Roberts to miss FanFest to avoid stress, Duquette wants him to reconsider

JTrea81

I don't blame him for missing FanFest, because avoiding brightly-lit places and crowds are things that one should do while recovering from a concussion.

However, if he's bad off enough where attending that event will have detrimental effects on his health, he won't be playing baseball anytime soon, and in all likelihood, ever again.

This is how I feel. I have no idea what Roberts' current medical condition is, and his health certainly comes before franchise fanfare, but if he can't sign autographs, then the Orioles and Roberts need to figure something out about his future baseball career. I admit I don't know much about concussions, but this has been going on for damn near forever now. Are there any other cases we know where a baseball player experienced these sorts of medical problems and came back even 75% the player they were before?

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having suffered multiple concussions in my life both on and off the field I can tell you how helpless one can feel and how little can aggravate it. I doubt my concussion symptoms were as serious as his too. Some people are simply more susceptible and sensitive to the symptoms and triggers. As a fan I understand the frustration and worry about the future for him professionally but how dare some of you question his heart, desire, passion, or dedication. The man was a gamer and devoted to the O's, the city and fans, especially the youth, for years so put yourself in his shoes before you judge.

I just have a strong feeling we will see Roberts rehab diligently for the remainder of his contract despite having no realistic shot to play again, and then retire. That would disappoint me, considering he hit himself on the head with a bat. I think the moral thing to do would be work out a settlement with the team for part of his remaining contract and retire. I'm sure he won't, but it has happened. I'd like to think that I'd do it in his shoes.

Again: he hit himself on the head with a bat.

I'd be a little surprised if we didn't hear talk over the next several months (if Roberts can't play) about working out a settlement of what's owed on his contract. As you pointed out, we're talking about a self-inflicted injury.

Then again, wasn't most of Belle's contract covered by insurance? Would Roberts' case be any different if he couldn't keep playing?

That's it. I've officially had enough of Roberts.

It's a month before he's to report to Spring Training, he hasn't played 100 games combined in the last two years, and he isn't healthy enough to talk to and sign his name on a piece of paper for a 10 year old kid.

This has gone on too long. He can't play baseball anymore. I love the guy, and appreciate everything he did here, but it's over.

I'm sorry, but I side with Duquette on this one. I'm all for people worrying about their own safety/well-being/future, but I don't see why he can't make an appearance and sing a few autographs.

Is writing your name really that stressful?

Roberts = done. This is silly...somehow he can "avoid stress" and be ready to play ST as a ML'er in a month? The phrase "How far the mighty have fallen" comes to mind. Geesh....Brob was one of my favorite players but this is LAME.
I think it is all bs on Roberts part. He is showing no commitment to this team any more.

These comments irritate me. This is a guy who has done a TON for the Baltimore community over the years. He gets the full benefit of the doubt on this. I am sure he is having symptoms that aren't good and his doctors don't want him pushing it. It is too bad, but I guarantee you Roberts isn't looking for an excuse not to come out and do something for the fans.

I think we can forget about BRob playing baseball this year. Concussions are mysterious, you never know when symptoms will recede. That's why I doubt he will just retire, because there's a chance he will at some point emerge and be able to play, even if it isn't in 2012.

These comments irritate me. This is a guy who has done a TON for the Baltimore community over the years. He gets the full benefit of the doubt on this. I am sure he is having symptoms that aren't good and his doctors don't want him pushing it. It is too bad, but I guarantee you Roberts isn't looking for an excuse not to come out and do something for the fans.

I think we can forget about BRob playing baseball this year. Concussions are mysterious, you never know when symptoms will recede. That's why I doubt he will just retire, because there's a chance he will at some point emerge and be able to play, even if it isn't in 2012.

Nobody thinks he's sitting at home completely healthy and is just skipping it cause he's selfish. Brian's a great guy. But he's been making truckloads of cash, on a team that doesn't have many trucks of cash, to not play baseball. And that doesn't look like it's going to change anytime soon.

Wait a minute. You may not want to interrupt this group rant with some rational thought.

I'd be a little surprised if we didn't hear talk over the next several months (if Roberts can't play) about working out a settlement of what's owed on his contract. As you pointed out, we're talking about a self-inflicted injury.

Then again, wasn't most of Belle's contract covered by insurance? Would Roberts' case be any different if he couldn't keep playing?

I certainly have hope Roberts works out a settlement, and not so we can save 5M or something and spend it on one year of a bargain-bin free agent. I just think it's the honorable thing to do. But I've been reading a lot of Game of Thrones recently. :P

I just have a strong feeling we will see Roberts rehab diligently for the remainder of his contract despite having no realistic shot to play again, and then retire. That would disappoint me, considering he hit himself on the head with a bat. I think the moral thing to do would be work out a settlement with the team for part of his remaining contract and retire. I'm sure he won't, but it has happened. I'd like to think that I'd do it in his shoes.

Again: he hit himself on the head with a bat.

Yeah, you've said this a few times. I'm not sure why that has anything to do with what Roberts should or shouldn't do. It's not like he went out looking to injure himself. He did something in a moment of frustration. I don't understand why it seems you're holding that against him.

Considering how many visits he's made to different area children's hospitals over his time here, I sincerely doubt "shafting the fans" was on his short list of things to do.

But if I were reading this thread, I'd probably add it.

I certainly have hope Roberts works out a settlement, and not so we can save 5M or something and spend it on one year of a bargain-bin free agent. I just think it's the honorable thing to do. But I've been reading a lot of Game of Thrones recently. :P

Even if he gets all twenty million, hopefully they can works something out where he's getting two million a year over the next ten years. Something like that.

He might not be able to do either.

If you can't sign autographs for kids, how are you supposed to work out and do baseball activities? Aren't those somewhat stressful on the body as well?

Sounds like he either has agoraphobia or he just doesn't feel like signing autographs

I'm with Roberts on this one. As an Orioles fan, I care only about his health...I don't give a **** if he shows up to some dog & pony show to sign autographs for 10-year-old brats. Personally, I never understood the allure of the autograph anyway. Roberts should focus on his recovery, period. And it's obvious from all the setbacks he's had that his recovery goes well beyond trying to avoid getting dinged in the head again.

But I do agree that this is probably a sign he won't be able to play in 2012.

Fair enough Frobby. I'm irritated also. In an economy where many people are un-employed.....it is quite irritating that someone gets $10M to NOT perform their job based at least partially on a self-inflicted and unwise action.

Nobody thinks he's sitting at home completely healthy and is just skipping it cause he's selfish. Brian's a great guy. But he's been making truckloads of cash, on a team that doesn't have many trucks of cash, to not play baseball. And that doesn't look like it's going to change anytime soon.

That's kind of how the system works. If it were the NFL, they could just cut him and wash their hands. In baseball, contracts actually mean something. I'm sure he'd retire if he were instructed by his physicians that it was the smart thing to do. But until that occurs, why should he? He's a competitive person, is probably frustrated and scared by what's happening to him, and will keep trying to overcome it until he's told it isn't happening for him anymore.

Archived