4th Round - Christian Walker: 1B, University of South Carolina

Christian, a senior third baseman at Kennedy Kendrick Catholic High, won the International High School Power Showcase Home Run Derby; he hit 19 homers before reaching 40 outs to beat 68 other top high school hitters from nine countries.

He beat out Bryce Harper in this home run derby.

43 BB to 21 K's with a .548 SLG in 264 PAs. Now these are the kinds of stats I like to see for hitters in college. We'll see how it translates and whether the power is there or not in the pros, but you have to like what he's starting with.

For the sake of comparison, Justin Smoak slugged .757 his last year with South Carolina with 23 homers. But given that this is the 4th round, this seems like a very good pick.

With metal and 15 months older. Not that it matters -- just giving you a hard time.

Harper power = broke the scale.

Walker power = average to tick above average.

is that average average or 1B average?

For the sake of comparison, Justin Smoak slugged .757 his last year with South Carolina with 23 homers. But given that this is the 4th round, this seems like a very good pick.

For the sake of comparison, he also used amped-up aluminum bats.*

*Not saying that they have equal power, just that the context isn't reliable/telling.

With metal and 15 months older. Not that it matters -- just giving you a hard time.

Harper power = broke the scale.

Walker power = average to tick above average.

Thanks. What are your thoughts on Walker vs., say, a healthy Tyler Townsend (who was a 3rd rounder for us)?

Well absolutely. Like you pointed out, there's a reason he's available in the 4th round. I just like a solid base of plate discipline to start from and the fact is he has a little pop. I don't know if it will be enough, but looking over the Orioles' 4th round picks over the last 20 years or so, he won't have to do much to be one of the best 4th round selections. I much prefer a guy like this then a raw toolsy high school kid who has a 10% chance of putting it together. Just my personal preference.