Gibbons 15-day suspension?

Fan4Life

Well, this is interesting, given that Gibbons never actually failed a drug test. Is the suspension just for purchasing a controlled susbstance with a bogus subscription? I mean, not that I doubt Jay was taking the stuff, but I don't know how much of a basis there really is for the actual suspension in MLB's PED program. Does the PED policy have provisions for simple possession?

Also, one of the articles says that only Gibbons and Guillen are getting suspended (no Glaus, Schoenweis, etc). What's the deal with that? Were they only one caught after the ban in January 2005?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, this is interesting, given that Gibbons never actually failed a drug test. Is the suspension just for purchasing a controlled susbstance with a bogus subscription? I mean, not that I doubt Jay was taking the stuff, but I don't know how much of a basis there really is for the actual suspension in MLB's PED program. Does the PED policy have provisions for simple possession?

Also, one of the articles says that only Gibbons and Guillen are getting suspended (no Glaus, Schoenweis, etc). What's the deal with that? Were they only one caught after the ban in January 2005?

Sounds to me like Gibbons and Guillen admitted use. If you admit you did wrong MLB will go easy on you(15 days) but it counts as a strike. If you are suspected but dont admit they will continue in look into it and smack you hard if they find out you did use.

I can only assume Gibbons was busted so just accepted it and took the lighter penalty by admitting guilt.

So it's legal for a doctor to prescribe HGH to help you or me heal from an injury, but it not OK for an athlete...? It seems to me that as long as it's use was limited to only the time of the healing process, that MLB, or any other sports league might have a legal problem if this was challenged in the courts.

Just a thought.....

I agree that it seems like a double standard. Most of the names that have been associated with this HGH story (Glaus, Byrd, Gibbons, Guillen) have been recovering from injuries. I know "rules is rules" but from what I've heard lately HGH is a legitimate medical treatment. I don't see how it's any different than a cortisone shot.

Sounds to me like Gibbons and Guillen admitted use. If you admit you did wrong MLB will go easy on you(15 days) but it counts as a strike. If you are suspected but dont admit they will continue in look into it and smack you hard if they find out you did use.

I can only assume Gibbons was busted so just accepted it and took the lighter penalty by admitting guilt.

bingo

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-hgh1206,0,2520213.story?coll=bal_tab01_layout

Headline GIBBONS ADMITS USE OF Hgh

so there you have it, the only guy to come out and admit it and take responsibility.

Gallows? Or Forgiveness?

Well, I have always contended Jay Gibbons has done himself well in his career.

Though he stinks at the plate, he's made well over $15 million in baseball and is owed another $11 million plus, probably far more than what his natural talents would have enabled him to do otherwise.

In the end, I see him still being on the roster and riding the pine unless he magically breaks out.

Getting rid of him will be far easier said than done...

bingo

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-hgh1206,0,2520213.story?coll=bal_tab01_layout

Headline GIBBONS ADMITS USE OF Hgh

so there you have it, the only guy to come out and admit it and take responsibility.

Gallows? Or Forgiveness?

Please. He admits it now that the facts have been published. Have you ever heard the term "death bed confession?"
Gibbons repeatedly has denied ever using steroids. In October 2006, after a Los Angeles Times story alleged that Gibbons and fellow Orioles Roberts and Miguel Tejada were linked to anabolic steroid use in a federal affidavit given by former teammate Jason Grimsley, Gibbons told The Sun he had never used the illegal drugs.

"I have passed every test administered by Major League Baseball over all the years," Gibbons said. "I have never taken anabolic steroids. And I am not going to dignify these claims and accusations with any further response."

Gibbons, who was the Orioles' union representative during Rafael Palmeiro's failed test in 2005, was an advocate for drug-testing during his time as a rep. He contended that testing would help people such as himself who were workout fiends - and therefore were perceived to be steroid users - but never had used illegal performance-enhancing drugs.

Source - The Sun, Sept 10, 2007

Does anyone know if Gibbons will be fit to play opening day? I would have thought he would have started the season on the DL.

Just conjecture on my part considering the labrum surgery. Does the suspension starts opening day, or when he passes a physical to resume playing?

Yeah, I guess that's where the "negotiated" suspension came in. I guess the guys at MLB have been watching a lot of Law & Order.

Archived