Do You Support A Technology-Assisted Strike Zone?

Spy Fox

Do you support the technology-assisted strikezone plan below?  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the technology-assisted strikezone plan below?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I support full blown replay. Each coach gets 2 challenges per game and if he wins, he gets another.

The umps union absolutely doesnt want it because it wilhow how iconsistent they are from each other.

I do not like the fact that the rule book clearly states what a strike is and each up still has their own strike zone.

Call it according to the book. I wonder how many World Series the Yankees would have if it were for instant replay. I'd be willing to guess a few less.

Not at all a fan of the challenge system. There should just be a 5th ump in the press box who's watching the broadcast and radios down to the head ump on the field when something needs to be fixed. Plus a PitchFx type system with a buzzer to tell the home plate ump in near real time what's a ball or a strike. Because when a ball is literally a home plate width off the real plate and it's called a strike you can't tell me they don't need help. I'm surprised the pitch tracker could actually continue to track the "strike 3" to Davis, it was that far outside.

• 9 months later...

It will happen after some country or organisation goes first. Maybe Japan or Korea? They love their gadgets. I could see it breaking in there.

It will happen someday because in the end. The man is there to get the call right.

Why not just play the game on XBox (or equivalent) and take out all human aspects. We have tons of data, no need to play the game with players or umpires. Really, you could go the game and just look at a huge video screen. Umpires do a pretty good job. Teams have scouting reports on the umps strike. It adds to the intrigue of the game. Listen to the fans on close pitches it is fun. If you want purity use a computer generated game. If you want sport let humans play it with all their human frailties.

Why not just play the game on XBox (or equivalent) and take out all human aspects. We have tons of data, no need to play the game with players or umpires. Really, you could go the game and just look at a huge video screen. Umpires do a pretty good job. Teams have scouting reports on the umps strike. It adds to the intrigue of the game. Listen to the fans on close pitches it is fun. If you want purity use a computer generated game. If you want sport let humans play it with all their human frailties.

Because making the game a bit better using good tools doesn't logically lead to some bizarro world where everything is a video game played in an Imax theater. Just like how airbags and little parking lot collision warning sensors hasn't led (at least yet) to you actually becoming an android automoton version of Luke Skywalker, plugging yourself into your car every morning for your robot-controlled ride to your mindless job in the hive.

But I know the case against technological aides is a little harder when you frame it as just some tools to make the game better. Much easier when you get baseball's elderly-leaning fanbase up in arms against their new robot overlords.

Because making the game a bit better using good tools doesn't logically lead to some bizarro world where everything is a video game played in an Imax theater. Just like how airbags and little parking lot collision warning sensors hasn't led (at least yet) to you actually becoming an android automoton version of Luke Skywalker, plugging yourself into your car every morning for your robot-controlled ride to your mindless job in the hive.

But I know the case against technological aides is a little harder when you frame it as just some tools to make the game better. Much easier when you get baseball's elderly-leaning fanbase up in arms against their new robot overlords.

And while we're adding these technological aids, why don't we just rename the game while we're at it -- call it, say, "football".

And while we're adding these technological aids, why don't we just rename the game while we're at it -- call it, say, "football".

I don't think we should eliminate umpires, but I think they need to be held accountable for poor strike zone judgement like the one above. Maybe this is a crazy idea, but we should pay umpires who are graded very good at balls and strikes more money for them to stay back there for more games.

Yes, doing some common-sense, mostly transparent things to stop the umps from making a farce of the game is counter to the very foundations of baseball. Baseball is nothing if not the last champion of obvious human failures as a feature, not a bug.

That might be the worse major league strike call I've ever seen. The catcher, the pitcher, the batter, the crowd all knew that was a ball.

But this taught young Mr. Zobrist a valuable life lesson about the unfairness of the human condition. When he grows up he'll be better able to deal with the inevitable hurdles he faces. Are we going to turn baseball into some ridiculous contest that's decided by athletic skill and not ineptness and bias? How crazy would that be?

I don't think we should eliminate umpires, but I think they need to be held accountable for poor strike zone judgement like the one above. Maybe this is a crazy idea, but we should pay umpires who are graded very good at balls and strikes more money for them to stay back there for more games.

Being a homeplate umpire is a very demanding job.....over 200 pitches, requiring concentration. I don't think any umpire would like to do that alone and to be in that position that frequently.

I know I can't stand the fact that football sees a problem and then fixes it. I much prefer sports where glaringly obvious failures in rules or implementation are spun into a beautiful tradition.

Archived