Fielder to O's "just isn't going to happen"

.500_OR_BETTER

Yea but, overpaying for a 1B won't make us good. Not even close. We need to improve in countless other areas before paying big bucks for a 1B is a good idea.

BTW, I'm not nearly as opposed to signing Fielder as most are on here, simply because it would be fun to watch him on a nightly basis.

Fielder added and Reynolds removed would make us a better team. He would make the whole team better. The guy's hitting in front of him and after him would have much better seasons. Sort of what Eddie Murray did in our last World Series winning team.

It doesn't take a genius to realize what this team needs. Guys to get on base more, a clean up hitter and some starting pitching. Get a couple of real starters and add Fielder and you have a decent team.

Or you can sit around and have another decade of losing. Fielder is available he isn't getting the offers he wants or he would have signed by now. Someone in this organization needs some balls to make a move to make the team better.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Orioles have had the worst value from 1B since 1999.

It's a huge issue that hasn't been solved and a common theme in the losing streak along with the owner himself.

The Orioles have had 10.6 fWAR in 13 years at the position. The next lowest performance in that time period is the Pirates with 23.4 - more than double what the Orioles have recieved. That's freaking pathetic.

First base need to be fixed. It should be a priority.

No other position has had that much pathetic performance for the Orioles for such a long time period, none.

The Orioles can't keep running out sub 3.0 fWAR performers out there and expect to win anything.

They've passed and passed and passed on talent again and again and again at 1B and there has been no premium 1B draft picks that have been picked in our system.

The cycle has to stop.

The Yankees aren't bidding on Fielder and the Red Sox aren't bidding on Fielder, so the "big boys" excuse doesn't fly IMO.

The "big boys" are the Seattle Mariners, Toronto Blue Jays and Washington Nationals. And if we can't compete with them financially, then they need to fold up shop and just contract the damn team.

So if I continue to harp on first base over and over and over again, you'll see there's a pretty darn good reason.

Where does their starting pitching rank?

Fielder added and Reynolds removed would make us a better team. He would make the whole team better. The guy's hitting in front of him and after him would have much better seasons. Sort of what Eddie Murray did in our last World Series winning team.

It doesn't take a genius to realize what this team needs. Guys to get on base more, a clean up hitter and some starting pitching. Get a couple of real starters and add Fielder and you have a decent team.

Or you can sit around and have another decade of losing. Fielder is available he isn't getting the offers he wants or he would have signed by now. Someone in this organization needs some balls to make a move to make the team better.

Oh, ok. That simple huh?

Yea but, overpaying for a 1B won't make us good. Not even close. We need to improve in countless other areas before paying big bucks for a 1B is a good idea.

BTW, I'm not nearly as opposed to signing Fielder as most are on here, simply because it would be fun to watch him on a nightly basis.

Pedro ...I clearly get your point ...But the Orioles dont have a single star player. Jones is as close as they have and he's gone in a year if not sooner. At some point they need to go all in on a top tier guy. They dont have a 1B worth discussing in the minors. So we are at very least 5 years from solving the problem. They dont want to trade the prospects it would take to get a 1B that fits the description. Chances are low that they'd find one in the bargain bin as they've been trying that route for several years now. AM blew it as he recognizedit as a problem but in the two big trades did nothing to get it done but try to put a band aid in place. Which he also failed at. Just sayin!

Pedro ...I clearly get your point ...But the Orioles dont have a single star player. Jones is as close as they have and he's gone in a year if not sooner. At some point they need to go all in on a top tier guy. They dont have a 1B worth discussing in the minors. So we are at very least 5 years from solving the problem. They dont want to trade the prospects it would take to get a 1B that fits the description. Chances are low that they'd find one in the bargain bin as they've been trying that route for several years now. AM blew it as he recognizedit as a problem but in the two big trades did nothing to get it done but try to put a band aid in place. Which he also failed at. Just sayin!

Oh, I agree. The time just isn't now.

Spoken like a true Angelos.

Exactly. The time is never now. I don't see how we will get a better time than now. The big boys have first basemen. We have a premiered first baseman who is 27 who is a free agent. If the team improves over the next 4 years Fielder will still be here. We aren't talking about a guy who is 34.

The reality is Angelos is cheap and he won't sign him. But for this team there is no reason logically to not sign him.

Where does their starting pitching rank?

27th at 135.0 fWAR with the lowest being the Padres at 121.9.

So our starting pitching value hasn't been as pathetic compared to the rest of MLB as it has for 1B.

Only the Royals for the SS and 2B position and the Astros from their catcher position have had a lower cumulative fWAR for one position.

You know I honestly wish the Orioles would do what these folks advocate just so they'd stop talking about it. It would fail. They'd complain. We'd call them on it. They'd back away from the previous stance. We'd move on. But at least I wouldn't have to continue reading post after post about the Orioles "just doing something" that contains not a lick of analysis.

When you say fail do you mean not make the playoffs? not a .500 season?.... or just another typical season for the O's..

It's pretty safe to say that if the O's added a TOR pitcher or even someone like Jackson and Fielder. I would bet my life savings that they would statistically be better than last year.

Archived