#Orioles and #Braves are making progress on an Adam Jones deal. Hearing Jurrjens is involved

Greg

A few thoughts...... First, now that the cat is out of the bag with our willingness to deal Jones, why wouldn't we slow play this just a little to see if someone else wants to raise the stakes? Second, given that he's two years from free agency, is it wrong to assume that it's more Atlanta pushing Jurrgens than us desiring him? I would rather have Prado (only because they have to move him t make room for Jones and we could use him at 2B) and a group of their top prospects. Ideally, we wouldn't have to deal for Prado at all and we could truly focus on maximizing young talent as our return for one of our few trading pieces. I have a hard time believing that a deal for AJ that returns Jurrjens/Prado/other is the best long term return we can get for Jones......unless as has been mentioned in this thread (SG?), we have a second deal in place to spin Jurrjens for prospects. Third, it's nice to see the O's being proactive. If this comes out right in the end, I'll feel better about our longer term chances to make changes. Right about now is where I am conditioned to expect Angelos to step in.

The bolded might have already happend with the last 'leak' of a trade between the Braves and Orioles. Or, this could be the attempt to get another team involved to up the anty. If it's near the final stages, it could be DD letting it slip to give him more leverage to squeak out a slightly better prospect or a 3rd or 4th player.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The bolded might have already happend with the last 'leak' of a trade between the Braves and Orioles. Or, this could be the attempt to get another team involved to up the anty. If it's near the final stages, it could be DD letting it slip to give him more leverage to squeak out a slightly better prospect or a 3rd or 4th player.

I'd like that to be true! As excruciating as it was with the Bedard deal, AM used time to his advantage.

I think something might happen this week but then again the trades or free agent signings might never happen. Dominos could fall. I think the O's want to get two pitchers and an outfielder and another vet catcher to be in the minors in case of injury. Alot of talk but most trades never happen. Prado is interesting because he can also play second base if Roberts can't. Should be an interesting two weeks at least. People wanted O's rumors,you now have some. Fielder is not coming here.

I don't think there is a way in hell we would get that for Jones, would be sweet though.

Agreed. If the trade happens, they would want to add Jones to Bourn and Heyward in the outfield. I think it Jones ends up with the Braves, you see him move to LF (as the O's should have done with him). To me, Bourn and Jones hold similar value. Bourn has a better OBP and is more of a lead-off type with better defense. Jones has the better power (obviously), but I don't see him as anything more than a .320-.330 OBP guy.

I don't think Crisp was ever coming to the O's. I think we are talking to some clubs. Astros,Braves,Dbacks,Rockies and Cubs. I see a free agent pitcher signed this week. Not sure if it will be International or not,but Ithink the Os want one in the fold to work on other things.

I agree about Crisp....If the Orioles are trading Jones then I want them all over Cepedes. Less of a chance they signed him if they had wasted a 2/5 per deal on Crisp.

I think the main thing here is that we cant afford to screw this up. Jones is our best trade piece and we need to get a quality return. I'm not as high on JJ (unless we are flipping him) or Prado, but whatever we get we need to make this trade count if we want to be out of the cellar in the next 3 to 5 years.

Perhaps,the O's are not that high on Jurjjens and want a different package or better prospects with him..

I think this could be right...Is it possible the Braves are trying to dump Jurrjens salary?

They are certainly aware of the injury and the recovery.

I think the main thing here is that we cant afford to screw this up. Jones is our best trade piece and we need to get a quality return. I'm not as high on JJ (unless we are flipping him) or Prado, but whatever we get we need to make this trade count if we want to be out of the cellar in the next 3 to 5 years.

I agree with this 100%. I can do with or without Jones but if we end up trading him it better be a damn good return or else we're screwed even further.

Archived