Miggy offers to talk to Soriano....

bigbird

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good to see, but he talked to Vlad as well if I remember correctly.....

Hope he talks better to Soriano this time :002_ssmile:

You are correct.

I'll never forget Miggy's "welcome to Baltimore" interview on WBAL radio from the Orioles Bar at the Sheraton. Jim Hunter's first few questions to Miggy were about recruiting Guerrero. At one point, Hunter slipped up and called him Vladimir.

Miggy also offered to recruit Guerrero because they were friends in the D.R. and also shared the same agent. The rest is history.

You are correct.

I'll never forget Miggy's "welcome to Baltimore" interview on WBAL radio from the Orioles Bar at the Sheraton. Jim Hunter's first few questions to Miggy were about recruiting Guerrero. At one point, Hunter slipped up and called him Vladimir.

Miggy also offered to recruit Guerrero because they were friends in the D.R. and also shared the same agent. The rest is history.

Oh man, I remember that. I don't dislike Hunter as much as some, but man was that a goof. As for Soriano, if Miggy can convince him to come here, then good. Somehow, I doubt it though.

The Soriano and Guerrero situations are not comparable. Vlad is an intorvert who has never bothered to learn English, and it was pretty clear he just didn't want to play any place where there wasn't a large Spanish-speaking population. Soriano is an extorverted guy who played in Japan before he ever played in the mjors. He's not likely to rule out Baltimore for cultural reasons.

The Soriano and Guerrero situations are not comparable. Vlad is an intorvert who has never bothered to learn English, and it was pretty clear he just didn't want to play any place where there wasn't a large Spanish-speaking population. Soriano is an extorverted guy who played in Japan before he ever played in the mjors. He's not likely to rule out Baltimore for cultural reasons.

They are in that we will have to blow away any offer to get Soriano here, something we didn't do for Vlad.

The one good thing about going after Soriano is there are no cultural or personal or even competative concerns. I think he'll go where the money is period. Not like Vlad or Konerko or Garciaparra.

I see this offseason as more active then last year in the sense that we will be in the running for more players. Whether we sign those players will be another story, but I do think the chances of us landing at least one impact bat are better this offseason than last. We have at least 3 and possibly 4 big bats that will be available. I think our targets in the following order should be

#1 - a trade for Teixeira

#2 - sign Alfonso Soriano

#3 - sign Aramis Ramirez (if available)

#4 - sign Carlos Lee

I think either one of these pickups will immediatly improve the ballclub. As Sportsguy said in one of his earlier post, the added protection for Miggy will greatly improve his power and therefore improve help to improve the offseason as a whole next year.

Forget Soriano. He strikes out to much.

Uhm, right. Food for thought:

Last season, ARod won the MVP and he arguably deserved it. He also struck out 139 times. This year, Ryan Howard could very likely win it, upon striking out 173 times, and the season isn't over. The only person who has struck out more than Howard is Adam Dunn, who half the members here would give their left family-jewel for. Jim Thome has led the league in strikeouts thrice.

The top 20 career strikeout leaders include 8 Hall of Famers(Reggie Jackson, Stargell, Schmidt, Tony Perez, Brock, Mantle, Killebrew, Winfield) as well as Sosa, Thome, Rickey Henderson, Canseco, McGriff, Dale Murphy and Bobby Bonds.

Am I comparing Soriano to Willie Stargell or saying he's a hall of famer? Hell no. I'm saying he's hit 46 homers, 95 RBI, stole 41 bases, batted .285 and made 20 outfield assists... last time I checked, we could use that. So get over it!

Archived