Round 20 - Ryan Ripken: 1B, Gillman HS (MD)

I think it's pretty much the same at 22. Maybe even better because he'll have a better chance of reaching the majors after polishing up in college.

Probably true. But they were still talking on the final day. I think Ryan was honored to be chosen by the Orioles and he is not going to college to secure a 2 million dollar signing bonus as a overslot in 4 years. He must really want to experience college life. He has the freedom.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Retweeted by Steve Melewski

Don Olsen ‏@Olsen_Don

Ryan Ripken has been red-shirted by South Carolina baseball team this season. He was not physically ready according to team officials.

Ryan just doesnt seem to project to be able to play in the majors. Not unless he has a dramatic filling out in college. Red Shirting him means he can play four years after this season?

Retweeted by Steve Melewski

Don Olsen ‏@Olsen_Don

Ryan Ripken has been red-shirted by South Carolina baseball team this season. He was not physically ready according to team officials.

After seeing him this summer, I'm not surprised at all. Honestly, I'll be shocked if he ever has an important role at South Carolina. I would not be surprised if he transfers at some point to a lower echelon school in order to get some playing time.

After seeing him this summer, I'm not surprised at all. Honestly, I'll be shocked if he ever has an important role at South Carolina. I would not be surprised if he transfers at some point to a lower echelon school in order to get some playing time.

Apples and Oranges, I know, but it worked for Joe Cool! :D

Having played against him for two years in high school and also going to school here at South Carolina, your thoughts sound a lot like what I've been telling people down here. Of course, no one wants to hear it and thinks I have something against the Ripken family. I don't and Ryan's a good kid (hopefully he proves me wrong) but being brutally honest, if his name were John Smith he'd probably be at Towson.

• 1 month later...
Maybe none of the above. It might just be a euphemism for "won't be able to help the team this season".

This is probably closer. Baseball is not like football. Players on scholarship are usually ready to play right away in some role. Judging by what I saw and what scouts I talked to off the record said, Ripken was not the caliber of player that normally goes to South Carolina.

This is probably closer. Baseball is not like football. Players on scholarship are usually ready to play right away in some role. Judging by what I saw and what scouts I talked to off the record said, Ripken was not the caliber of player that normally goes to South Carolina.

Sounds like Ryan should concentrate on his studies and get a free education to lean back on when his college days are over.

• 2 months later...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Ryan Ripken has transferred from South Carolina to Indian River JC. Was red-shirted as freshman. Cal's son <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">June 27, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived