Miggy offers to talk to Soriano....

bigbird

Forget Soriano. He strikes out to much.

Oh come on now! You are going to honestly say that you would not be literally jumping for joy if we signed Soriano? Anytime you can add a guy that produces like he does is a great day in my opinion. I am personally excited about this offseason. I really do believe that we will be major players in both free agency and trades. If there is one thing that Angelos does care about; it is money. I think he is smart enough to realize how much more money MASN will bring in, if they put a winning ball club on the field.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

46 homers and 95 RBI? He probably hit almost as many 1 run difference making homers as Tejada this year! All I remember about the guy is the major choke job in the playoffs when he was with the Yankees.

The Yankees dumped him, the Rangers dumped him, the Nats won't sign him, but the O's will.

I can just hear the conversation now -

Tejada:"Hey Al, come to the O's. They'll pay you alot of money and you can strike out all you want, pad your stats when the game is out of hand, and if you blame the owner for everything you get a free pass from the fans"

Soriano: "Really, that place sound like Heaven. Can I steal bases too?"

Tejada: "Sure you can, just make sure that when you steal put your stats ahead of the team winning. Kinda like when you were going for that record and got thrown out like 5 times in a row. We understand the team didn't need you on base, what do they or the fans know? It's about the records, right?"

Soriano: "I strike out alot Miguel, are you sure the fans won't get down on me like they have everywhere else I've been? I mean it's like 1 in every 4 at bats."

Tejada: "Well I ground into a double play every time the O's need a big hit to blow open the game and I'm forgiven. You should see how many times I don't hustle and people still forgive me. In fact some people are calling me "an Alan Wiggins who just so happens to hit .330". He must have been a cool guy."

Soriano: "Gee, That place sounds so good I'll actually play there for the rookie minimum."

46 homers and 95 RBI? He probably hit almost as many 1 run difference making homers as Tejada this year! All I remember about the guy is the major choke job in the playoffs when he was with the Yankees.

The Yankees dumped him, the Rangers dumped him, the Nats won't sign him, but the O's will.

I can just hear the conversation now -

Tejada:"Hey Al, come to the O's. They'll pay you alot of money and you can strike out all you want, pad your stats when the game is out of hand, and if you blame the owner for everything you get a free pass from the fans"

Soriano: "Really, that place sound like Heaven. Can I steal bases too?"

Tejada: "Sure you can, just make sure that when you steal put your stats ahead of the team winning. Kinda like when you were going for that record and got thrown out like 5 times in a row. We understand the team didn't need you on base, what do they or the fans know? It's about the records, right?"

Soriano: "I strike out alot Miguel, are you sure the fans won't get down on me like they have everywhere else I've been? I mean it's like 1 in every 4 at bats."

Tejada: "Well I ground into a double play every time the O's need a big hit to blow open the game and I'm forgiven. You should see how many times I don't hustle and people still forgive me. In fact some people are calling me "an Alan Wiggins who just so happens to hit .330". He must have been a cool guy."

Soriano: "Gee, That place sounds so good I'll actually play there for the rookie minimum."

For chrissakes. Are you actually looking for agreement? When I say people respond to you so you'll stop making ridiculous posts, what I'm hoping you'd start to do is SOME RESEARCH.

I'm not a statistician but I can find out this much:

In close and late situations, Soriano has an .893 OPS. Now, is that lower than his overall OPS? Yes. Is that still an .893 OPS? Yes. Is it higher than anyone else on our team? Yes.

With runners on, he has a 1.003 OPS.

With runners in scoring position/2 outs, he has an .843 OPS.

He creates one more run per 27 innings than Tejada, who has the best RC/27 on our team.

He has created 128.8 runs, which is almost twice as much as all Orioles left fielders combined(65.9).

There's literally nothing you can say that would suggest he wouldn't help our offense IMMENSELY.

Some other notes:

Soriano is beloved in DC right now and you don't even need the Post to know that.

Don't even get me started on the double play comment. Not until you look at a list of the top 20 GIDPers and until you find out who number one is. Because I know you won't take the time to do it, the top five are all Hall of Famers and number one is Cal, but then again you probably think Cal sucked too.

Honestly, I'd love to hear your alternative plan to actually having good hitters on your team.

Melmo - I just don't think the guy is going to be that "great". What if he is a bust(Beltre, Pavano) will we have to wait until the contract is finished to rebuild again?

You have to admit. There's something wrong with 46 homers and ONLY 95 RBI's. What happened there? You might be right about him, but then again so could I.

Melmo - I just don't think the guy is going to be that "great". What if he is a bust(Beltre, Pavano) will we have to wait until the contract is finished to rebuild again?

You have to admit. There's something wrong with 46 homers and ONLY 95 RBI's. What happened there? You might be right about him, but then again so could I.

It's called batting lead off. I don't know how many lead off batters have more but I doubt that it's many if any. Soriano is a much better bet than Pavano or Burnett for that matter. In 5 years he'll be puting up better numbers than Vlad or Delgado will.

What happened there? HE BATS LEADOFF. 95 is the most RBI for any leadoff hitter in MLB. If he were batting third or fourth in our lineup he could have 130 by now, but instead he hits behind pitchers and 8-spot hitters with a collective .304 OBP.

I don't think Sori is going to be as good as he was this year, and I do believe some of his success is due to playing for a contract, but even if you slice his stats down he's a force that would bolster this lineup and score in a lot more runs, no matter how you put it. Comparing anyone to Beltre or Pavano is a good way to avoid committing to any free agent at all.

What happened there? HE BATS LEADOFF. 95 is the most RBI for any leadoff hitter in MLB. If he were batting third or fourth in our lineup he could have 130 by now, but instead he hits behind pitchers and 8-spot hitters with a collective .304 OBP.

I don't think Sori is going to as good as he was this year, and I do believe some of his success is due to playing for a contract, but even if you slice his stats down he's a force that would bolster this lineup and score in a lot more runs, no matter how you put it. Comparing anyone to Beltre or Pavano is a good way to avoid committing to any free agent at all.

He didn't bat leadoff today.

Uh, would that be the home run that would have won the World Series if Rivera had nailed down the save? Or the home run that won the ALCS?

Archived