RHP's Bundy and Gausman, LHP's Britton and Matusz

ChaosLex

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kevin Gausman has a Twitter account. Let's follow him.

https://twitter.com/#!/KevinGausman

Some notes about Gausman; He was drafted by the Dodgers in 2010 and declined. On his decision to remain at LSU, he says, "It is the best atmosphere in the country for college baseball. I wanted to go to a place that is very rich in baseball tradition and LSU is definitely the right place for that." As a former LSU grad myself, this statement indicates to me that Gausman has makeup and intelligence well beyond most draft-eligible ball players. Writer's comment.

Gausman stands 6?4", approximately 185 lbs. He throws his fastball in the mid 90?s with movement but has been clocked as high as 100 mph. He already has a good changeup and a "plus" curveball that is aided by a smooth delivery. His height and build indicate that even more velocity and stamina may be added as he bulks up in his early 20?s. This season, he is 11-1 with a 2.72 ERA in 115.2 IP. He?s given up only two home runs, and he has a strikeout to walk ratio of 128/27 (4.7:1). Opponents are hitting only .231 against him this season. In 2011, his opponents only hit .215 off of him.

Please don't copy and paste from other sources without citing the source and providing a link. Thanks.

I think a lot of teams would be happy with an ace and 3 #2s....
Most of the last decade the O's have been lucky to have a 3 and 3 #4s.

I don't think I implied otherwise. Just important to have a realistic take on probable outcomes.

This looks good. Bundy is a true ace. Britton shows all of the potential of possibly becoming an ace (although I see more #2 in him), so having him at #2 would be great. I see Gausman as a #2 as well. Matusz is a wild card, but see him being one of the best in this year's rotation by the end of the year. We're left with finding a #5 pitcher, which seems fairly easy with Tillman, Arrieta, Chen, etc. possibly all sticking around. It also leaves some good trade bait possibly.

This looks good. Bundy is a true ace. Britton shows all of the potential of possibly becoming an ace (although I see more #2 in him), so having him at #2 would be great. I see Gausman as a #2 as well. Matusz is a wild card, but see him being one of the best in this year's rotation by the end of the year. We're left with finding a #5 pitcher, which seems fairly easy with Tillman, Arrieta, Chen, etc. possibly all sticking around. It also leaves some good trade bait possibly.

The problem is temporal. Bundy isn't here. We don't know when Gausman will be. We need to see Britton back. Etc. It's hard to know how Gausman will slot into any rotation by the time he's ready.

Totally understandable. This isn't best case scenario, but it isn't worst case scenario either. Just stating that our future does look good if things play out in our favor. Changes happen day in and day out, but it does look good for our rotation.

He eats FOUR doughnuts between EVERY inning?

Are the O's suffering from the after-effects of a Fielder break-up that didn't even happen?

They are the little ones. The cheap powder ones. He needs to put on 25 more lbs anyway ;)

Archived