Nestor & Flanny speak on rally

ex-man O

Let the chips fall where they may, if nobody comes to play here because of those perceptions and we are surpassed by the Devil-Rays soon in front of a few thousand regulars at home, great.. one step closer to the real solution.

Making my beloved team completely unwatchable doesn't thrill me. Plus, I firmly believe that the only steps the team can make to become closer to solving the problem are health problems to the owner. He either doesn't care, or is in his own little protected bubble where he doesn't perceive. He's steering the Titanic straight in to the iceberg, either out of ignorance or arrogance.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, I meant a high percentage. But I didn't mean they just mention his name. Of course, the protest is his and it's difficult to not mention his name. I notice many people, who are against the protest, seem to have something negative to say about Nestor in conjunction with their opinion against it. Therefore, it's my opinion that many people are against it because he organized it. I think many of the same people who say they are against it, would have a totally different take on it if someone more sympathetic to this board had organized it.

Very well could be true. I know I'm not one, though. I may not quite be as vocal about opposing it, but I wouldn't jump right on board.

Are we cool, man?

Edit: This was my all 5's post....happy 5,555 to me. w00t.

It'll take more than a couple of minutes to get a few thousand people through the tunnel. Plus - they'll just tape it and replay it once they're live - just like an instant replay.

I understand that, just saying that there are times that this may seem odd to leave. Someone posted that what if it's in the middle of a 3 run HR by an O and everyone is clapping and going nuts. Ok everyone get up and start leaving! Just seems odd to do. Will that happen? Most likely not. I'm sure it will go off without a hitch when nothing is happening but still, there is that chance.

Also the game isn't being broadcast on TV (or at least I can't find the station that it's on) so who is going to see this demonstration? I don't think PA is going to be anxiously watching through his office window and be like "Oh my gosh, what is this going on here". Without the TV coverage then I don't think it really will gain a lot of steam. Will it be mentioned on ESPN or anything without TV coverage?

I know the Cubs talk in this thread is, like, *so* last hour, but anyway, thought you guys might find this interesting.

Cub fans held a protest in front of Wrigley in May of this year, on a Saturday when FOX was in town to televise the game nationally.

It pretty much flopped, and of course nothing has, or will, change because of it.

I don’t think many of the people are against a protest.

I for one am against a protest that involves the team. By sitting in the stands watching an hour of the game and then leaving they are giving the view whether intended or not that they are walking on the team.

it has been addressed over WNST and through the media that it is all about Peter ANgelos -- not the team. If anything, like others have mentioned, I don't see how the players would be upset that this is happening. They want to win as bad as the fans and they know that the O's have not done what's been needed to win.

Making my beloved team completely unwatchable doesn't thrill me. Plus, I firmly believe that the only steps the team can make to become closer to solving the problem are health problems to the owner. He either doesn't care, or is in his own little protected bubble where he doesn't perceive. He's steering the Titanic straight in to the iceberg, either out of ignorance or arrogance.

Well then, I presume you prefer to have your hopes raised every spring training, only to be dashed by mid June. No offense, but if PA doesn't make a real commitment to field a winning team this offseason, your team will likely be slightly above completely unwatchable for years.... I hope that's good enough. I for one, am not in the group that would be happy to see us reach .500. I was in that group 4-5 years ago... Now I want to contend for a playoff spot into September. Anything short of that, is more of the same to me. I'm not interested in waiting 3-5 more years to see something great happen... and to me, we are 3-4 players away from being there... if that can't be taken care of, we're all wasting our time hoping for better days..

I know the Cubs talk in this thread is, like, *so* last hour, but anyway, thought you guys might find this interesting.

Cub fans held a protest in front of Wrigley in May of this year, on a Saturday when FOX was in town to televise the game nationally.

It pretty much flopped, and of course nothing has, or will, change because of it.

Notable points...nothing happened, and it was held outside. Not a walkout.

Thanks for the perspective, d.

Is someone claiming that fans "shouldn't be allowed" to protest?

I thought the criticism was simply of the timing and efficacy of the protest.

Frankly, I find it all a big yawn. And an event likely to bring about a serious case of Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc...

...Nestor and his fans will - as Mackus has stated, I think - simply claim that their rabble-rousing brought serious changes when/if the O's spend this off-season.

I'm not an Angelos fan - but I also don't demonize him. I just want a better-run team.

But don't we agree that this protest can only bring something positive? Or would could something negative be?

Well then, I presume you prefer to have your hopes raised every spring training, only to be dashed by mid June. No offense, but if PA doesn't make a real commitment to field a winning team this offseason, your team will likely be slightly above completely unwatchable for years.... I hope that's good enough. I for one, am not in the group that would be happy to see us reach .500. I was in that group 4-5 years ago... Now I want to contend for a playoff spot into September. Anything short of that, is more of the same to me. I'm not interested in waiting 3-5 more years to see something great happen... and to me, we are 3-4 players away from being there... if that can't be taken care of, we're all wasting our time hoping for better days..

I've never gotten my hopes raised that much. With the exception of last years start, anyway. But that's different, that was product on the field messing with me.

My only problem with it is that it's a collossal waste of time. We've experienced first hand the immense ego and hubris of Peter Angelos, and this will not make a dent. Now that it's possibly going to screw with how the team feels about their fan base, their support, well, I don't like the prospect of this. Especially when we want players to come here next year. FA's might balk even MORE now.

It may be a waste of time... but not for those going to the game in protest. For them it is their way of voicing their displeasure. That is the mission, not getting Angelos to sell. I don't think anyone going to the protest thinks that they will make Angelos sell the team.

Heh, it really doesn't. Though we've been having a really good discussion about it either way. :) To answer your question though, I think somewhere there is a quote by Burke that comes very close to what he's attributed as saying, however, people much more dedicated than I can't seem to find said quote. So I have some doubts.

The funny thing is, I purposely left "Jefferson" off of the "dissention is the highest form of patriotism" quote becuase I knew someone would ignore the quote in order to dispute its author. :P

However, I had no idea that someone would dispute Burke as the author of "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" quote. :eek:

Its been emotional though ;)

Archived