Dylan Bundy Thread

caljr

He's been told not to use it.

However, if he did just go ahead and use it anyway, I wonder what the consequences would be ??? Does Dan Duquette have half a dozen armed guards charge out to the pitcher's mound with their guns cocked at Bundy's chest and scream, "Hey !!! Don't use the cutter, or else !!!" :laughlol:

I am sure that a MLB team has no tools at it's disposal to make life unpleasant for minor league employees that choose not to follow direction.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think his overall performance should give Jim Palmer and all of the people who think he could be pitching for the O's this summer (especially as a starter) some pause for thought. There is some question if he'll be ready for Bowie this summer. He's hardly dominating High A ball.
Im not concerned. He's 19. Im guessing he gets better.

That's not the issue. Of course he'll get better. But if he's not dominating at Frederick, then what on Earth would make anybody think it would be good for him or the team if Bundy was called up this September? It has to be one of the stupidest ideas I have heard kicked around here. Heck, Matusz, Arrieta and Britton were all better at Frederick than Bundy has been, and I didn't hear anyone suggesting they should get called up.

Arrieta - 2.87 ERA, 9.56 K/9 at Frederick

Britton - 2.70 ERA, 8.42 K/9 at Frederick

Matusz - 2.16 ERA, 10.12 K/9 at Frederick*

Bundy - 3.58 ERA, 9.37 K/9 at Frederick.

* Matusz earned a promotion to Bowie, posted a 1.55 ERA with an 8.94 K/9 there, and then did get promoted to Baltimore in August. Obviously, he was dominating at Frederick to a much larger degree than Bundy, and he then dominated at Bowie. It was still somewhat of a surprise that he got called to Baltimore, mostly out of necessity due to a series of injuries to other players.

Now, if Bundy goes 5 more starts in July and pulls his ERA under 3.00, then goes to Bowie and posts a sub-3.00 ERA there, we can talk about whether it would make sense to bring him to Baltimore in September. Personally, I still think it would be stupid even then, considering how many innings Bundy will have thrown at age 19. But we're not even at the point where the issue could be seriously discussed, because Bundy is a 19-year old kid just trying to figure out how to get Carolina League players out, and having only sporadic success at it so far. He is several steps away from being ready to do anything useful in the majors.

I am sure that a MLB team has no tools at it's disposal to make life unpleasant for minor league employees that choose not to follow direction.

Dylan Bundy in the 7th grade in 2005, having a conversation with his friends on "being bad."

KID # 1: "I stoles a Snickers bar from the supermarket when nobody was looking."

KID # 2: "I glued all my teacher's pages together."

KID # 1: "I pulled a fire alarm during social studies class when I went to the bathroom."

BUNDY: "I used a split-finger fastball against the Wildcats last night when my Little League coach told me only to use the 2-seamer and the 4-seamer."

• 2 weeks later...

I made it up to Frederick and saw Bundy for the first time tonight. So impressed. My untrained eye has never seen a more effortless 94.

The two hits and the one run came in the 4th. He was otherwise completely dominant. Such precise location with the curve is just unfair in A-ball. Most of those 8 K's were embarrassing to the hitters. Just silly stuff. The kid is worth the hype, and I'm looking forward to catching him in Bowie before the season's over. He's starting to get the hang of the Carolina League, it appears.

Archived