#Orioles and #Braves are making progress on an Adam Jones deal. Hearing Jurrjens is involved

Greg

I'd even be inclined to throw in a Tillman or Bergesen along with Jones and Andino for Jurrjens, Prado, and Minor.

Obviously, Teheran is the favorite, but that unrealistic IMO. What about sending Jones, Andino, and B. Bundy to ATL for Teheran and Prado?

I'm not sure yet, I have to take some time and think about it, but Andino is a younger, cheaper Prado that we can send ATL.

I'd ask for Jurrjens, Prado, and Teheran for Jones, Andino and B. Bundy (ATL says no, then we try and play Boras and try and get them to bite--if not then we counter with) Jurrjes, Prado, Minor/Beachy for that package.

So you know, the Marlins are looking for a CF'er....

Maybe now teams are realizing that AJ is available for pitching...

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Obviously not right now, but yes, I do think he has more overall value, owing to Jones's salary and the fact that he is two years away from free agency, whereas Minor is still many years away.

If you're suggesting a trade of Jones straight up for Minor would be acceptable for the Orioles then I'm just going to have to disagree. I like Minor a lot but that would not be an acceptable valuation of the risk involved.

I can only hope Minor is included in the trade package and that his value as a MLer does one day exceed Jones'. For right now I disagree that he has more overall value. Though if that's the perspective the ATL FO is going to take on these negotiations, I don't see anything getting done.

I'd even be inclined to throw in a Tillman or Bergesen along with Jones and Andino for Jurrjens, Prado, and Minor.

Obviously, Teheran is the favorite, but that unrealistic IMO. What about sending Jones, Andino, and B. Bundy to ATL for Teheran and Prado?

I'm not sure yet, I have to take some time and think about it, but Andino is a younger, cheaper Prado that we can send ATL.

I'd ask for Jurrjens, Prado, and Teheran for Jones, Andino and B. Bundy (ATL says no, then we try and play Boras and try and get them to bite--if not then we counter with) Jurrjes, Prado, Minor/Beachy for that package.

So you know, the Marlins are looking for a CF'er....

Maybe now teams are realizing that AJ is available for pitching...

Pump your brakes there, fella, Andino is not even close to a younger, cheaper Prado. (Prado: Career OPS+ 108, Andino Career OPS+ 72) Plus Andino is only 18 months younger with 1 fewer year of service time.

I like how you're thinking though, I feel this is likely how trade negotiations like this go down; executives exchanging names of players they're interested in until they arrive at a package they each find agreeable. I can only hope we're happy with the result.

An important factor to remember here is that the Orioles allegedly turned down Jurrjens and Prado for Jones, asking for two top pitching prospects in addition. If a deal gets made, I think it's highly unlikely that the Braves give up anything less than Jurrjens/Prado/Beachy. Teheran won't be coming back but I don't think something like Jurrjens/Delgado/Minor is out of the question. Not likely, but not impossible.

We have very good reason to believe that neither the Braves nor the Orioles view Jurrjens as having value equal to Jones, and even adding in Prado apparently didn't bring Duquette much closer to pulling the trigger.

An important factor to remember here is that the Orioles allegedly turned down Jurrjens and Prado for Jones, asking for two top pitching prospects in addition. If a deal gets made, I think it's highly unlikely that the Braves give up anything less than Jurrjens/Prado/Beachy. Teheran won't be coming back but I don't think something like Jurrjens/Delgado/Minor is out of the question. Not likely, but not impossible.

We have very good reason to believe that neither the Braves nor the Orioles view Jurrjens as having value equal to Jones, and even adding in Prado apparently didn't bring Duquette much closer to pulling the trigger.

This is my thinking as well. I would do Jurjjens/Prado/Beachy and with no hesitation do the Jurrjens/Delgado/Minor deal. Hopefully we can get something done.

If you're suggesting a trade of Jones straight up for Minor would be acceptable for the Orioles then I'm just going to have to disagree. I like Minor a lot but that would not be an acceptable valuation of the risk involved.

I can only hope Minor is included in the trade package and that his value as a MLer does one day exceed Jones'. For right now I disagree that he has more overall value. Though if that's the perspective the ATL FO is going to take on these negotiations, I don't see anything getting done.

Of course it would not be acceptable, not because Jones is the better player, but because one can get more for Jones. I just think that Minor would be the centerpiece of the deal. You are extrapolating arguments from my statements that simply aren't there.

Of course it would not be acceptable, not because Jones is the better player, but because one can get more for Jones. I just think that Minor would be the centerpiece of the deal. You are extrapolating arguments from my statements that simply aren't there.

