Marlins and Orioles discussing scenarios

Greg

If it cost Jacob Turner (#22 prospect in baseball) to get Sanchez/Infante, it's going to take Machado to get Josh Johnson.

Exactly.. Going to have to go big or go home on this type of deal. Texas just lost a starter and will be looking to find a replacement. If the package people have suggested without Machado is the O's top package, then it will be easily trumped by other teams looking of SP at the deadline.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some refernce points as far as money is concerned

Zambrano 12:$18M, 13:$19.25M vesting

Ramirez 12:$15M, 13:$15.5M, 14:$16M

Johnson 12:$13.75M, 13:$13.75M

Nolasco 12:$9M, 13:$11.5M

Buehrle 12:$6M, 13:$11M, 14:$18M, 15:$19M

Morrison - basically the minimum since he has 1 + year of ML service

I like the idea of going for both Hanley and Josh Johnson, kind of like the Tigers did with Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis way back when.

The Tigers gave up two of the BA TOP 100 prospects (maybin/miller) for Cabrera and Willis.

That'd be like us giving up Bundy AND Machado. Although Cabrera > Hanley

If it cost Jacob Turner (#22 prospect in baseball) to get Sanchez/Infante, it's going to take Machado to get Josh Johnson.

We'll see. Machado is a top 5 talent. Britton was recently rated where Turner is now (and Matusz and Tillman were rated higher).

Schoop plus comp pick plus one of Jake/Matusz is a lot of talent.

Once we have Hanley and JJ Hardy, where does Machado play if he is not dealt? Seems like another trade would be on the horizon in the offseason

I would think that JJ Hardy might be a part of the trade as they would be cutting their salary in half from HanRam. Or he could be part of a different trade, bringing MM up. Or finally it could be something that is done in the offseason or at the next trade dead line again bringing up MM.

I think that Buck wants MM up here sooner rather than later. I see Hardy being traded this week.:noinsider:

Ramirez has hit .240 for two straight years. Buyer beware.

Johnson looks an awful lot like Bedard when we traded him. Any offer for him would have to start with Schoop for me. They can have one of Arrieta or Matusz and others. But Johnson makes me nervous.

The Tigers gave up two of the BA TOP 100 prospects (maybin/miller) for Cabrera and Willis.

Cabrera has barely ever hit .240 for a month much less for two years like Hanley.

Ramirez is not even close to as good as Cabrera. Plus he'd be somewhat of a salary dump. I don't think it would be nearly that expensive. I also wasn't advocating spending those type of players for the 2 either.

I was just stating what it took to get Cabrera and Willis. It was a king's ransom.

Obviously it wouldnt take nearly that to get Hanley/Johnson, but some of the suggestions NOT including Machado are just extremely unlikely to happen. The marlins would go elsewhere.

Tigers gave up Maybin and Miller which were 1 picks and 4 other prospects

I dont think either was a highly touted as DB and MM

Can't wait to root for "scenarios" in the black and orange! I hear his RISP average is sick! I wonder what # is "scenarios" gonna wear?! I know 20, 8, 5, 33etc are off limits. But I can't wait to get his jersey, it can go with my others!!

62a4738c-066c-7d44.jpg

Edit: Bundymachado N/A for "scenarios"; Schoopcav ok

Ramirez has hit .240 for two straight years. Buyer beware.

Johnson looks an awful lot like Bedard when we traded him. Any offer for him would have to start with Schoop for me. They can have one of Arrieta or Matusz and others. But Johnson makes me nervous.

Youre counting an injury shortened 2011 and 90 gms so far this yr as his "past 2 yrs"

He's not done with this season yet

His last 2 FULL seasons were

2010 300 21 76 92 r 32 sb 378 obp 853 ops

2009 342 24 106 101r 27 sb 410 obp 954 ops

the 2 before that

2008 301 33 67 125r 35sb 400obp 940 ops

2007 332 29 81 125 r 51 sb 386obp 948 ops

I think I'd rather go just for Josh Johnson and keep Ramirez out of the deal. I'm alright with bringing pitchers over from the NL, but am weary about bringing hitters over. If we bring anyone over, guys like Polanco and DeJesus make sense because they are familiar with the AL. When it's all said and done, you could probably get Johnson for Britton, Schoop, and a comp pick. Polanco and DeJesus could be had for peanuts. Then, maybe see if Houston bites on a Matusz/Hoes for Wandy Rodriguez deal. You could add Johnson, Rodriguez, Polanco, and DeJesus without obliterating the farm system.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the importance of Machado being a Miami high school star who is often compared to A-Rod, another Miami high school star. The Marlins have a shiny new stadium in the heart of Little Havana and need to build attendance and a lot more fan interest and loyalty. That suggests to me that they might pay a lot more than expected to pry Manny loose from the O's.

Archived