4th Round - Christian Walker: 1B, University of South Carolina

There's something to be said for a college hitter who's produced for one of the better programs in the country and already has two championship rings on his resume. Walker has played a large part in South Carolina's success, hitting in the middle of the Gamecocks' lineup. He's shown an ability to hit for average and power and showed quickly in 2012 that a broken hamate suffered late last year wouldn't adversely impact him this season. He's not afraid to draw walks, and he rarely strikes out. He's not the imposing physical specimen some like to see, especially considering that he is limited to first, but a team that thinks the bat will play could take him off the board fairly early.

:rofl:

Walker, a junior, leads USC this season with a .335 batting average, 49 runs batted in and 10 homers. He led the team in all three categories last season (.358, 62 and 10), and as a freshman, he hit .327 with 51 RBI and nine homers. He is widely expected to be selected high enough in the Major League Baseball draft next month that he will turn pro.

He will leave behind a remarkable legacy that already includes staggering College World Series numbers: a .385 batting average, seven runs, seven RBIs, five walks and three strikeouts in 12 games. Just once has he gone hitless in a World Series game. He played last year?s two-game championship series against rival Florida with a broken bone in his left wrist and went 4 for 9 while scoring the winning run in the first game, a 2-1, 11-inning victory.

?He?s been one of the special players to ever wear the garnet and black,? said USC coach Ray Tanner. ?Not only has he put up really good numbers, he?s put up good numbers in the clutch.?

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20120523/PC20/120529674/1036/as-postseason-begins-for-south-carolina-baseball-christian-walker-recalls-fond-memories

Christian, a senior third baseman at Kennedy Kendrick Catholic High, won the International High School Power Showcase Home Run Derby; he hit 19 homers before reaching 40 outs to beat 68 other top high school hitters from nine countries.

[video=youtube;vx7dgnapgWU]

LONGEST HOMERUN - 468 Feet

43 BB to 21 K's with a .548 SLG in 264 PAs. Now these are the kinds of stats I like to see for hitters in college. We'll see how it translates and whether the power is there or not in the pros, but you have to like what he's starting with.

43 BB to 21 K's with a .548 SLG in 264 PAs. Now these are the kinds of stats I like to see for hitters in college. We'll see how it translates and whether the power is there or not in the pros, but you have to like what he's starting with.

I feel like you'll like his swing. Really quiet, uses his lower body well. I think it plays in the pros.

Coming from a competitive conference, too...