I'm trying hard not to, but you're explaining that you feel that Minor has more overall value than Adam Jones. That Minor would obviously not be traded for Jones straight up is my reasoning for disagreeing with you. That's all. I think the risk involved with young pitching prospects is the mitigating factor in undermining Minor's overall value, thus why we would only see him as part of a package for Jones.

We both want Minor in an Orioles uniform and I hope we get to see him succeed there. :)

I would do Jurjjens/Prado/Beachy

Are the Braves getting Matt Kemp or Ryan Braun back? If so, this won't be happening. Neither will JJ/Delgado/Minor. I can see the Braves getting rid of 2 of their 9 pitchers (not for Jones), but they won't give up 3 of them for anybody.

Are the Braves getting Matt Kemp or Ryan Braun back? If so, this won't be happening. Neither will JJ/Delgado/Minor. I can see the Braves getting rid of 2 of their 9 pitchers (not for Jones), but they won't give up 3 of them for anybody.

Which is why I said TWO of the pitches along with Martin Prado for Jones, Andino and B. Bundy.

I think the Os will get a good yield for Jones.

Of the Braves top nine pitchers, JJurrjens seems to be the one they want to part with most given his injuries/second half performance and his escalating cost. JJ can be nasty when he is on, but his second half numbers are poor. I really only see Jurrjens as one-third or so of the way to Adam Jones.

This deal comes together because of the Os poor SP results last year and because the Braves appear to want to upgrade their major league roster when dealing Jurrjens instead of picking up prospects.

Prado is an interesting piece, but he's the type of guy who could fade into Jerry Hairson/Mark DeRosa oblivion as much as he could emerge as a multi-year solid producer.

I believe the Os need at least one super-quality minor league piece to get this done (preferably from the stable of pitching prospects discussed) and another prospect.

Frank Wren is a pretty straight shooter in deals and gives up quality for a guy he wants which is why I am glad we are dealing with the Braves.

Obviously not right now, but yes, I do think he has more overall value, owing to Jones's salary and the fact that he is two years away from free agency, whereas Minor is still many years away.
With their organization quality SPs are plentiful ...A CF with 25 homer power and room/time to improve is quite valuable.

Right there is why that trade is perfect. Both clubs get exactly the pieces they need, for for pieces they don't need as much.

EDIT: And I'm a little behind... ^^^That was talking about Jones-Andino for Prado-Minor-another piece.

Interesting couple of paragraphs from a story about the impact of Jurrjen's injury last year coupled with Hanson's increasing discomfort at the time:

Hanson will not skip his next start, the Braves announced Sunday, although that status could change depending on Hanson's level of discomfort. Any further limitations to the rotation would be cause for concern, since the Braves' success relies heavily on their pitching: Highlighting how anemic their offense is, the Braves' four through six hitters in Sunday's lineup had batting averages of .220, .220 and .234.

Pitching is the common thread among Atlanta, Philadelphia and San Francisco, but at least the Phillies have Ryan Howard and Chase Utley and the Giants have Pablo Sandoval and Carlos Beltran. The Braves' regular lineup includes just three players batting above .260 and no one slugging above .515.

The Braves need their pitchers healthy. It's all they've got.

The story is from August 7, 2011, and the Braves' season didn't end well as we know. While I tend to agree that a lot of the trade ideas being batted back and forth in this thread are weighted in the Orioles' favor, an outfielder with some potential would be very useful to the Braves at the moment.

http://www.nesn.com/2011/08/jair-jurrjens-injury-alone-wont-hamper-braves-but-tommy-hansons-uncertain-condition-cause-for-concer.html

One week after this article, 21-year-old Randall Delgado made his second start of the year for the Braves pitching 6 no-hit innings before before being pulled in the seventh after giving up a lead-off HR. Must be nice having this kind of depth.

Let's face it dude ...Your not the mouthpiece for the Braves front office. 1st saying their front office will or wont do this or that without IMO is stating it to be fact like you have some insider information. The Braves offense stinks as bad as the Orioles pitching. They need to make a move that improves their offense. The Orioles cant afford to give Jones up and walk away with a package of Jurrjens (a serious injury concern), Prado (wait more injury concerns), and 1 of the Braves pitching prospects. If the Braves were as adamant as you are the two teams wouldnt still be talking IMO. The Orioles need a couple of near ready pitching prospects for Jones and cant afford to trade him for injury liabilities. As you might recall the rumors has the Braves offering Jurrjens, Prado, and a pitching prospect. A package the Orioles already balked at. They are rumored to have countered asking for 2 of the pitching propects. A demand the Braves werent crazy about. If the Orioles were out in LF the two teams wouldnt be talking IMO.

The difference between Jones and Braun/Kemp are that the two names you mention are controlled long term and NOT available. So they cant be had for the players mentioned in the thread IMO. Jones still has upside & certainly will be given a extension by the Braves.

Archived