McPhail left this morning

amateurfan

How in the hell can you just leave????

Well of the two bits of news we were recently presented with I like that he is leaving/gone rather than staying and finalizing that Tejada to Houston deal.

Seriously though I think we've probably had good talks with a number of teams and know basically what our options are and where we can go. Now he can come home and determine which direction he wants to go on multiple fronts regarding Bedard, Tejada and Roberts. Plus like Frobby said it's not always bad to walk away from the table. I honestly have no doubt at all that Bedard and Tejada will be traded, it's just a matter of finding the right deal.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is obvious they have only concentrated on Bedard and Tejada while ignoring others on the team that should be shopped.

Oh yes, because the rumors about Roberts that came out yesterday have nothing to do with the Orioles. :rolleyes:

BB has mentioned that the Orioles have tried to find suitors for Mora and Hernandez as well.

They are some of the main pieces that need to be moved.

I will take the optomistic approach:

-the deals we are talking about are complex and involve multiple players with multiple teams. AM may have several attractive offers or the parameters of same that need to be hashed out. There could be examinations of medical records, negotiating of picking up part of remaining contracts, etc that need to be worked out.

-as frustrating as it is to have no news, I want to trust that AM knows what he is doing and that the lack of leaks is a good thing. As we learned with the Weiters negotiations, AM called the shots, stuck to his guns and kept things close to the vest. His tactics worked to perfection with Wieters and Arrieta so I am giving him the benefit of the doubt.

-AM has a track record of success in building a winning franchise and pulling off major trades (unlike his recent predecessors). Rome wasn't built in a day, but when it was built it was quite an accomplishment. Rebuilding this franchise properly will take time and we cannot afford to deal the limited top-tier talent we have (Bedard, Tejada, Roberts) without being sure we get the best and most possible talent in return.

-The Twins seem to have the exact same approach with Santana as he has not moved yet either, despite numerous rumors of deals. In fact, the only blockbuster trade that did occur was when Detroit swooped in out of nowhere and blew Florida away with what the Marlins would have to consider the best deal they could have hoped for. What is wrong with holding out for the same thing to happen with our guys? It's only December 6th.

I think Bedard will be Traded, and once this occurs the rest of the dominoes will fall (Tejada and Roberts).

I don't think we are going to be able to trade Hernandez or Mora, but that's just my opinion.

There are talks about Wes Helm being sent from Philly to Florida. That would open a spot for Mora in Philly. I hope it happens!

Maybe he left Mike Flanagan down there to close some deals. :P

Seriously? Sometimes the best thing you can do in a negotiation is walk away from the table for a few days. I'd think you'd know that in your line of work.

What do you think Flanagan even does in these negotiations. He is probably sitting on stool in the corner waiting for orders.

"HEY FLANNY, I'M RUNNING LOW ON COFFEE HERE!!"

Poor guy has absolutley no signifigance at this point

Ok, so most GM's are leaving today. But for once, I would like to see the O's be the last team to leave, or the first to get something done... instead of treading water and going where ever the current ends up taking them.

I'll agree with SG. This team is most frustrating during the offseason. During the season you know they are going to suck because they're no good. But during the offseason when they have the ability to get things done, they still can't pull the triggler.

Still a lot of time left though. But if this team is the same next year, no games for me. I guess I'll just go to the Aquarium and Science Center when I am downtown.

Ok, so most GM's are leaving today. But for once, I would like to see the O's be the last team to leave, or the first to get something done... instead of treading water and going where ever the current ends up taking them.

I'll agree with SG. This team is most frustrating during the offseason. During the season you know they are going to suck because they're no good. But during the offseason when they have the ability to get things done, they still can't pull the triggler.

Still a lot of time left though. But if this team is the same next year, no games for me. I guess I'll just go to the Aquarium and Science Center when I am downtown.

Agree with you 100%. I really wish anyone could provide us with a reason for optimism. The fact that a ton of teams want Bedard, but we haven't been able to get an offer that meets our needs, worries me.

We always walk away.

Seriously, i hate this team. If they come back next year with basically the same team, i may just be done with them.

Well, that will leave a gaping hole in your day. Perhaps you can take up Sodoku. :D

In the other thread, you said there weren't any deals known to be on the table that you would take. It's not for lack of trying on AM's part. If he decided nothing was going to happen until a little time passed, I have no problem with his decision to leave.

Archived