Jeffrey Maier

weams

As frustrating as this type of play can be, I don't like hearing talk of taking away a row of seats, or installing a net between the wall and the seats. When I go to a game, I like to know I have the chance to be right up there, in the thick of the action.

Note that the MFY fan DID NOT make the catch. He flubbed it, just like Jeffery Maier did with his "catch". A fact that I think is often forgotten in the angry haze looking back to that infuriating event.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.hittrackeronline.com/hrdetail.php?id=2012_1026

This is the hittracker details page for this HR. If I'm reading this right, the ball's flight path would have put it right at the wall, but the ball's actual landing place is off the ball's trajectory over the fence. If the hit tracker is to be believed, Avery had a shot at this ball but for the fan interference.

What kind of @sshole over the age of 21 brings a glove to a major league baseball game??? What a pathetic loser, as are most Yankee fans who come down to OPACY.

It was borderline interference.....but Buck should have asked for a review anyways just to stick up for his guy who had a shutout going until that happened.

LOL. Very nice diagram!

The contrarian in me says that

1) Avery is reaching back into the stands.

2) The MFY fan is leaning to his left and reaching to his left.

If this happened to the Yankees in Yankee stadium would this have been a homerun? I do not expect the umpires t get that right, but I do expect to at least review it.

o

I remember during the 1993 pennant race when Ben McDonald was going to-to-toe with the Yankees in a 0-0 pitcher's duel when a 16 year-old Yankee fan from Connecticut named Tim McKenzie stole a home run in the right-field stands from Mark McLemore.

Don Mattingly (who was credited with the home run) said that the kid made "a great catch" when he was shown a replay of it in a post-game interview.

Yankee fans and Yankee players really suck.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1916&dat=19930817&id=AQYhAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Z3YFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1607,2158095

o

If this happened to the Yankees in Yankee stadium would this have been a homerun? I do not expect the umpires t get that right, but I do expect to at least review it.

Most of that is due to the fact that Girardi would have sprinted out of the dugout and tackled the ump.

interference.gif

Now that is a much more compelling angle. It gives a better view of Avery's arm angle. I now think it was fan interference, but I don't think with the two view we have that the call would have been reversed.

I never meant to imply that it wasn't fan interference. I just didn't think the camera angle showed anything conclusive that would have overturned the call. Thanks to everyone who jumped on me for showing a little skepticism.

faninterference.jpg

This is the second the ball went into Yankee-fan's glove.

1) Look at the lines surrounding the Yankee fan. He is clearly leaning forward.

2) Avery's arm is fairly straight.

3) Unless Avery is double jointed or made of some kind of rubber his arm could not have been sufficiently behind the wall for the Yankee fan to have his glove FULLY IN FRONT of Avery's. He simply had to reach into the field of play.

Well done. Hey Bob, check out the chick in the orange shirt that James' second blue line is pointing at!!!! Nice work James...nice work! :D

Archived