Update on Jones to the Braves for Jurrjens, Prado, Plus

Roll Tide

Who do the Braves currently have at SS and UTIF?

The two major weaknesses of the team. Tyler Pastornicky will be the SS this year. Rookie who has had only 110 AB's in AAA. Not only is it a year too soon, he's not even that good.

As for utility, they have nothing. Been rumored on every backup infielder pretty much all offseason, but have yet to make a move there. They have waited too long, and now all choices are pretty much terrible. Ryan Theriot is the lastest guy to be thrown around.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much would it take to get JJ + Teheran? Jones + what?

Prado would be nice, but ultimately I don't care that much about him. We need the pitching. JJ and Teheran would speed the rebuild up rapidly IMO.

Could a deal like this work?:

JJ/Teheran/Prado for Jones/Matusz

Prado would be nice, but ultimately I don't care that much about him. We need the pitching. JJ and Teheran would speed the rebuild up rapidly IMO.

That's an interesting thought. It would depend on what ATL thinks of Matusz, and whether he can work out in their system.

The two major weaknesses of the team. Tyler Pastornicky will be the SS this year. Rookie who has had only 110 AB's in AAA. Not only is it a year too soon, he's not even that good.

As for utility, they have nothing. Been rumored on every backup infielder pretty much all offseason, but have yet to make a move there. They have waited too long, and now all choices are pretty much terrible. Ryan Theriot is the lastest guy to be thrown around.

Sure sounds to me like they could use Andino. An excellent defensive SS a very good and improving 2B, and 3B is his best fielding position. He ought to hit at least as well as Pastornicky.

Maybe add Andino....gives Braves more flexibility..(i.e. SS) than Prado does.....

If this is the case, if the Braves’ focus with Colorado had indeed shifted from center-field prospect to pitching prospect in package with Smith, then to me that’s an indication Atlanta was and probably still is trying to get center fielder Adam Jones from Baltimore, and would use any pitching prospect it received from Colorado either to replace the one that the Braves might lose in a deal for Jones, or actually use that pitching prospect from the Rockies as part of a package Atlanta would send to Baltimore for Jones because the Braves wouldn’t agree to part with one of their own pitching prospects that the O’s covet.

More info....

I like Jurrjens, but why Prado would be coming back is a mystery to me-- unless we hope he rebounds and can net more in a trade later. Still, I would have to really like that third player coming back to accept a [Jurrjens, Prado, plus a prospect] package.
Prado is a good OBP guy, who is a league average 2B, and a plus 3B. Considering that 3B is our worst defensive position a +5 3B with a .750ish OPS and a 350ish OBP would be a big improvement.

Sure sounds to me like they could use Andino

Definitely. I've said that a few times on here. He'd be perfect, but I highly doubt the Braves would send over a top prospect back just to get Andino. More than likely you would just add on someone like Spruill or Carlos Perez.

More info....

This is making me think that the deal will be for JJ, young starting pitcher from Braves and young starting pitcher from Rox. Maybe JJ, Minor+. I love Adam Jones, but two quality starters and a third pitcher with upside probably make this deal too good to pass up IMO.

This is making me think that the deal will be for JJ, young starting pitcher from Braves and young starting pitcher from Rox. Maybe JJ, Minor+. I love Adam Jones, but two quality starters and a third pitcher with upside probably make this deal too good to pass up IMO.

My hope is they get JJ, one of Minor, Beachy, Teheran & One other Braves pitching prospect. They can keep the guy they get from the Rockies.

I wouldn't want Prado not sure why he HAS TO BE in the deal. I do not think that highly or Jurrjens either.

Thank you! It's about time someone else said this. Jurrjens should not be the centerpiece of any deal involving Jones. Why do you think that the Braves are offering Jurrjens in the first place? Because they know that he is the least likely to get much better than he already is. They have the likes of Hanson, Beachy, Minor, Teheran, Delgado, etc. and there is a reason that they are hesitant with including those guys in any trade. This really irks me. Adam Jones is a very good, young CF with plenty of upside and the Braves are basically dictating what they want to give us for him. It should be the other way around. We should be telling the Braves who we want (without being ridiculous of course) and if they aren't willing to inlcude some of their better prospects, then oh well...time to move on. You know the saying...in order to get something good, you have to giveup something good in return and we would be foolish to settle for Jurrjens. In my opinion, Jurrjens is only marginally better than Guthrie. He doesn't strikeout a lot of batters and I just don't see him as the ace of a staff. I really pray that DD understands this because I for one, would be extremely ticked if we traded a young, top 10 CF (I think that is fair to say) in the game and we get back Jurrjens and a marginal prospect or two.

I still don't understand Jurrjens. It seems to me that Jurrjens would be taking the hypothetical place of multiple prospects in any deal that involves Jones, and that makes zero sense for the Orioles. Regardless of how glaring the team's pitching woes are, the Orioles' offense isn't going to set the world on fire as presently constituted, and there is absolutely no one in the minors "waiting in the wings" to replace Jones. Accordingly, one would hope that a Jones trade would bring some offensive talent (NOT Prado) into the organization as well.

Three pitchers sounds good and all...but the O's need help everywhere. Tying up a significant percentage of a Jones return in Jurrjens...well, I just don't like it.

Thank you! It's about time someone else said this. Jurrjens should not be the centerpiece of any deal involving Jones. Why do you think that the Braves are offering Jurrjens in the first place? Because they know that he is the least likely to get much better than he already is. They have the likes of Hanson, Beachy, Minor, Teheran, Delgado, etc. and there is a reason that they are hesitant with including those guys in any trade. This really irks me. Adam Jones is a very good, young CF with plenty of upside and the Braves are basically dictating what they want to give us for him. It should be the other way around. We should be telling the Braves who we want (without being ridiculous of course) and if they aren't willing to inlcude some of their better prospects, then oh well...time to move on. You know the saying...in order to get something good, you have to giveup something good in return and we would be foolish to settle for Jurrjens. In my opinion, Jurrjens is only marginally better than Guthrie. He doesn't strikeout a lot of batters and I just don't see him as the ace of a staff. I really pray that DD understands this because I for one, would be extremely ticked if we traded a young, top 10 CF (I think that is fair to say) in the game and we get back Jurrjens and a marginal prospect or two.

My last post...also known as "what he (you) said."

Archived