Intentional Talk (Kevin Millar) discusses Jones for Jurrjens and Prado...

andrewrickli

They're not running him out of town, Trea! We can a really big haul for Adam. Atlanta wants him BAD.

Yes they are. Nobody is talking extension. Nobody is even really raising the subject just assuming that he won't want to extend in Baltimore.

And they are right as of now, and it's because this franchise has not shown it is serious about winning.

That's the problem. We need to keep players like Jones instead of trading him away.

Did the Yankees of the 90's deal away Bernie Williams, or Andy Pettitte, or Derek Jeter?

Did the Red Sox deal away Mo Vaughn, or John Valentin, or Jason Varitek?

No they didn't. They built around them and replaced them over time.

When are we finally going to build around a core group of players? Because the Oakland method does not work. Oakland has constant roster turnover and they've had no success since they had that core back with Tejada, Giambi and the Big Three. Once they blew them up, and kept blowing things up every few years, they kept getting nowhere. And now they've traded Gio Gonzalez and they are rebuilding for the umpteenth time.

People are getting too prospect happy IMO because they think those prospects will automatically reach their ceiling and pan out because of scouting reports and BA blurbs.

Everybody is salivating about getting more pitching prospects that could flame out just like all the other ones that we've had had flamed out. And Atlanta loves giving stinkers to teams. They know which prospects are going to bust which is why they want to deal them.

Pitching is available elsewhere without trading Adam Jones.

We do not need more unproven talent if we want this to be an above .500 team in 2012.

If you want to go that route with unproven talent, you'd better go all in and deal Wieters as well because you won't get enough back from Jones to build a winning core for 2014.

But at some point this madness has to end. This franchise has to commit to a core group of players and go for it.

That time should be now, after 14 years of losing and 4 years of waiting for this core to be where it is now.

I know I'm not going to watch another half-assed effort again by this club. I'm sick of that.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only way to make up for the loss of Jones would be to sign Fielder IMO. A lot of fans are going to hate to see Jones and his offense go, and the Orioles don't have anybody including Reimold that can make that up.

Trading Jones is waiving a white flag IMO.

Right the only way to replace a 2.9 WAR player who stands to cost 5 M in arb., is to sign a 5.5 WAR player for 25 M per. :rolleyestf:

The only way to make up for the loss of Jones would be to sign Fielder IMO. A lot of fans are going to hate to see Jones and his offense go, and the Orioles don't have anybody including Reimold that can make that up.

How is that waiving a white flag? Jones wasn't worth that much WAR in 2011...

Either way, a deal is happening soon, within the next week. After talking to he and his mom, I am fairly certain of this. Regardless of where he goes, he is going to want to win, and he will work hard now for whoever team he will be playing with in 2012 he said.

Kevin Millar is about as dumb as they come as a baseball analyst. I can tolerate Harold Reynolds because he's actually funny. Millar isn't even funny.

There you go being the diplomat again. Did Millar have his big red nose on this time?

Fair enough. However, we have done a TERRIBLE job at developing pitching, and obtaining it. We can make the argument that Duquette will turn that around, but that will take time, and you want to win now, as do I Trea. But whatever Adam Jones brings us with the bat, I will bet that Reimold would as well, and nolan will get on base more.

Don't get me wrong, Adam is a great player, but we need pitching, and we need it badly. We don't offer more than 3 years to pitchers (so you can rule out any TOR free agent pitchers) and we haven't developed a legit starting pitcher since Britton, and even now he is a question mark as to what he will be.

I just feel like we should trade Jones, and get a TOR starter, and Prado, a VERY good ball player while Jone's value is still high, I think we can match Jone's production somewhow, but how? I'm not sure yet.

And Nolan is faster. Not even close.

Either way, a deal is happening soon, within the next week. After talking to he and his mom, I am fairly certain of this. Regardless of where he goes, he is going to want to win, and he will work hard now for whoever team he will be playing with in 2012 he said.

I wish him all the best! Hell, if I was Adam... and it looked like I was going from the Orioles to the Braves? The team that missed the playoffs by one fateful night last year.......

If I'm Adam I'm doing cartwheels. And that's not even a disparage against the O's. Atlanta probably has a little better chance to be playing meaningful September and October baseball. ESPECIALLY with two wildcards...

How is that waiving a white flag? Jones wasn't worth that much WAR in 2011...

Ah, don't let facts get in JTrea's way! All of a sudden a 2.9 WAR player is someone we have to build around at all costs.

