Most overrated Oriole (by OH posters)?

Frobby

I'm curious who people think is most overrated by the other posters on this site.

My vote is for Jake Arrieta. It's not that I don't like him, but many people seem to think it's a no-brainer that he's either the best or the second-best of our younger starters, behind Britton. I don't think that is obvious at all. He might end up there, or he might be behind Britton, Matusz and Hunter, IMO. It's all to be determined.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Adam Jones. Defense doesn't match the hype, poor on-base skills that at times negate any power potential, and the whole package just doesn't match the hype. A lot of people over the years have said he's better than Markakis, and I've never bought into it. Talent wise, yes, but even at his worst, Nick just does little things so much better than Adam that to me make him more valuable. Plus, some people are starting the "pay the man" stuff with Jones again, and he simply is not the kind of guy I hand a big extension over. Nice guy, nice player, but just not the cornerstone that everyone seems to think he is.

This is a tough question. I am going with Nick. I believe a lot of the heat Nick takes on here is because of people overrating him. Posters slam him because there is this notion (not necessarily unfairly) that the real Nick is the 2008 version. I think Nick is what he has been over the past couple of years, a pretty good slightly above average player who plays hard and would be a great complimentary piece on a good team.

Surprised to hear Frobby say Arrieta, seemed last year you were more of a defender of his?

I'd say that Jones is the current most overrated, and Guthrie was the previous most overrated. I actually think Jones' only really enticing attribute is his power. He has poor plate discipline, average-to-slightly-below average defense (including arm), and middling speed for a CF. Frankly, I'd rather have a CF with the latter skills rather than power.

I'm curious who people think is most overrated by the other posters on this site.

My vote is for Jake Arrieta. It's not that I don't like him, but many people seem to think it's a no-brainer that he's either the best or the second-best of our younger starters, behind Britton. I don't think that is obvious at all. He might end up there, or he might be behind Britton, Matusz and Hunter, IMO. It's all to be determined.

As far as current Orioles go, Arrieta was the first person who popped into my mind. It seems almost everyone has him locked into a rotation spot. IMO, he shouldn't and won't have the inside track on a rotation spot. I think he'll be battling with a 3 or 4 other guys for a couple of rotation spots.

Nolan Reimold: I have heard a ton about Reimold being moved as a huge mistake, but the guy has been a flash in the pan considering.

The answer could easily be Brian Matusz and Jake Arrieta and a few other guys. Luke Scott was a guy that I would have said had he been an Oriole at this point. The Orioles might have led the majors in homeruns in 2011 had Scott been our DH. We also would have saved $7M+ on Guerrero. I look at our offense last season and wonder how good that offense could have been had Roberts and Scott been healthy.

Archived