5th Round - Colin Poche: LHP, Marcus HS (TX)

Hey guys, LSU fan here. Really excited about seeing Gausman work his way to the bigs for the O's. Y'all just gained a lot of Louisiana fans due to the draft.

FYI on Poche, quote from his brother to Arkansas fans:

He'll have fun in school.

Oh no. Just think that passing up this opportunity is not wise. So it must be about fun. Guess he wants to be a kid.

I think this decision is a very personal one and one that each kid and his family need to make on what's best for them. As much as I want to see him sign with the O's, I'm not sure you can tell a kid he's not being wise for going to a great college baseball program.

Just to argue the other side, what's a good college education worth and does pitching in the minors make you a man?

How many baseball players on scholarship actually finish their degrees? How many have majors that qualify as "a good college education"?

Those college years are priceless, IMO. I would not take slot here of $262k. By the time the taxes are paid ...., the free ride has more value, IMO.

I am thinking the first number in the signing bonus has to be a 4, maybe a 5.

Pretty sure that I read that money for college doesn't count toward the cap. If that is the case then he can have the best of both worlds, a chance to pitch professionally and the chance to go to college for free if baseball doesn't pan out.

Might be true but I haven't see that. As Tony said above, it's a personal decision for each kid. With the low probability that any of these kids after the 1st round even make the majors, I think the wise decision is going to college (if that's what the kid wants). He may only get 3 years before he gets drafted again but that's three years closer to a degree. If he has no interest in anything besides baseball then maybe he should just start his pro career. I'm not sure what this particular kid is thinking. The better question is this. How many kids who sign out of HS and don't make it, go back and get a college education. Again, college isn't for everyone but I think it's a wise decision for anyone who chooses it.

As for the best of both worlds, can't he still have that. Pitch 3 or 4 years in college and then have a professional career?

Indiana basketball, entering next season as preseason #1 in several polls, is recruiting kids with a "three and a degree" slogan - these kids take enough summer session classes that they can graduate in three years. If a player does not turn pro and stays a fourth year, then the player can be half-way toward a graduate degree by the time eligibility is over. I think more schools are going to adopt this program. Really, if an athlete wants the degree bad enough, it can be done in three years especially given the tutoring the kids receive.

All that said, this particular prospect presumably let out a signing bonus number that would enable him to start a professional baseball career. A good enough signing bonus can cover the cost of college (after pro baseball effort is finished) pretty easily and have decent $ left over.

From Steve Melewski on Twitter

A reader to my blog wrote 5th rnd pick Colin Poche has decided 2 to go 2 college. But I hear that is not accurate & they are still talking.

It's pretty irresponsible and stupid for a "journalist" to even take something like a note in the comment section seriously enough to tweet it.

Why? There are rumors that he's going to college, to the point where some of us are taking it as a foregone conclusion. He's contradicting them based on what he's heard. If it was just one guy in the comment section, then yeah, but it's not just that at this point.

It's pretty irresponsible and stupid for a "journalist" to even take something like a note in the comment section seriously enough to tweet it.

Why is it irresponsible? He's passing on what he heard. Would it be better if the rumor wasn't part of him passing that info on?