Matt Angle DFAed

ChaosLex

Matt Angle: Age 26. Major League WAR 0.2 (96 ABs, oWAR 0.4; dWAR -0.2)

Jai Miller: Age 27. Major League WAR -0.1 (422 ABs, oWar -0.1; dWar 0.0)

Minor League numbers: Jai Miller: .244/.328/.425 slash over 3276 ABs

72.3% steal (120/46)

CF Fld%: .978 (MiL)

Matt Angle: .285/.372/.351 slash over 2054 ABs

82.4% steal (169/36)

CF Fld%: .993 (MiL)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=miller001ran

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=angle-001mat

Jai Miller pops 32 HRs in the PCL with a 179/54 K/BB ratio (in AAA) and you're all set to say he's better than Angle?

I guess you can make an argument that Angle might contribute more as a reserve, but Miller has more upside than Matt Angle. You take Miller in our situation. Pretty easy choice between the two imo.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why? Matt Angle is a bench option; a pinch runner or good for a bunt. Don't be ridiculous.

We've spent 5 years developing this guy. We bring him up for a cup of coffee last year and after 79 at bats everybody and their mother seems to have pigeon holed him into being a career pinch runner....at best. People on this site could use a little humility when it comes to speaking with absolute certainty about a players future worth, when they are solely talking from their opinion. This board would have said the same things about Brian Roberts before he turned 25. Angle is a scrappy, hard working, overachieving, hustling player with solid defense and great efficiency at stealing bases. He's undersized and underpowered. We can opine on what we think he will be, but absolutely nobody here knows for sure. What I do know is that Endy Chavez and Luis Ayala are 34 year old role players. For a team that needs to add young talent at all levels, you don't cast aside Matt Angle and Greg Miclats when you're trying to make space for Taylor Teagarden and Luis Ayala.

These aren't massive errors, but lots of small ones add up. Hell.....we wouldn't be as interested in Ayala if we hadn't pissed away Beato last winter. My point is that for an organization that has been outputting very few useful parts other than recent 1st round draft picks, we seem to be very quick to give away the few ones that could actually develop into something useful. If he doesn't get picked up on waivers I'll be fine with the move, but clearly I expect that he will. Either way, I don't like us taking that chance.

Angle is a scrappy, hard working, overachieving, hustling player with solid defense and great efficiency at stealing bases. He's undersized and underpowered. We can opine on what we think he will be, but absolutely nobody here knows for sure.

Oh, we can be pretty sure. Angle-type players who've been successful in the majors were usually there years before Angle and with far higher rates of success in the minors. Angle has 1000 AAA PAs with a mid-.600s OPS. He's 26. Odds are very good that he's a zero offensively, with plus baserunning and defense. He's a nice guy to stash away on your AAA roster as a 7th outfielder, but not someone worth keeping over anyone with decent upside.

Like I said before, he'd have been a lot more useful when benches weren't so short. Teams used to keep Matt Angles, now they keep Clay Rapadas.

Oh, we can be pretty sure. Angle-type players who've been successful in the majors were usually there years before Angle and with far higher rates of success in the minors. Angle has 1000 AAA PAs with a mid-.600s OPS. He's 26. Odds are very good that he's a zero offensively, with plus baserunning and defense. He's a nice guy to stash away on your AAA roster as a 7th outfielder, but not someone worth keeping over anyone with decent upside.

Like I said before, he'd have been a lot more useful when benches weren't so short. Teams used to keep Matt Angles, now they keep Clay Rapadas.

Or to put it another way...Angle might be a 4th OF candidate on a terrible team, but on a real MLB team, he is AAA injury insurance AT BEST.

Players with Matt Angles profile almost never stick in the majors. You can cite a couple recent examples like Juan Pierre or Denard Span... and yes, if Hudson got picked up by the Rangers then certainly Angle will have value to another team. But you're making mountains out of a molehill. The new regime doesn't think he possessed the tools to benefit the Orioles going forward and I agree. I'd rather have Chavez who has the MLB experience AND speed to come off the bench.

I enjoyed watching Angle. I rooted for him to succeed. It's over now and it's not really that surprising why, so it's odd that people are upset about it.

I guess you can make an argument that Angle might contribute more as a reserve, but Miller has more upside than Matt Angle. You take Miller in our situation. Pretty easy choice between the two imo.

I disagree Angle seemed to have good range. Speed on the bases and high OBP in the minors. I still don't get the Miller signing.

I disagree Angle seemed to have good range. Speed on the bases and high OBP in the minors. I still don't get the Miller signing.

Angle is not an MLB player. Regardless of what you saw him do in the minors, he's just not good enough to do it in MLB. He's got a similar profile to like Pierre or Span as mentioned before, but he's also got much less talent, and you better be the best of the best if you are going to have such a limited profile. This move is nothing to get upset about.

Angle was the new Brandon Fahey.

Yes, they're exactly the same if you ignore Angle's 80-point advantage in minor league OPS and far superior baserunning skills. Glad to see you're still setting a line somewhere between "major league regular" and "all star" and calling anyone below that trash.

Glad to see our roster is talented enough to not have to worry about him as being depth.

Miller is a much more valuable player.

Miller probably has a little higher ceiling if he can figure out how to both hit 30 homers a year and not strike out in 40% of his PAs. If Miller can't do a better job controlling the strike zone, and/or is Angle's match with the glove and on the bases, he's pretty well useless.

Jai Miller stinks. Sad that some of us see it and the O's organization doesn't. It won't take long for them to realize.

Matt Angle will be around for a while and will certainly help an organization. I hope it is us as it doesn't seem too late to keep him.

I'm not impressed with DD at all.

Archived