Dylan Bundy Thread

caljr

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He doesn't look ordinary but he does look human. It must makes it sound silly for people who think he's a #2 or #3 starter right now in MLB.

I haven't heard anyone suggesting such a thing, but I agree. He is no longer perfect, but I don't think anyone ever thought he was going to stay perfect, but he is an amazing talent and someone who still deserves to be known as far from ordinary.

He is a year out of high school pitching in High-A, and they won't let him use his cutter.

He's fine.

Great post. I think that people should give themselves a general reminder that in the minors, pitchers should sometimes have their stats be taken with a grain of salt. Not long ago, Rick Peterson was working with Chris Tillman on the mechanics of a couple of his pitches, hence, their top priority was Tillman working on said pitches during games, not necessarily winning games for the Tides and/or having a good pitching line.

Great post. I think that people should give themselves a general reminder that in the minors, pitchers should sometimes have their stats be taken with a grain of salt. Not long ago, Rick Peterson was working with Chris Tillman on the mechanics of a couple of his pitches, hence, their top priority was Tillman working on said pitches during games, not necessarily winning games for the Tides and/or having a good pitching line.

I am watching Gausman on TV in the other thread and I must say, he looks even more advanced that Dylan if that is possible. And I have watched Dylan many, many times and I totally buy into the hype.

I am watching Gausman on TV in the other thread and I must say, he looks even more advanced that Dylan if that is possible. And I have watche Dylan many, many times and I totally buy into the hype.

He is 2 years older than Dylan and had a MLB pitching coach as his pitching coach this year, so it wouldn't be too shocking. Hopefully both are in the rotation by 2014.

I am watching Gausman on TV in the other thread and I must say, he looks even more advanced that Dylan if that is possible. And I have watche Dylan many, many times and I totally buy into the hype.

Interesting. Dylan has a good curve too right?

I haven't heard anyone suggesting such a thing, but I agree. He is no longer perfect, but I don't think anyone ever thought he was going to stay perfect, but he is an amazing talent and someone who still deserves to be known as far from ordinary.

I think the last thing Bundy has to worry about is lack of hype or love or respect or whatever...

What are the consequences of a bad throwing plain?

Ball spends more time in the hit zone, so advanced bats can square more easily. Big part of the reason shorter pitchers are knocked some by evaluators.

Also big reason why I think Gausman was a better option than Appel or Zimmer (both of whom have a flatter plane on their pitches despite solid size).

Ball spends more time in the hit zone, so advanced bats can square more easily. Big part of the reason shorter pitchers are knocked some by evaluators.

What are you looking for to spot this kind of thing? Is it arm angle? He doesn't get rid of the ball quick enough, or waits too long?

What are you looking for to spot this kind of thing? Is it arm angle? He doesn't get rid of the ball quick enough, or waits too long?

You spot it just by ball path to the plate; you learn it over lots of watching baseball from behind home.

Purely a release point issue. If a larger pitcher has plane issues it's usually due to lower arm slot. It's tough for shorter pitchers to create plane, though some (like Lincecum) use a shoulder tilt to help out.

You spot it just by ball path to the plate; you learn it over lots of watching baseball from behind home.

Purely a release point issue. If a larger pitcher has plane issues it's usually due to lower arm slot. It's tough for shorter pitchers to create plane, though some (like Lincecum) use a shoulder tilt to help out.

Thanks. I appreciate the explanation.

Does Bundy being only 6'1" cause him to not have a good plane? Would using shoulder tilt lead to shoulder injuries (or at least a higher likelihood).

Thanks. I appreciate the explanation.

Does Bundy being only 6'1" cause him to not have a good plane? Would using shoulder tilt lead to shoulder injuries (or at least a higher likelihood).

Complicated questions. Bundy (from my views) does a solid job creating some plane considering his height, but the degree of plane is always going to be limited when compared to other high-pick HSers with longer frames (Taillon, Matzek, Wheeler, etc.). A shoulder tilt wouldn't in and of itself lead to injuries, but it changes the levers so balance can become an issue, which could lead to control/command issues and potentially injuries if the result of the change in balance causes other parts of his body to do naughty things.

Complicated questions. Bundy (from my views) does a solid job creating some plane considering his height, but the degree of plane is always going to be limited when compared to other high-pick HSers with longer frames (Taillon, Matzek, Wheeler, etc.). A shoulder tilt wouldn't in and of itself lead to injuries, but it changes the levers so balance can become an issue, which could lead to control/command issues and potentially injuries if the result of the change in balance causes other parts of his body to do naughty things.

Great post. It's nice to hear from someone who really knows their stuff.

Archived