Orioles scouts are now banned from Korean baseball stadiums

baseballwaco123

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And I repeat. The entire international process is stupid and unfair. Maybe this story shines more light on the process. That a kid from Korea, maybe a prospect, maybe not, can sign a 550k deal with the team of his choosing and a kid from the US, has to wait to be drafted by whatever team has that pick and then sign for whatever is offered or sit a year...is well...unamerican. That this situation continues to exist is pure insanity.

Yes, I agree. The draft is completely un-American. Get rid of it yesterday. All people should have a right to choose who they work for.

Well I think the fuss is giving 550,000 dollars to a minor to sign. Would you be happy if korea was taking our soccer players out of high school and giving them 550,000 dollars to play in korea? And if the players weren't even good I would be worried some penn st stuff was going on.

Baseball should make the minimum age 18.

Maybe not with Korea, but American soccer players sign lucrative contracts with teams from Europe and elsewhere frequently without every playing professionally in the States. If a star from Maryland or Virginia left school at 19 to sign with a foreign team it wouldn't be controversial in the least, nor would it be if the kid was fresh out of high school. The only rule I know of is FIFA has a restriction on international transfers for players under 18, but that didn't even take effect until '03.

It's automatically renewed unless modified 180 days prior to its one year anniversary.

That is incorrect.

this Agreement shall continue from year-to-year until either the Korean Commissioner or the U.S. Commissioner gives notice of his intention to modify or

terminate this Agreement on or before one hundred and eighty(180) days prior to any anniversary of the Initial Termination Date.

Have either side modified or terminated the agreement since 2003?

Sure, get rid of the draft.:rolleyes: Then decide which of the 6 remaining teams you want to root for. Draft, no draft, take your pick. But there is no way that international players should be free agents from day one, when US kids have to wait 5,6,7 years.

I think the apocalyptic predictions of a draft-less world are more than a little overblown. Baseball existed quite nicely for over 100 years without a draft. Yes, the Yanks were dynastic, but not much moreso than they are today. You'd still have expanded playoffs and wildcards and play-ins and divisions and luxury taxes that distribute the odds of winning pretty well, none of which existed in pre-draft MLB. Brooks Robinson and Boog Powell and Jim Palmer signed with the O's when there was no draft, when they could have signed with the Yanks. Chapman signed with the Reds under the current system. I guess Cespedes signed with the Marlins. Are the Reds and the Marlins among your six teams that'll be worth rooting for?

Tony's right. If this kid shows up looking like Arundel High School's #2 pitcher, this will be a major embarrassment for DD. If not, I'll laugh at Keith Law as much as possible. However, a mis-step in Korea is one thing, letting it get to the point where your scouts are banned is another thing. How are we handling this behind the scenes? Shouldn't we have a certain amount of deference toward the Koreans, since it's their league and all?

ccbird said it best...DD scares me too, and I've been one of his defenders.

I don't know about that Arundel has a pretty strong program. Or, at least they did when Bernie was there.:D

I think the apocalyptic predictions of a draft-less world are more than a little overblown. Baseball existed quite nicely for over 100 years without a draft. Yes, the Yanks were dynastic, but not much moreso than they are today. You'd still have expanded playoffs and wildcards and play-ins and divisions and luxury taxes that distribute the odds of winning pretty well, none of which existed in pre-draft MLB. Brooks Robinson and Boog Powell and Jim Palmer signed with the O's when there was no draft, when they could have signed with the Yanks. Chapman signed with the Reds under the current system. I guess Cespedes signed with the Marlins. Are the Reds and the Marlins among your six teams that'll be worth rooting for?

I think you might want to check the record book before you make that statement.

I don't have any idea if this in an overreaction or not by the KBO. As serious as they are taking this, it wouldn't surprise me that they've made it clear to MLB that they don't want teams scouting high school kids. Maybe they want to take a hard line so that this sort of thing doesn't happen with other MLB teams.

The Orioles should see if they can void the contract and move on. I'm sure Bel Air HS has a short kid who throws in the 80s too.

Here's a link to MyKBO.net. You can read through it but apparently the Orioles didn't follow protocol and have MLB do a "status sheck" on the kid. KBO has also suspended the kid from playing in Korea. Sounds like the Orioles went about it the wong way.

Freudian slip?

Not going to lie, I laughed a little.

Archived