Gibbons 15-day suspension?

Fan4Life

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Again, though, he only admitted to the hgh, not the steroids. Why did he receive a shipment of steroids?

Based on zero information, here's what I figure: I think they negotiated a pleasant-enough back-room agreement in which Gibbons agrees to fess up about HGH, and MLB agrees to not go looking around too hard about the steroids. This provides something for everybody:

• Gibbons fesses up and apologizes, takes a slap on the wrist, and gets to look contrite;
  • In this day and age, to most people "steroids" sounds worse than "HGH" does, so from Jay's point of view, this is more like a misdemeanor than a felony, PR-wise.
  • MLB looks like it's cleaning things up in general and not just going after Barry;
  • MLB gets an example of how they're nailing people for HGH;
  • Gibbons gets to avoid the further ugliness that would result from people nosing around about him and 'roids;
  • MLB gets a confession without new steroid evidence from during the era when everybody knew steroids were a huge issue but MLB was sitting on their hands and looking the other way.
  • Ditto for the union. They'd rather have Gibbons take his slap on the wrist about HGH than have further investigation bring attention to 'roids during the era when they were helping MLB look the other way.

Seems like a good deal all around.

Thats not funny!!!!!!!!:mad:

Neither is Gibbons cheating by using illegal drugs to get a big multi million dollar contract that possibly kicks a clean honest player off the roster, lying about it, being the loudest mouth blasting Palmeiro, etc.....

I was wrong about Jay.

When he was first caught, I predicted that sooner, rather than later, he would come out and say the right things and be a man. After all, he accepted all the good (fan adulation, PA's millions$$, perks of mlb, etc) so he should accept the bad.

Instead, he pulls a Raffy and goes into hiding. Only now does he offer a lame "death bed" confession through a statement by his agent/lawyer. And what a lame confession it was-

"Years ago, I relied on the advice of a doctor, filled a prescription, charged the HGH, which is a medication, to my credit card and had only intended to help speed my recovery from my injuries and surgeries."

Yeah, sure Jay. Poor baby, you were ONLY trying to get over an injury.

What, no doctors or pharmacies in Maryland could help you ??? So you went to one in Florida ?

Of course, it was strictly a coincidence that other mlb'ers knew that was a good supply for their "injuries" too.

What about those steroids that were delivered to your house ? You forgot to mention those. Were they for an injury too ? :rolleyes:

At this point- I am sick of these guys and thier lame actions. The cover up and the lame excuses by those that are caught are WORSE than the actual "crime". Grow up BOYS. We aren't stupid. Just be men about it.

Stop insulting our intelligence.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.maese07dec07,0,2259424.column

I thought this deserved its own thread. Nice job by Maese digging up numerous past quotes from Gibbons and showing his hypocrisy.

I'm glad Jay acknowledged what he did and is going to accept the penalty without further maneuvering. His "medical excuse," however, is laughable, and just a further emabarassment.

The article does point out, though it sort of glosses over it, that Jay and his wife also have been active members of the community who have done a lot of good things. I think this has to be considered in judging the whole man. It doesn't excuse what he did, but it allows me to forgive him after he's served him penalty.

I'm turning into a broken record here, but Jay also said nothing in his confession about the testosterone (steroids) delivered to his house.

And the hypocrisy displayed in those quotes is incredible.

I don't care all that much about superstars who take PEDs to become superhuman. Is it wrong, yeah, and there should be better testing so we don't have to deal with the issue anymore. But putting asterisks on records and things like that, eh, whatever. People have always cheated in this sport (and every sport), and guys who are already stars aren't keeping anyone out of a job by using the stuff.

But for some reason, it's the Gibbons type of case that really pisses me off. Fringe major leaguer uses PEDs and gets 20 million dollar contract while other fringe major leaguers are fighting for their professional lives, hoping to get a prorated share of the $300 thousand ML minimum if they're lucky, and the pittance that MiLs make if they aren't. It bothers me. Especially when the fringe major leaguer is his team's labor representative and makes numerous statements against PED's. :rolleyes:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.maese07dec07,0,2259424.column

I thought this deserved its own thread. Nice job by Maese digging up numerous past quotes from Gibbons and showing his hypocrisy.

I'm glad Jay acknowledged what he did and is going to accept the penalty without further maneuvering. His "medical excuse," however, is laughable, and just a further emabarassment.

The article does point out, though it sort of glosses over it, that Jay and his wife also have been active members of the community who have done a lot of good things. I think this has to be considered in judging the whole man. It doesn't excuse what he did, but it allows me to forgive him after he's served him penalty.

I ranted on Jay in the other Gibbons thread this morning.

These guys readily accept the good (Millions of dollars, fan adulation, incredible perks, etc...) but run and hide when the excrement hits the fan. It would be nice to see one of these guys own up and really take it like a man when they are caught.

Their lame excuses are worse than their "crime".

Gibbons is a shameful hypocrite.

Gibbons is just another example of a player who, no matter what he says, can't be trusted when it comes to steroids or any other performance enhancing substance. Especially when you look the way that Gibbons has looked throughout his career.

I am convinced that all players, no matter what shape or size, has taken something somewhere along the lines to get ahead. Thats just the way baseball is and we have to accept it if we still want to be fans of the game.

Man...I don't even know where to start. I blame MLB for not fixing this earlier -- Gibbons could be considered the sort of player who's basically a good guy but looks around and thinks "Hey, everybody's using -- am I going to be the only dope who trys to stay 'natural' and ends up being sent down?" On the other hand, that would have been the honorable thing to do.

I can't believe this is what we have to chat about, and not a newly re-invented roster.

Good thing it's Friday -- I'm starting Happy Hour early today!

I don't think Jay Gibbons is a sorry excuse for a human being.

I just think his apology is disingenuous because it doesn't refer to the steroid shipments at all.

Even if I did accept his apology as a fan, I wouldn't go making a big deal about the apology like Roch did in his first blog about this yesterday. Then, when people questioned Roch's objectivity, Roch had the nerve to get righteously indignant about it.

To me, this column is much more objective than what Roch chose to emphasize (ie: let's give him credit for not tearing the clubhouse apart like Raffy did).

Do teams have a case against players when they find out a players contract was negotiated after a good season that later is revealed to have used PEDs?

Deep down, I want to like Jay Gibbons, I really really do, I want to like all of our guys. As Maese pointed out, he's done some good things.

But I just can't. He's pretty much comitted highway robbery, I hope he's not on the team next year...or in MLB at all, really.

The question is will they try and void his contract. It worked so well with Ponson maybe they should do it again.:rolleyes:

Archived