Roberts to miss FanFest to avoid stress, Duquette wants him to reconsider

JTrea81

The odds we ever see Brob leading off and playing second base seem pretty slim. If you watched the espn piece on Roberts he spoke about how he couldn't be on the bench because it aggravated his symptoms. My guess is that he is still suffering in the same fashion. Even if he were to be given the all clear at some point I'd question coming back for fear of another concussion. I mean we're pushing a year here and he's still not right. Why would you put yourself in a high risk position for reinjury?

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.ehow.com/how_2082635_rest-following-concussion.html.

Check out the first things to avoid. Brian may just be being overly cautious, but it falls in line with what you should do to be safe.

Right but if he is still at that stage in late Jan then what does that say for this season?

I think we all agree that his health, both immediate and long term, is the first priority.

I don't blame him for missing FanFest, because avoiding brightly-lit places and crowds are things that one should do while recovering from a concussion.

However, if he's bad off enough where attending that event will have detrimental effects on his health, he won't be playing baseball anytime soon, and in all likelihood, ever again.

I think anyone who is criticizing Roberts here is completely off base. Has anyone here had PCS or known anyone to have it? Let me help you out.

The abbreviation PCS may also be used to mean post-concussion symptoms. Symptoms can appear immediately, or weeks to months after the initial injury. Their severity lessens progressively over time. The nature of the symptoms tends to change over time: they are most commonly of a physical nature following the injury, but tend to become predominantly psychological later. Signs and symptoms such as noise sensitivity, problems with concentration and memory, irritability, depression, anxiety, fatigue, and poor judgment may be called 'late symptoms' because they generally do not occur immediately after the injury, but rather days or weeks after.[13] Nausea and drowsiness commonly occur two to four weeks after concussion and can be long lasting. Also, headache and dizziness occur immediately after the injury and can be long lasting.

Source: wikipedia - criticize it all you want, I can find the same information elsewhere.

Roberts is in a physical and emotional hell and you want to criticize him for not signing autographs. Would you like to have any of the bolded symptoms in the middle of a convention center surrounded by thousands of people?

I just have a strong feeling we will see Roberts rehab diligently for the remainder of his contract despite having no realistic shot to play again, and then retire. That would disappoint me, considering he hit himself on the head with a bat. I think the moral thing to do would be work out a settlement with the team for part of his remaining contract and retire. I'm sure he won't, but it has happened. I'd like to think that I'd do it in his shoes.

Again: he hit himself on the head with a bat.

I think anyone who is criticizing Roberts here is completely off base. Has anyone here had PCS or known anyone to have it? Let me help you out.

Source: wikipedia - criticize it all you want, I can find the same information elsewhere.

Roberts is in a physical and emotional hell and you want to criticize him for not signing autographs. Would you like to have any of the bolded symptoms in the middle of a convention center surrounded by thousands of people?

Thanl you for adding some reason to this conversation.

Archived