#Orioles and #Braves are making progress on an Adam Jones deal. Hearing Jurrjens is involved

Greg

i understand the loss in veolocity but how much of that was from his surgically repaired knee not being 100%? Did great in the beginning but it could of taken its toll. As for coming here you could say that about any pitcher having to pitch in the AL east, and have to pitch at Camden Yards. Greg Maddux in his prime coming to Balt would still have had less success here then he did. But we are far from being as bad as Coors field was in the 90's.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sure the Braves aren't the only team we're talking to at this point.

Agreed. It'll be interesting to see if the Braves "up the ante" if other teams get involved. Who would be some of the other teams though? The White Sox maybe?

I'm sure the Braves aren't the only team we're talking to at this point.

I agree (hope). To trade a 26 year old emerging/improving star, you need to get high ceiling players with 1-2 years of service time or less. It's an opportunity that doesn't happen often...and certainly not for the Orioles. Being influenced by your current roster makeup/needs is nearsighted IMO when you're a team nowhere close to contention. Our return for Jones should be 100% aimed towards the long term. Prado and Jurrjens are fine players who could make the O's better for the next couple of years, but that's missing the larger need/opportunity.

i understand the loss in veolocity but how much of that was from his surgically repaired knee not being 100%? Did great in the beginning but it could of taken its toll. As for coming here you could say that about any pitcher having to pitch in the AL east, and have to pitch at Camden Yards. Greg Maddux in his prime coming to Balt would still have had less success here then he did. But we are far from being as bad as Coors field was in the 90's.

Right. Which is why you want a higher-upside pitcher than Jurrjens.

Who else needs an upgrade at CF and has good pitching prospects to trade?

I hate this question.

No offense to you and its not that its not a worthy question of asking or trying to figure out...but the idea that we should be looking at just pitching prospects is just wrong.

What does this team have long term in terms of offensive prospects? Our OF prospects are terrible. CI is poor. We have very little power.

We are pretty good in terms of MI prospects but those guys are 2+ years away.

This organization needs EVERYTHING.

Here's an angle that I haven't seen discussed yet:

What impact do all these trade rumors have on our likelihood of extending Jones? Have we burnt our bridge with him? Does he see the team as disloyal (in reference to his Twitter post about loyalty)? If we don't trade him to the Braves, do we pretty much have to trade him to some other team now?

I hate this question.

No offense to you and its not that its not a worthy question of asking or trying to figure out...but the idea that we should be looking at just pitching prospects is just wrong.

What does this team have long term in terms of offensive prospects? Our OF prospects are terrible. CI is poor. We have very little power.

Everybody could use a little of every thing, but when you have so few trade chips you have to set priiorities. Pitching has to be number one. Then if it's deep and some of it pans out you can trade it for bats. .

I hate this question.

You are correct. I was asking mostly because it seems that young pitching is what DD is focused on getting (according to reports anyway). More appropriate question: Who needs an upgrade at CF and would be willing to move some good prospects to get one?

You are correct. I was asking mostly because it seems that young pitching is what DD is focused on getting (according to reports anyway). More appropriate question: Who needs an upgrade at CF and would be willing to move some good prospects to get one?

Right...and that's what I meant when I said I hate this question.

I hate how the Orioles are focused solely on pitching.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that pitching should be in the deal. But I would like to get one very good position prospect as well....unless you have those prospects coming back in other deals.

Are the Braves getting Matt Kemp or Ryan Braun back? If so, this won't be happening. Neither will JJ/Delgado/Minor. I can see the Braves getting rid of 2 of their 9 pitchers (not for Jones), but they won't give up 3 of them for anybody.

Regardless of whether or not you or any Braves fans think the trade is fair, it's been established that that's probably the minimum Duquette will accept. I'm not going to pretend I know what the Braves' FO is thinking, but if they want Jones, the package is going to have to top Jurrjens/Prado by a significant amount.

I'm trying hard not to, but you're explaining that you feel that Minor has more overall value than Adam Jones. That Minor would obviously not be traded for Jones straight up is my reasoning for disagreeing with you. That's all. I think the risk involved with young pitching prospects is the mitigating factor in undermining Minor's overall value, thus why we would only see him as part of a package for Jones.

We both want Minor in an Orioles uniform and I hope we get to see him succeed there. :)

I think we are dealing with different definitions of value. I think that to the Orioles future success, Minor is more valuable than Jones because he is cheaper longer and has more years until free agency. However, to the Braves, I think Jones is more valuable than Minor, because they are competitive now and Jones right now is a more valuable player than Minor. Also, because they have a surplus of young starting pitching at the moment and can probably afford to deal from a position of strength. Thus, I don't think it is a contradiction to say that a player like Minor would be more valuable to the Orioles than Jones, but the Braves will have to give up more than Minor in order to get Jones.

Or think of it this way: If both Minor and Jones were right now in the Orioles organization, which one would be more valuable to the Orioles, and less likely to be traded? I think the answer is obvious: Minor.

Hasn't Kansas City said that they wanted SP?

Jurrjens+ to the Orioles. Then Jurrjens to the Royals for 3-4???

***I think I would do the following:

1.) Trade for OF Seth Smith and CF Charlie Blackmon from the Rockies.

2.) Then TRY really hard to push for a Markakis, Andino, Blackmon to the Braves for Jurrjens, Prado + 1-2.

3.) Jurrjens to the Royals for 3 prospects.

Johnny steps up to the podium.

Yep ...Thats me ....I dont know what the Orioles are going to do. DD is hard to read other than he has a keen interest in improving the front office . Oh and he likes to add lots of fringe/bench/AAAA type guys. I certainly have no clue when Angelos will open up the wallet and stop acting like the Orioles are a small market team with no resources. I'd like to see them trade every position player who has any vaule including Wieters. They are far away from being competative IMO. And they dont want the Braves throw aways and Injury concerns for Jones. In addition before I take some criticism on the Wieters front I personally dont see Boras extending him here either ...So why not trade why his value is high?

The Braves have the same issue facing them with JJ that Houston had facing them with Wandy Rodriguez. They have a pitcher that is effective for them, but that other teams are not sold on as a safe bet to translate performance to the AL. The result is that the Braves will have a hard time getting the value they want for JJ, and AL teams will struggle to get comfotable with the level of compensation that ATL is looking for.

Some differences in the Braves favor include the fact that JJ is younger and cheaper. Some differences workign against the Braves is that there is legit injury concern tied to JJ and his peripherals are not as strong as are Wandy's.

Archived