vs. WHITE SOX 4/19

OFFNY

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The way I see it...you make great plays to help your team win. All the ones I mentioned were great plays and deserve praise, but in the end, they didn't factor into making their teams champions, which takes away most of the luster for me. You grow up hearing about these amazing moments like the ones I mentioned, and then you learn years later that the teams didn't finish the job, and I just wonder why these plays are considered some of the greatest of all-time when they really didn't have an impact. Endy Chavez made a great catch in Game 7, but they lost a few innings later, so what did his play mean to the game? It meant nothing because they lost anyways. It doesn't mean it wasn't a great moment, but its impact is non-existant.

I don't think it's this absolute, but I do agree that for a great play to become legendary it should have some lasting consequence besides just the quality of the play itself.

The way I see it...you make great plays to help your team win. All the ones I mentioned were great plays and deserve praise, but in the end, they didn't factor into making their teams champions, which takes away most of the luster for me. You grow up hearing about these amazing moments like the ones I mentioned, and then you learn years later that the teams didn't finish the job, and I just wonder why these plays are considered some of the greatest of all-time when they really didn't have an impact. Endy Chavez made a great catch in Game 7, but they lost a few innings later, so what did his play mean to the game? It meant nothing because they lost anyways. It doesn't mean it wasn't a great moment, but its impact is non-existant.

I definitely agree with you on the Endy Chavez catch, because they lost that game itself, but I guess we just disagree on the other great moments. :)

Seriously, I agree with Roy and everyone else that thinks that we should DFA Nick Johnson. And if we win this game, we could get the best of both worlds. We could DFA Johnson after yet another awful game for him individually, but it won't cost us another single game ........ IF we hang on and win here. :eek:

Seriously, I agree with Roy and everyone else that thinks that we should DFA Nick Johnson. And if we win this game, we could get the best of both worlds. We could DFA Johnson after yet another awful game for him individually, but it won't cost us another single game ........ IF we hang on and win, here. :eek:

Who do you want to take his roster space?

0-for-20 is awful, no question. But some pretty good players have had 0 for 20's. He had a good spring, he'll come around.

0-for-20 is awful, no question. But some pretty good players have had 0 for 20's. He had a good spring, he'll come around.

I don't know, Slappy. What do I look like, the general manager or something ??? :laughlol: :)

Agree completely with this. He just needs a hit or two to get him off the snide. Not excusing his play so far, but he was great in ST and has always been a solid hitter throughout his career.

Archived