Darren O'Day

33rdst

Except that he's a righty who is a flyball pitcher who put up an amazing 26.9 FB/HR% last season. Let's hope he can get back to the guy he was in 2009-2010 or we just signed Jeremy Accardo for $1.3 million.

But this statistic fluctuates pretty wildly from year to year and appears to be largely out of the control of the pitcher. HR/FB% swings about an individual's mean which usually doesn't deviate terribly from the league mean. And O'Day's career mark is 8.5%. So, over 16.2 innings, all that statistic shows is why some SSS burps can inflate the ERA of a guy who posted a 3+ K/BB rate. His xFIP over the same sample was 3.86, about where it's been for his career.

That said, 1.3 MM is probably on the outer threshold of what I'd feel comfortable giving to a reliever of his skillset.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But this statistic fluctuates pretty wildly from year to year and appears to be largely out of the control of the pitcher. HR/FB% swings about an individual's mean which usually doesn't deviate terribly from the league mean. And O'Day's career mark is 8.5%. So, over 16.2 innings, all that statistic shows is why some SSS burps can inflate the ERA of a guy who posted a 3+ K/BB rate. His xFIP over the same sample was 3.86, about where it's been for his career.

That said, 1.3 MM is probably on the outer threshold of what I'd feel comfortable giving to a reliever of his skillset.

Just because I threw up a quick stat doesn't mean I think it's the guy's new norm. All of O'Day's numbers took a hit last season including all of his pitch values. He had a hip surgery and eventually came back, but he wasn't as effective. The question is, why did the Rangers give up on him if they thought he could return to his glory? My only question in all of this is what do they know that we don't? I mean, he was one of the best relievers in the AL in 2009-10. You would think he would be worth a $1.3 million gamble if you thought he was going to return to form.

Just because I threw up a quick stat doesn't mean I think it's the guy's new norm. All of O'Day's numbers took a hit last season including all of his pitch values. He had a hip surgery and eventually came back, but he wasn't as effective. The question is, why did the Rangers give up on him if they thought he could return to his glory? My only question in all of this is what do they know that we don't? I mean, he was one of the best relievers in the AL in 2009-10. You would think he would be worth a $1.3 million gamble if you thought he was going to return to form.

I've got no issues with that logic. But when one points out a 30% HR/FB% the first thing that jumps into my brain is "regression."

• 3 years later...
Perhaps the amazing FB/HR% is due to the fact that he was incorrectly pitching with his right hand? Now that he knows he's supposed to be a big, strong lefty, all of his ills will be cured?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Stat mentioned by MASN: Hitters are 0-for-11 and have struck out seven times with the bases loaded against Darren O'Day this year. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Luke Jones (@BaltimoreLuke) <a href="

">June 20, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wow talk about bumping a post from the dead

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I am going to assume he is a lot closer to the pitcher he was in his first 164 major league innings (and his 145 minor league innings) than the pitcher he was in the 17 innings he threw last season. A 1.3 million dollar mistake would not exactly cripple the franchise and I expect him to be a solid 7th inning guy. He seems like a guy that is likely to be undervalued to to his unorthodox delivery even though he has had a great deal of success at every level in the majors and minors every season with the exception of his 17 MLB innings in 2011.

Hey, if it makes me look smart then I am all for it!

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

o

(vs. INDIANS, 5/29)

o

DARREN CHRISTOPHER O'DAY

DARREN CHRISTOPHER O'DAY

DARREN CHRISTOPHER O'DAY

DARREN CHRISTOPHER O'DAY

DARREN CHRISTOPHER O'DAY

DARREN CHRISTOPHER O'DAY

DARREN CHRISTOPHER O'DAY

I couldn't let the morning pass without posting something about the amazing Darren O'Day.

The O's ahead 5-4 in the 8th, Brach puts runners on 2nd and 3rd with no one out. The Indians grab the late inning momentum at home.

Darren enters the game.

Cleveland - Bottom of 8th SCORE

BRAD BRACH PITCHING FOR BALTIMORE BAL CLE

Kipnis singled to center. 5 4

Lindor doubled to deep right, Kipnis to third. 5 4

O'Day relieved Brach. 5 4

Napoli grounded out to third. 5 4

Ram?rez intentionally walked. 5 4

Chisenhall hit for Uribe. 5 4

Chisenhall struck out looking. 5 4

Gomes struck out swinging. 5 4

Three outs. No runs scored by the Indians. O'Day has ice water in his veins. Its exciting and a pleasure to watch Darren pitch. Out ---- Standing.

Archived