a few teams.

The Mets could be a landing spot as well as the Dodgers as both will likely have their houses in order.

Not to mention Votto will likely cost a lot more than Fielder given his age and the fact he's not seen as a future DH.

The competition right now for Fielder is very limited and it's prime time to take advantage.

Mo Vaughn at 30 still was a 6.6 fWAR player.

Fielder would give you at least 4 prime years IMO. The last three are the price you pay for those four prime years.

The question is what else do you do to team in those 4 years to make the contract worthwhile? If you sign him, you'd better be prepared to do what it will take to win with him for the contract to be worthwhile.

An opt-out clause would actually benefit the Orioles as you wouldn't be stuck with non-prime years if Fielder is still tearing up the league and 3-4 years should buy you enough time to find a replacement.

Fielder would give you at least 4 prime years IMO. The last three are the price you pay for those four prime years.

The question is what else do you do to team in those 4 years to make the contract worthwhile? If you sign him, you'd better be prepared to do what it will take to win with him for the contract to be worthwhile.

An opt-out clause would actually benefit the Orioles as you wouldn't be stuck with non-prime years if Fielder is still tearing up the league and 3-4 years should buy you enough time to find a replacement.

Just pointing out that Fielder's age 30 year will be the 3rd year of his contract. And from ages 31-35, Vaughn was worth a grand total of 1.8 WAR (bbref). I agree about the opt-out clause, though.

Trea is 100% right about this.

What else do you do with the team?

The problem is, its not realistic to think they are going to(or should) do what Trea thinks they should do.

I am actually more willing to sign Fielder if Jones, Guthrie and Johnson are dealt.

Trea is 100% right about this.

What else do you do with the team?

The problem is, its not realistic to think they are going to(or should) do what Trea thinks they should do.

I am actually more willing to sign Fielder if Jones, Guthrie and Johnson are dealt.

I'm LESS willing to do it if those 3 are dealt, because now you have 3 more important pieces to replace with prospects and HOPING they pan out. You need more pieces that pan out to build around, not less.

Archived