Yes they are. Nobody is talking extension. Nobody is even really raising the subject just assuming that he won't want to extend in Baltimore.

Are you not paying attention dude? http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/117399-Is-there-an-extension-in-the-works-for-Jones

Extensions have been talked about a lot, no one is "running him out of town." Just quit it with your hyperbole dude.

Ah, don't let facts get in JTrea's way! All of a sudden a 2.9 WAR player is someone we have to build around at all costs.

Are you not paying attention dude? http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/117399-Is-there-an-extension-in-the-works-for-Jones

Extensions have been talked about a lot, no one is "running him out of town." Just quit it with your hyperbole dude.

People have talked more about trading Jones this offseason than any other potential move we can make. And they've been giddy when doing it salivating over the "prospect of the day." That's "running him out of town" in my book.

Even Roch keeps mentioning it.

I've seen far less talk of what it would take to extend him or what moves we could make to convince Jones to stay.

People want him gone because of his defense and his attitude IMO. Wieters' defense is better at his position and his attitude is percieved to be better so he's the more popular player of the two.

And then they justify the move by saying Reimold who is older than Jones already and hasn't shown as much, will fill the void. Or better yet, Matt Angle's defense will be so great in CF, that we will be able to ignore his Fahey like tendencies at the plate.

Why aren't more people talking about trading Wieters given the propensity for catchers to break down and be bad extension candidates?

He is our best trade chip after all...

People have talked more about trading Jones this offseason than any other potential move we can make. And they've been giddy when doing it salavating over the "prospect of the day." That's "running him out of town" in my book.

Even Roch keeps mentioning it.

I've seen far less talk of what it would take to extend him or what moves we could make to convince Jones to stay.

People want him gone because of his defense and his attitude IMO. Wieters' defense is better at his position and his attitude is percieved to be better so he's the more popular player of the two.

Why aren't more people talking about trading Wieters given the propensity for catchers to break down and be bad extension candidates?

He is our best trade chip after all...

I was a huge O's fan when Murray was "run out of town", and I don't think Jones falls into that category. Talk show callers and hosts were saying awful things about him. Some sportswriters were saying bad things about him. Eddie kind of played into it after ownership said some negative things and that caused some others to jump on board with it as well.

I haven't noticed anyone here saying bad things about Adam Jones other than that he likely doesn't want to extend here...and I don't think anyone blames him for that.

I think "run out of town" is a bit strong.

I was a huge O's fan when Murray was "run out of town", and I don't think Jones falls into that category. Talk show callers and hosts were saying awful things about him. Some sportswriters were saying bad things about him. Eddie kind of played into it after ownership said some negative things and that caused some others to jump on board with it as well.

I haven't noticed anyone here saying bad things about Adam Jones other than that he likely doesn't want to extend here...and I don't think anyone blames him for that.

I think "run out of town" is a bit strong.

Apparently you can run someone out of town just by discussing a potential trade. What a bunch of terrible fans we are.

You have to give up talent to get talent. All of the players mentioned are talented. Let's be up front about this. All teams trade a player or players for a reason or different reasons. If they have done their homework they are making the correct move for the team. If they think a player is leaving when they become a FA or they are less than satisfied being with the team they move them if they are smart. I can tell you someone I know closely connected with the team told me a couple of years ago some things about a player no longer with the team. I don't know if they have their only spies/detectives watching their players or mlb does because that was mentioned in the conversation. They knew this player was hitting a number of clubs/bars in town and staying out late at night. It wasn't Sidney if anyone is curious. When players live out of town we don't know what they are doing. Don't blow this out of proportion. I'm not saying anything bad about AJ. I am okay with him or without him. I still say if we are able to land a big bat like Fielder that AJ will be swinging for the fences even more than he does right now thinking the HR'S will get him another 2-4 million per year on his next contract. If the scouts and FO thinks they are receiving an offer too good to turn down they should take it.

Trading Jones is getting rid of a player that doesn't want to play here. He's gotten big enough for his britches that he thinks he wants to go play for a contender now instead of doing his time and earning his way to one.

I can't say that JJ/Prado is my favorite scenario to get back for him, but after all this he's gotta go either way. He's not some MVP candidate, and if he's not hitting 30HR here, he's not going to hit it somewhere else. People need to stop acting like we are trading Cal Ripken here and get over it. Whiners...SMH. :ohlord:

Archived