Around the League

backwardsk

With pitchers and catchers reporting this weekend, what are your thoughts on who the favorites are this year? What moves did you like the most?

As far as playoff teams (with one wildcard), I see:

LAA, Tex, Det, and Boston in the AL

Philly, Cincy, San Fran, and Washington in the NL.

I'm probably overrated Washington some, but I love the Gonzalez and Jackson moves to compliment Zimmermann and Strasburg. Their pitching 1-12 is extremely deep.

I like their staff along with Philly's, LAA's and Atlanta's. The NL East will be quite strong.

I'm not sure the NL wild card comes out of the East. Those four teams are all better, but they still have to play a third of their seasons against the other three. Both eastern divisions will be amazing this year. Now, if they go to five playoff teams (still no announcement...) I could see it.

My guess, right off-hand, is Atlanta, Cincinnati, Arizona, St. Louis (and Philadelphia) in the NL, and Tampa Bay, Detroit, Los Angeles, Texas (and Boston) in the AL. Votto for NL MVP, Latos for NL Cy Young. Pujols for AL MVP, Weaver for AL Cy Young.

Theoretical second wild-cards in parentheses.

It seems a little ridiculous that players have reported to camp and MLB still hasn't decided whether it will have a second wild card this season. The season's not far off-- make a decision already.

Assuming it's just one wild card, I'd go with Yankees, Tigers, Rangers, Angels in the AL. Phillies, Reds, Diamondbacks, Cardinals in the NL.

Archived