Guthrie traded to Rockies for Hammel & Lindstrom

Bazooka Jones

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the O's could trade Gregg for Koji, they would've done it long ago. I don't see how this trade has any affect on a possible Koji deal.

If we traded Guthrie to save 2m so that we could add more money to a trade with Texas for Koji, then we are in even more trouble that I thought (is that possible?).

You are looking at this wrong. This has nothing to do with whether it hurts the Orioles at all.

The question is, how does it help us? We only save 1-2 million..so there is no real salary gain.

We obtain a reliever that isn't any better than any of the back end up guys we already have and he is making a lot of money.

We obtain a starter who has been pretty good in the past but is 29, only has 1 more year of service time than JG and is coming to a tougher division but one that he does know some from his time in TB.

If Hammel is what he was in 2009 and 2010 for the next 2 years, the Orioles have "won" this deal. If he has a big first half, its likely that his trade value would be higher than Guthrie's because of salary and service time.

But at the end of the day, the likely outcome is that he ends up being basically what Guthrie has been for us and he does it for one more year at a salary close to what Guthrie would earn for year as opposed to 2. But how does that advance the team? What difference does he make going forward for us? Even if he is a 4 WAR pitcher in each of the next 2 seasons, he isn't likely to extend here and you really shouldn't be all that excited giving a 3-4 year deal to a 30 y/o pitcher either. So, at best we may end up trading him or get back a pick or 2...both options that could have been there for Guthrie this season and with Guthrie, you basically know what you are going to get from him.

Its just a trade that makes little sense. While there is some upside to the trade, its basically a trade that does nothing for the team. It doesn't save you much money, you didn't clear a spot in the rotation for a young pitcher and you didn't obtain anyone who has potential long term value.

So, why did you do it?

You forget the main reason for this trade... Angelos gets to continue his streak of never losing an Arbitration case.

My best effort to look on the bright side... Hammel is 3 years younger than Guthrie and is under team control for two seasons. And, Lindstrom is a proven reliever who can compete for the closer job and push JJ. He is also controlled for two seasons. All of that, plus we saved a few bucks. (Seriously, a few... Guthrie agreed to a "friendly" deal with Colorado, so I'm guessing around $8.5 or so.)

My best effort to look on the bright side... Hammel is 3 years younger than Guthrie and is under team control for two seasons. And, Lindstrom is a proven reliever who can compete for the closer job and push JJ. He is also controlled for two seasons. All of that, plus we saved a few bucks. (Seriously, a few... Guthrie agreed to a "friendly" deal with Colorado, so I'm guessing around $8.5 or so.)

Good try, but it doesn't matter how long someone is under team control if they aren't any good.

Bright side = plenty of goods seats available, at OPACY, in all price ranges.

Archived