Round 20 - Ryan Ripken: 1B, Gillman HS (MD)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not 100%. I know he will probably go to college but does that mean we don't get him when he graduates? I'm assuming he would have to enter the draft again

You assume correct. Our #1 draft pick this year was originally drafted out of HS by the Dodgers I believe. If they don't sign, they go back into the pool.

Any bonus amounts over $100,000 in rounds 11 and up do count against your cap that you were allocated for the first 10 rounds. For example, if he signs for $200,000-then $100,000 will count against the spending cap and you better hope that you can account for this by signing a player in the first 10 rounds for $100,000 less than the slot amount for that player and have everyone else sign for their slot amount. If this does not happen-you will definitely be facing a penalty.

Not accurate. Each team has 5% buffer before facing penalties.

I know our player development history isn't the greatest, but besides the Orioles recent history is there a reason to believe he would develop better at college versus the minors?

At the very least, everyone will have a much better idea of whether going pro is a good life choice for him. And in the mean time he gets a good education and (at least) three memorable years of playing ball at a competitive college program. His future is heavily bat-dependent and, right now, there are way too many question marks for 1) BAL to commit a taxable bonus that might count against the bonus pool and 2) Ryan to accept a modest bonus and sacrifice a great opportunity to get his pro career started early.

That's my .02 at least.

EDIT: Ryan will qualify as a draft-eligible sophomore, so it's really two years before he can re-enter the draft. More incentive for him to go to school.

Do yourself a favor Ryan and head to college. Sure the pay day is nice, but 20th round draft pick or not, people will forever look at your name and get their hopes up simply because of who your father is.

Yeah - remember Pete Rose Jr?

What is our angle to sign him? I don't think he needs the money:)

DD: "Your Father played here....your Uncle played here....your Grandfather created the Oriole Way. Now, young Skywalk...uh...Ripken, join us, and together, you and I can erase the Ripken Legacy, and YOU can rule Baltimore as the Ripken who saved the Orioles!"

At the very least, everyone will have a much better idea of whether going pro is a good life choice for him. And in the mean time he gets a good education and (at least) three memorable years of playing ball at a competitive college program. His future is heavily bat-dependent and, right now, there are way too many question marks for 1) BAL to commit a taxable bonus that might count against the bonus pool and 2) Ryan to accept a modest bonus and sacrifice a great opportunity to get his pro career started early.

That's my .02 at least.

Have any of you been to 5 points in Columbia or walked around the campus at USC?

...any you thought Gausman had talent....just sayin'

"Not accurate. Each team has 5% buffer before facing penalties."

This is not true. A team will not suffer any draft pick losses by going up to 5% over-but they do have to pay a 75% penalty for any bonuses over their allotment. If they go over by $100,000-then that bonus will effectively cost them $175,000 instead of the $100,000 that the player receives. See this article:

http://www.twinkietown.com/2012/5/31/3054283/mlb-2012-draft-what-are-the-penalties-for-exceeding-slot-budgets

In all honesty if I were Ryan I would not want to play for the O's. There's going to be enough pressure on him given his last name without playing for the same organization as his dad.

As for the money thing I kind of go back and forth on that. If money were no issue would I want to enjoy the college experience? Or would the free education not be that important to me (since I can go anytime) and want to get my pro career started and not worry about schoolwork and stuff?

Not sure.

"Not accurate. Each team has 5% buffer before facing penalties."

This is not true. A team will not suffer any draft pick losses by going up to 5% over-but they do have to pay a 75% penalty for any bonuses over their allotment. If they go over by $100,000-then that bonus will effectively cost them $175,000 instead of the $100,000 that the player receives. See this article:

http://www.twinkietown.com/2012/5/31/3054283/mlb-2012-draft-what-are-the-penalties-for-exceeding-slot-budgets

Technically true, but a 75% penalty on a couple 100K isn't much of a discouragement.

Now the draft picks they get hit with later, now that is something teams are going to pay attention to.

Not 100%. I know he will probably go to college but does that mean we don't get him when he graduates? I'm assuming he would have to enter the draft again

Ryan is old enough to qualify as a draft-eligible sophomore, so he'll re-enter the draft in two years if he does not sign. Only reason to pick him is as a token gesture to an important bloodline and to begin a relationship with the player/adviser if you're serious about tracking him until he's a re-draft.

Archived