Edwin Jackson Tweet (O's related)

Lance

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, remember folks that Boras played this same move in the Fielder negotiations. Right up to the day he signed with the Tigers, we kept hearing about how he might take a one-year offer. Those rumors were floated around quite a bit and then, boom, 9 years, $214 million. IMO, Boras is doing the same thing with another client. It's possible at this point that the Orioles could be bidding against themselves, which Boras is very good at getting teams to do. OTOH, Ryan Madson really did take a one year deal, but in that instance I'm not sure there was anyone offering multiple years. It's clear from reports that at minimum the Orioles have offered a three year deal with a fourth year option. Even if that deal is as low as 3/18 or 3/24, that's not necessarily a lowball offer if the only other one he has on the table is Boston at 1/5. I'd go as high as 4/48 for Jackson but if no one else is in on him, I'd rather not throw extra money away when it might not be necessary, especially since Jackson is not the last piece we need to compete for a playoff spot. At this point my heart says give Jackson whatever he wants, while my head says hold firm and see what happens.

Cant believe some people here think the O's have to remove Roberts or Markakis salary before Jackson could sign here. As if the O's are Montreal or something. No wonder Angelos gets away with fielding a horrible team.

How does he get away with it? The only people he is fewing is maybe a few people on here. The media and the general public know what is going on. Have you been to game when the Yankees or the Red Sox aren't in town lately?

I'd see if he's willing to sign for 4/36 - 4/40. I'd love Edwin Jackson as a stable #3 for the next 4 years. He's gotten it done in both leagues, has solid numbers, and has virtually no injury history.

If the interest is so low elsewhere, why not take a shot?

Also, remember folks that Boras played this same move in the Fielder negotiations. Right up to the day he signed with the Tigers, we kept hearing about how he might take a one-year offer. Those rumors were floated around quite a bit and then, boom, 9 years, $214 million. IMO, Boras is doing the same thing with another client. It's possible at this point that the Orioles could be bidding against themselves, which Boras is very good at getting teams to do. OTOH, Ryan Madson really did take a one year deal, but in that instance I'm not sure there was anyone offering multiple years. It's clear from reports that at minimum the Orioles have offered a three year deal with a fourth year option. Even if that deal is as low as 3/18 or 3/24, that's not necessarily a lowball offer if the only other one he has on the table is Boston at 1/5. I'd go as high as 4/48 for Jackson but if no one else is in on him, I'd rather not throw extra money away when it might not be necessary, especially since Jackson is not the last piece we need to compete for a playoff spot. At this point my heart says give Jackson whatever he wants, while my head says hold firm and see what happens.
Madson made the same mistake Jackson is making. He could have had good Multi year deals from a number of teams including Boston, but he held out for more and ended having to take a one year deal. If Jackson wants a one year deal he's going to havr to take a bargain price deal from CLE, KAN, or a NL team. He doesn't stand to put up the great numbers he needs for next year FA, in the AL East or the AL West. And MIN. DET, CWS, doesn't need him

The Orioles would consider a four-year deal for Jackson, though they seem more comfortable with a three-year deal that includes a fourth option year, Connolly writes. If Jackson seeks a one-year deal, Baltimore would seem to be an unlikely destination given its hitter-friendly park, remote chances of contending and division.

We've offered 3 ....Now add the 4th and get it done!

Doesnt sound like anyone else is offering 4 ...So Id say its the penalty year.

I'd do 3/27 w/ a 4th year player option. Or 4/40 straight up. I'm thinking that $10 mil for him is STILL a bit high....salaries are freakin' ridiculous! 10 mil a year for a less than Guthrie pitcher...unreal.

Come on Boras. Get the deal done with somebody. You're not shopping a 15-20 game winner here. You are holding up trades for other pitchers by teams that need another starter. Spring Training starts in two weeks.

Did anybody expect Oswalt and Jackson to still be unsigned on February 1, 2012? Could the Orioles at the last minute offer Oswalt a $10 million or $11 million dollar deal for 1 year with an option? vs. giving Jackson a 3-4 year deal? We have a stockpile of pitchers we are not sure about that might need one year at Norfolk before being ready to go in 2013. Peterson and Brady will perform magic with the roster and we will surprise a lot of people. Maybe there is more talent in our system than people think and they will draw it out of the players.

I still think Duquette is going to pull off a couple of last minute deals and make a few free agent signings that will save PA millions. I believe there are about 50 free agents still on the market and many are going to have to reduce their demands. Prediction: Duquette will be the AL GM of the year in 2012. His overall revitalization program will get a 4 star rating with major improvement to our minor league teams, the draft (can't wait for his 1st Oriole draft) and improvements to the team along with the new coaches.

Archived