vs. WHITE SOX 4/19

OFFNY

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They might mean something to those who watched them, but they don't mean anything to the rest of us. They're just a team that choked away a World Series to me. All the things I mentioned were great moments, but none of them led to a title, which is what it's all about. Give me Kirk Gibson, Maz, Buckner, and Freese over those moments any day.

The '79 Orioles and the '75 Red Sox may have choked, but the 1951 Giants and the 1972 Steelers certainly didn't choke.

And, of course anyone would rather have world titles than great moments and great plays if they had to choose between the 2, but to say that they meant nothing really isn't reality-based. Just because the main goal is to win it all, doesn't necessarily mean that every other team were losers and/or anything that they did meant nothing.

Did you see the slow-mo relay...he was definitely out.

Yeah, that's when I posted. I don't think the glove was on him when they froze the replay. And you could hear both announcers immediately start to soften their language praising the play, talking instead about how dropping vs. swiping the tag makes the umpire more likely to call the runner out.

JASON HAMMEL

IP:. 6

H:o 6

R:O 2

BB: 3

SO: 10

Pitches: 108 (71 Strikes, 37 Balls)

2012 ERA: 2.37

One great start, one bad start, one okay start.

I'll take it. I'd like to see him be better the first time through the line up though.

The '79 Orioles and the '75 Red Sox may have choked, but the 1951 Giants and the 1972 Steelers certainly didn't choke.

And, of course anyone would rather have world titles than great moments and great plays if they had to choose between the 2, but to say that they meant nothing really isn't reality-based. Just because the main goal is to win it all, doesn't necessarily mean that every other team were losers and/or anything that they did meant nothing.

The way I see it...you make great plays to help your team win. All the ones I mentioned were great plays and deserve praise, but in the end, they didn't factor into making their teams champions, which takes away most of the luster for me. You grow up hearing about these amazing moments like the ones I mentioned, and then you learn years later that the teams didn't finish the job, and I just wonder why these plays are considered some of the greatest of all-time when they really didn't have an impact. Endy Chavez made a great catch in Game 7, but they lost a few innings later, so what did his play mean to the game? It meant nothing because they lost anyways. It doesn't mean it wasn't a great moment, but its impact is non-existant.

Archived