#Orioles and #Braves are making progress on an Adam Jones deal. Hearing Jurrjens is involved

Greg

This I do disagree with. Seems to me most posters think he is the next coming of Jesus. But all fanbases will over-inflate their own team's players though.

I agree that a lot of the trade packages proposed have been unrealistic to an extent, but Jones probably gets more criticism on this board than any other Oriole.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think a lot of us will find this line funny. Jones has probably gotten as much or more flak than any other player on this board over the years.
Jones' flak can't hold a candle to the Pie flak, the Melmo flak, the Tejada flak, the DCabb flak, or the J Payton flak.

Jones' flak can't hold a candle to the Pie flak, the Melmo flak, the Tejada flak, the DCabb flak, or the J Payton flak.

Meh, I will say that Pie probably got more flak than anyone here, and so did Tejada for a while. Melvin too. Adam has had his fair share, though.

Of course. If you read one of my earlier posts I named 4 or 5 reasons why O's fans have a reason to not be high on Jurrjens.

This I do disagree with. Seems to me most posters think he is the next coming of Jesus. But all fanbases will over-inflate their own team's players though.

I think many of us are pretty realistic about Jones's current value. He doesn't get on base, his defense is shaky at times. That said, the Orioles are not in any position to "sell low" on Jones. They need a team to fall in his love with his remaining untapped potential, with the idea that he might become a 30 HR a year guy who hits .280-.300. And just from my outside perspective, it seems like the Braves have been fishing around on Jones for awhile. They asked about him in July (according to reports) and seem to be in on him again. So I think that they see something there that they want.

I completely get that Teheran is untouchable. But I think I'd want Minor back in any Jones trade. At least, that's the guy I would go after if I was Duquette. I wonder what the Braves would be willing to part with if the Orioles offered Jones and Andino. That gives you a young, power hitting outfielder whose defense would probably profile pretty well in left and who could play center if Bourn was hurt, and it gives you a quality utility player who can competently play second, third, or short and who won't embarrass himself at the plate. If I'm Duquette, Jurrjens just doesn't do it for me...peripherals are not where you'd want them and he's heading towards free agency by the time the Orioles have any chance of being competitive again. If I'm Duquette, I'm targeting Minor. Prado doesn't interest me all that much as I don't think he's a part of the next Orioles contending team.

Duquette said that he isn't sure if the 2B for next year is on our current roster. maybe he is hinting that Prado will be our starting 2B man.

What about Jurrjens, Prado, and Minor for Jones and Andino?

That is a trade I would do, but I don't think Atlanta would, or rather, it would be difficult for them to pull the trigger on that one. The Orioles would have to throw something else in, I would think, but I'm honestly not sure what else we have to offer that they would be interested in.

Duquette said that he isn't sure if the 2B for next year is on our current roster. maybe he is hinting that Prado will be our starting 2B man.

What about Jurrjens, Prado, and Minor for Jones and Andino?

I think Minor is the best player in that deal (behind Jones) and for that reason I'd decline. You might say I'm underrating Jurrjens, but his peripherals and service time should be a severe concern to the FO. We'd be trading for Prado more out of need than anything else. While we're inventing fantasy trade scenarios: give me Beachy/Minor, Delgado, Vizcaino & Prado for Jones, Andino & Tillman. :D

After thinking about it more, I'd actually do this deal: Jones+Andino for Prado+Minor+lower level prospect. Prado solves our second base issue short term and Minor gives us a good young pitcher. I like his peripherals and his profile, would much rather have him than Jurrjens and if the Braves feel like they are giving up too much if they give us Jurrjens and Minor, they can keep Jurrjens.

I'm big on getting pitchers who can miss bats, so I've never much liked Jurrjens, although I admit I could be underrating him. But with our mediocre defense, the fewer balls in play the better, I think.

I think Minor is the best player in that deal (behind Jones) and for that reason I'd decline. You might say I'm underrating Jurrjens, but his peripherals and service time should be a severe concern to the FO. We'd be trading for Prado more out of need than anything else. While we're inventing fantasy trade scenarios: give me Beachy/Minor, Delgado, Vizcaino & Prado for Jones, Andino & Tillman. :D

I think you are underrating Minor and overrating Jones. Andino is a nice utility player but that's about it.

I think you are underrating Minor and overrating Jones. Andino is a nice utility player but that's about it.

I didn't post a trade scenario I feel would be realistic. Are you saying you believe Minor is better than Jones right now? I'm a little bewildered by that opinion. I've not seen much of these players and can only go on statistics, but Minor is the one player I want more than any of ATL's pitchers, including Jurrjens.

It's been said that some teams view Andino as a starting SS. I personally dont but I remember reading it on MLBTR. I understand the Jurrjens concern.... But why are the Braves pushing Prado??? I'd be targeting 2 of the prospect arms and maybe someone like Mauro Gomez who is blocked at 1B by Freddie Freeman.

I didn't post a trade scenario I feel would be realistic. Are you saying you believe Minor is better than Jones right now? I'm a little bewildered by that opinion. I've not seen much of these players and can only go on statistics, but Minor is the one player I want more than any of ATL's pitchers, including Jurrjens.

Obviously not right now, but yes, I do think he has more overall value, owing to Jones's salary and the fact that he is two years away from free agency, whereas Minor is still many years away.

It's been said that some teams view Andino as a starting SS. I personally dont but I remember reading it on MLBTR. I understand the Jurrjens concern.... But why are the Braves pushing Prado??? I'd be targeting 2 of the prospect arms and maybe someone like Mauro Gomez who is blocked at 1B by Freddie Freeman.

Prado doesn't have much value for me right now. But I'd take him just as someone who could fill in competently at one of several positions. If the Braves were attaching significant value to him then I would not be interested.

Obviously not right now, but yes, I do think he has more overall value, owing to Jones's salary and the fact that he is two years away from free agency, whereas Minor is still many years away.

With their organization quality SPs are plentiful ...A CF with 25 homer power and room/time to improve is quite valuable.

Archived