Nestor & Flanny speak on rally

ex-man O

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here is my original post.

I agree. And I disagree with those you say it's bad timing. Who cares? It's a protest to say they are and have been unhappy with ownership. Is there anyone on this entire site who has not been unhappy with ownership? Some people seem more concerned about the people involved with the protest taking and receiving undue credit for things that would probably take place anyway. Again, who cares? The bottom line, is that it's sending a simple message that the fans are fed up. It will make for good TV if there are anything close to 10,000 people involved.

See, at least in this post, it says some people. I feel like, at least in this case, you have mischaracterized my post.

Okay, and you make a fair point. I tend to agree that some people are name dropping just to smear Nestor some more. However, it's hard to paint that brush since it's very easy for everybody to reference him, it's his party, you know?

Nope...The organization has no accountability.

We know they read this board...They read the newspapers. They can see the attendance dropping.

The protest does nothing IMO, even though it should.

Any suggestion as to how this could be changed or are we doomed to suffer in your opinion?

So far, Tejada, Roberts, Mora and Gibbons have been listed on the side of saying we need better players. Do you think Gibbons realizes that about half of the OH now regards him as among those who need replacing? For Mora, it seems 1/4 want him gone and 1/4 want him in a different position.

People are misquoted all of the time. That fact does not prove that Burke never said it.

Do you think its more likely Burke was misquoted or that the quote was fabricated and then falsely attributed to him on purpose?

In either case, does it really matter?

Heh, it really doesn't. Though we've been having a really good discussion about it either way. :) To answer your question though, I think somewhere there is a quote by Burke that comes very close to what he's attributed as saying, however, people much more dedicated than I can't seem to find said quote. So I have some doubts.

Nope...The organization has no accountability.

We know they read this board...They read the newspapers. They can see the attendance dropping.

The protest does nothing IMO, even though it should.

My thoughts exactly. If other, just as obvious, indicators aren't making a dent, this won't either. And it has possible long term negative effects on how the fan base itself is perceived.

Any suggestion as to how this could be changed or are we doomed to suffer in your opinion?

Much like the Irsays, I think the Baltimore Orioles are doomed to failure until Mr. Angelos passes and his son takes control of the team. Hopefully that apple fell far from the tree, rolled down a hill, hit a rock and went airbore and landed in a truck on a cross-country trip.

You know, there's a very strong argument that suggests this quote is bogus, that Burke never said it. Scholars have traced it as best they can, and they can't seem to find any documentation that supports Burke ever saying, or writing, this quote. Just an FYI.

On topic, I doubt you'd see Cubs fans doing something like this.

Maybe they should?

Almost to a person, everyone who has something negative to say about the protest, brings up Nestor's name. I've never listened to the guy and don't care about him one way or the other. I can look at this protest in a pretty objective way from that angle, I think. I will guarantee to almost a person, that if Tony Pente had said that he was fed up with Angelos's ownership and said he was hoping for full support from the Hangout in this kind of protest, that there would be near unanimous support of it. Enthusiastic support. JMO

This is what I'm questioning, the bolded part of this post. In it, you seemingly are painting the nay sayers with a wide brush. "Almost to a person" implies a very high percentage, wouldn't you say? If that wasn't your intention, fair enough, but it's how I read it.

So I've been counter arguing that particular quote. Lots of people have brought up his name. On all sides of the argument. That's pretty much my whole point. You bring up that the naysayers have done it, I'm countering that yes, they may have, but since this IS Nestors protest, most people have brought his name in to it, it's inherent.

I'd love to hear this. Really.

Dude, I've already said it. Twice, I think. But I'll say it again. Completely conjencturely, of course, but we haven't got the greatest rep to begin with. We're trying to lure more players here, and are going to have to overspend to begin with. I personally feel that players may tend to balk more, knowing that the fans will consciously organize a walkout during a game.

The area i used to work in have alot of good people in it(BTerp can attest to this as well).

My bosses were good, coworkers were friendly and we had a good time.

However, we were all held back by the incompetency of the people above us. No need for me to name specific people but you all can look in a media guide and see who the top dogs were and those guys are all awful.

And part of the reason they are awful is because of Angelos and how he gives them no direction. I am sure, as individuals, these are extremely intelligent men who could work in many industries and do very well for themselves.

But most of them have their jobs because they have a relationship with. Angelos..Whether it is a family member or a friend, that is what is the issue.

So, they aren't neccassarily baseball people and they aren't guys who are really connected with the fan base.

Alot of them are older and don't have any kind of relationship with the younger fans.

And then, on top of that, they have no knowledge of baseball. It is a big cluster **** really and to me, the only way out of it, is PA selling the team.

Now, maybe Angelos does a complete 180 and starts to spend and butts our more and more. Who knows...I hope so.

I used to like PA, i would like to like the man again.

My thoughts exactly. If other, just as obvious, indicators aren't making a dent, this won't either. And it has possible long term negative effects on how the fan base itself is perceived.

Let the chips fall where they may, if nobody comes to play here because of those perceptions and we are surpassed by the Devil-Rays soon in front of a few thousand regulars at home, great.. one step closer to the real solution.

Is someone claiming that fans "shouldn't be allowed" to protest?

I thought the criticism was simply of the timing and efficacy of the protest.

Frankly, I find it all a big yawn. And an event likely to bring about a serious case of Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc...

...Nestor and his fans will - as Mackus has stated, I think - simply claim that their rabble-rousing brought serious changes when/if the O's spend this off-season.

I'm not an Angelos fan - but I also don't demonize him. I just want a better-run team.

Archived