I can't remember a year when there was less buzz about the start of spring training

Frobby

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm as critical as the next poster on how the organization is run, but as a baseball fan, I'm starting to excited that baseball will be back soon.

And it's not just about the *ifs* (If Markakis can rediscover his power stroke, If Matusz velocity returns...)

I'm excited to see Adam Jones run a ball down in the gap.

I'm excited to see Matt Wieters throw a laser to 2nd base.

I'm excited to hear reports of Bundy popping the catcher's mitt and how he may be ready for the show next year.

I'm excited to see Reynolds launch a light tower home run.

Every thread does not need to come back to how the O's are run as an organization. I get what Frobby is saying - aren't we supposed to be looking forward to baseball again?

Oh, I am not telling anyone how they are "supposed to" feel. I'm merely observing that there's less buzz than usual, for reasons I understand. But I, for one, have had enough "hot stove" talk and am ready to hear some reports about things happening on a baseball field somewhere, even if it's mostly pablum in the early part of spring training.

Call me a fool, but I'm a baseball fan because I like to.....watch baseball. I'd rather talk about how Kevin Gregg just blew another 9th inning lead than talk about how the O's once again failed to make a serious bid for Player X. That's just how I'm wired. Even when the team stinks I can find interesting things to watch during a game, and interesting story lines during a season. Interesting to me, anyway.

The Orioles have just about made having a rooting interest in a ballgame a big negative. I find it difficult to watch a whole game anymore, especially when the team is horribly overmatched and they're going up against teams that are just so much better in every regard. I get angry just watching the mess. I love watching baseball, but sometimes it's hard to watch the Orioles. I'd almost rather be at a Blue Crabs game where I don't feel like I have any emotion invested in it, and that it's inevitable I'm going to be disappointed. And I find it hard to watch other MLB games, because I always fall back on comparing them to the failings of the Orioles.

That's one reason soccer has filled in a good bit of what used to be filled by the Orioles. I can watch a random German or English or even MLS match and just enjoy the game. I'm never all wrapped up in 20 years of bitter futility. It's actually fun.

I think a lot hinges on Chen and Wada. If we find out in ST that these guys can't pitch at the MLB-level (which, BTW, would not surprise me a bit), Lord help us. Hammel, Eveland, Matusz, oh my.

If you think about it, without Chen and Wada you still have everyone from last year except Guthrie, who was 10-17, plus a couple of extra guys. So while Chen and Wada are important, it still comes down to whether some of our own younger pitchers improve upon their 2011 performance.

I think our lineup is actually fine, needs to be better to actually compete but certainly not something to be ashamed of. Sadly though, 15 crap starting pitchers doesn't equal 5 good ones. Unless the younger guys improve or the guys we picked up do better than thier history shows it will be another long long year for our rotation and bullpen. I have my hopes though. Arrieta and Britton I think will be watchable. The other 3 guys that trot out there who knows.

I am hoping for the best but expecting the worse. (that should be the new Orioles Motto)

It is understandable why there is no buzz. The buzzworthy things they have done have generally been panned (or insulted nations)

I will say this, there is a ton of uncertainty on this team. To me, that is going to keep me interested for awhile. I am actually kinda excited to see what happens as I really have no idea what to expect. The team has taken a different approach then during the AM years and it will be interesting to see how this year pans out.

I'm looking forward to spring training and seeing how the current batch of players do. The pitchers, Antonelli, Teagarden, Miller, and Reimold all interest me. I also hope the team gets Angle back.

Also, I don't think they will be overmatched when the season starts. There are no expectations and I expect them to be better than most think. However, if they do not get off to a good start, I'll probably spend my money in Bowie.

I am hoping for the best but expecting the worse. (that should be the new Orioles Motto)

It is understandable why there is no buzz. The buzzworthy things they have done have generally been panned (or insulted nations)

I will say this, there is a ton of uncertainty on this team. To me, that is going to keep me interested for awhile. I am actually kinda excited to see what happens as I really have no idea what to expect. The team has taken a different approach then during the AM years and it will be interesting to see how this year pans out.

I am interested. We'll see how long it lasts. Last year it was about mid-June when things cratered.

In all honesty, because of all of the uncertainty, I actually think this will be one of the more intriguing spring trainings in a while. Do we have anything in Chen and Wada? Did DD's scouts actually see something in Eveland, or was that trade just a waste? Does Kim really only throw 83 MPH? And of course, how do Matusz and Arrieta look?

Lots of things to be interested about, especially regarding the pitching staff.

But I agree with SG in that the first few weeks are pretty boring anyway.

Perhaps we'll finally get things turned around. Usually the HO as a group is pretty excited about ST and the opening of the season... we start hot and everyone is going overboard with excitement only too see the air exit the balloon to yet another disappointing season.

This year most on here think we suck, have little expectation, and if things do go well to start the season, they'll not be convinced it means anything.

Maybe.. finally.. it'll happen.

Frobby, you have been on this site for a long time.

Essentially, there has never been a change in topic over the last 10 years. Yea, we have had a change in players' names, expectation levels, etc...But essentially, every year has just been a re-hash of the previous year.

The only difference is that some have decided to open their eyes more over the years and there isn't as much debate over how good or bad the team is.

This is very true, especially the last line. More and more fans over the years have grown tired of the Orioles antics, and I think what has us so pessimistic now is that we have all finally reached the end of our ropes. Yes, we'll be excited for baseball again when it starts, but there is no more defending ANYTHING about this organization until they prove to us that things have changed.

Archived