McPhail left this morning

amateurfan

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, he should be working ridiculous hours, and he clearly is, especially this week. This is a job that requires 80-100 hours a week, especially during the offseason, and MacPhail knows that.

But its ridiculous to criticize him for what time he goes to bed if there isn't any reason to stay awake. He clearly said that he stayed up late for however long as there was something worth staying up for. Once they got everything they done with whatever discussions they were having, it was done. Would he be doing a better job if he stayed up an additional 3 hours waiting for someone to call and talk in the middle of the night?

The reason you stay awake is to find deals from other teams. You don't just sit in your $1000 a day suite with a sign on the door that says OPEN. You create a market for your players, try to find matches with other teams, bring a third team in if necessary. Geez.

The reason you stay awake is to find deals from other teams. You don't just sit in your $1000 a day suite with a sign on the door that says OPEN. You create a market for your players, try to find matches with other teams, bring a third team in if necessary. Geez.

Did you read the quote?

He said he's been staying up as long as there is something worth staying up for. If other GMs that he wants to talk with are awake, and he has business with them, he's staying awake to do business.

Do you want him calling up guys that are asleep at 3am?

I agree with about everything Mackus said in this thread.

I think people get carried away with quotes. It doesn't matter what AM said, he'd be criticized - whether it's going to bed early or late; drinking coffee, soda or water, blah, blah.

He pursued an opportunity last night and didn't make a trade.

Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if AM promised himself he wouldn't make a trade at the meetings. That he'd walk away appearing unsatisfied with whatever was offered. Who knows?

What I do know is that most teams exploring the "best available option" regarding SP really have one place to go - Baltimore for Bedard and Roberts.

Regarding Miggy, I would rather keep him and let him put up his typical numbers and let people make offers at the deadline or next offseason if we are not getting any premium prospects.

I agree with about everything Mackus said in this thread.

I think people get carried away with quotes. It doesn't matter what AM said, he'd be criticized - whether it's going to bed early or late; drinking coffee, soda or water, blah, blah.

He pursued an opportunity last night and didn't make a trade.

Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if AM promised himself he wouldn't make a trade at the meetings. That he'd walk away appearing unsatisfied with whatever was offered. Who knows?

What I do know is that most teams exploring the "best available option" regarding SP really have one place to go - Baltimore for Bedard and Roberts.

Regarding Miggy, I would rather keep him and let him put up his typical numbers and let people make offers at the deadline or next offseason if we are not getting any premium prospects.

I'm just offended that he was drinking coffee instead of snorting crushed-up No-Doz. Maximize efficiency through caffeine, please.

When you have a job like he does, there is no reason to ever look at how many hours you put in. The job has to be done no matter how long it takes.

In fact, in his position he should be upset there are only 24 hours in a day.

Right, nobody is sitting around looking at the clock waiting for their 40 hours to be up. Especially during meetings like this week, they're up and working around the clock. But when everybody else is done for the night, are we really gonna criticize him for going to bed? Because thats what is going on in this thread.

Right, nobody is sitting around looking at the clock waiting for their 40 hours to be up. Especially during meetings like this week, they're up and working around the clock. But when everybody else is done for the night, are we really gonna criticize him for going to bed? Because thats what is going on in this thread.

It's just a reason to criticize the guy. That's all.

I don't think anyone can work effectively and efficiently going 80-100 hours a week year round - especially older people. I've tried it for a 2 months at a time a few times, and there's no way I could keep that pace up and stay alive.

This is the truth. I'm only 35 and they take a toll on me. Of course, it depends on what the hours are like. I'm essentially in a pressure cooker the entire day (except today...I'm waiting on a car to pick me up. ;) ). It's tough to keep it together - get sick, stay sick. Clarity of thought is difficult.

For a week or two, though? No problem. That said, I think there's definitely an argument that MacPhail, once he'd spread word of an open-market and talked to individual teams, should feel free to take a deep breath. This week/weekend and next week, something should happen. If it doesn't I'll grow more concerned. A market spurned might not return.

So thats what your source said he did the past 3 -4 days???? If you want to find fault with the man find real reasons not just some lame crap like this.

I'm not one of the guys with a contact, those are Bigbird, Belkast, Peace21, and Sonny76.

Sorry about that, I am wiped out from watching this board last night! Has anybody heard any updates from our insiders? BB seems pissed about what has happened this week- my opinion based on his recent posts.

The Orioles were one of 28 teams that did not make a significant move at the Winter Meetings. How about stepping back from the ledge and look at things rationally for once.

I'm thinking of starting a web site to compete with OH. I'm going to call it "The Ledge." I'm betting I can grab at least half of the people here.:D

Archived