#Orioles and #Braves are making progress on an Adam Jones deal. Hearing Jurrjens is involved

Greg

Just as a heads up, the Braves would laugh if the Orioles offered Jones for Teheran straight up. He's going nowhere for the next 6 years.

What's your take on Prado? He seems like a guy who just had a bad year in '11. How is his defense at 2B, 3B and LF?

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think we should target players that are not established in the majors yet. I think I'd almost rather see us go after a Minor, Delgado, and Salcedo type deal than getting Jurjjens. I'm not sure about those particular players, but that's the type of deal I'd like to see.

So would I, but I kind of doubt the Braves do that deal, unless they need Jones more badly than anyone else thinks. This is why they are trying to offer up Jurrjens instead, because he's a little bit "fool's gold." He's a decent pitcher, to be sure, but not as good as his ERA last year suggests.

The Orioles dont need another Luis Rivera (hope this is the right name from the last trade we made with the braves) or Patton in this deal. They cant afford to peddle Jones for High Risk guys period.

Ugh, please no mention of Syd Thrift-directed trades in this thread. There should be like a forum rule for that...

What's your take on Prado? He seems like a guy who just had a bad year in '11. How is his defense at 2B, 3B and LF?

One of my favorite players. It's been a long time since I've seen a Major Leaguer work as hard as he has. And due to his versatility, the Braves view him as more valuable than Jurrjens.

As for his on field game, he's a "pure hitter". Just knows how to handle a bat and even behind in the count, he has success. Also has more power than given credit, although he's been in the leadoff spot (out of place) a lot of the last two years so he hasn't been in position to use that power too often. All of this really shows in his 120+ OPS the 3 years before this past year. You have to discredit anything he did this past year because he was battling injuries, but just because of the nature of his personality, he never wanted to sit out, and his numbers reflected that.

As for his defense, he was actually quite solid in LF. He's not very quick so he didn't have much range, but the plays he could make, he made. Due to that same range, he's better at 3B than he is at 2B, but he has the potential to be at least average, and usually above average, at all 3 positions.

Just an all around really good baseball player. I hope the Braves trade Jurrjens because I'm ready for Teheran to be in the bigs, but I really hope they hold onto Prado.

So would I, but I kind of doubt the Braves do that deal, unless they need Jones more badly than anyone else thinks. This is why they are trying to offer up Jurrjens instead, because he's a little bit "fool's gold." He's a decent pitcher, to be sure, but not as good as his ERA last year suggests.

Bit more to it then that. JJ also has less time left under team control and costs more.

I think that if the Orioles can trade Jones for Jurjjens, Prado and a decent pitching prospect they should be all over that trade. No the prospect won't be Teheran, but a guy with nice upside a little farther down in the system. Prado is a guy whose versatility will be a huge benefit to the Orioles with our situation at second, third and LF being what it is. And Jurjjens is at least the #2 starter, if not the #1 starter, right from jump street. If the Orioles could make that trade and follow it up with a Cespedes signing....Wow, I would be excited about that.

I'd love to get Prado as part of the deal. Even though his K% dropped to an incredible 8.8% in 2011 (League average is 18.6%), his BABIP fell to .266 despite putting up BABIPs of .357, .331, and .335 in 2008-10.

His LD% did drop more than 6 points from 2010 to 2011 (going from 21% to 14.6%).

Prado was unlucky last year, but his BB% has declined for four years in a row (8.3%, 7.2%, 6.1%, 5.8%) going essentially from League average to Adam Jones-esque. This coupled with his tumbling LD% and the fact that he'll be 29 y/o and 5 months at the start of the 2012 season leads me to believe he won't be bouncing back to the .800 OPS he consistently put up in ATL. He'll certainly rebound, but not to the extent some around here might predict. On top of that, UZR records that 2B is his worst defensive position though a fan/scout's opinion is certainly welcome. :)

The last four years have also seen his O-Swing% increase steadily (18.8%, 20.8%, 26.1%, and 28.8%), though conversely his Z-Contact% has increased over the same span (93.7%, 94.0%, 95.5%, 96.1%).

I'd love to have Prado, but I just thought I should play the devil's advocate a bit with his stats. They notion that he was "just unlucky" in 2011 isn't 100% true.

One of my favorite players. It's been a long time since I've seen a Major Leaguer work as hard as he has. And due to his versatility, the Braves view him as more valuable than Jurrjens.

As for his on field game, he's a "pure hitter". Just knows how to handle a bat and even behind in the count, he has success. Also has more power than given credit, although he's been in the leadoff spot (out of place) a lot of the last two years so he hasn't been in position to use that power too often. All of this really shows in his 120+ OPS the 3 years before this past year. You have to discredit anything he did this past year because he was battling injuries, but just because of the nature of his personality, he never wanted to sit out, and his numbers reflected that.

As for his defense, he was actually quite solid in LF. He's not very quick so he didn't have much range, but the plays he could make, he made. Due to that same range, he's better at 3B than he is at 2B, but he has the potential to be at least average, and usually above average, at all 3 positions.

Just an all around really good baseball player. I hope the Braves trade Jurrjens because I'm ready for Teheran to be in the bigs, but I really hope they hold onto Prado.

Ah, if he was battling injuries then that would explain away his declining LD% in 2011 (which also explains how his BABIP fell off so much). Thanks for the insight, man! It's always great to hear from fans of other teams. Rep to you!

How many are centerfielders with 30+ homer power???

Didn't you see we traded for Jai Miller today he jacked 32 last year in his fourth year of AAA! In all seriousness why do you think a cf who hasn't come close to a 30 homer season would be better than 3-4 players that will all be contributors by 2013 if not sooner.

I would if I were the Braves. No way I would trade Teheran for 2 years of Jones.

We're overrating Jones here big time folks.

Maybe but I don't see the point of doing this trade unless we get back one of Minor, Delgado, or Teheran. If none of those guys are touchable, then where's the deal to be had here? Hanson? If he's healthy, yes, but the Braves don't do that deal. Jurrjens? How does that resolve anything for Baltimore? He'd need to be extended if he was even worth it, and I'm not sure he is.

I get that Jones isn't that valuable but if we are going to trade him it has to be for young pitching with significant upside. Otherwise there's just no point to doing the deal and it would be better to hope Jones realizes more of his potential and maybe even ink him to a long-term deal.

Hey Braves guy, do you think there is ANY chance that the Braves would move one of Minor, Delgado or Teheran for Jones? And no, it would not be Jones plus Bundy or Machado. Those two aren't going anywhere and the Orioles are not in any position to deal away prospects. We need to acquire prospects. In your opinion, which of Atlanta's prospects could be had in a deal for Jones? If none of them, why are the Braves and Orioles even having a conversation about this? It seems to me that the Braves should be looking to contend right away. If they think Jones makes them a better team tomorrow, then acquiring him is going to come at some cost in prospects. How far do the Braves go for him?

Archived