Mark Reynolds OPS is .731...

EagleOriole

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
When you can show me that weight loss is a direct correlation to losing power, it's fair to think that. I can think of one famous example where weight loss didn't correlate into losing power, when Babe Ruth worked on his farm all winter and had his best season ever to that point. Losing weight doesn't mean losing power, unless that weight is muscle. And none of us know that the weight lost was muscle.

But if you look back at the first page of this thread, Tony is the one saying that he's finished and it's "time to cut bait." ;)

In my defense, he did look pretty worthless. I'm glad to see him playing well in all aspects of his game. I'm very impressed with his defense though. I always thought he could be decent at 1st, but he's been fantastic over there.

I’m almost as amazed about Reynolds' resurgence both offensively and defensively as I am with Matusz's performance out of the pen.

I don't know why you're that surprised by his recent offensive performance. He has a 6 year track record and his numbers now more resemble what he typically has done, in fact, he's still well below normal on his SLG. Hopefully he will stay hot.G

In my defense, he did look pretty worthless. I'm glad to see him playing well in all aspects of his game. I'm very impressed with his defense though. I always thought he could be decent at 1st, but he's been fantastic over there.

Hahah, in the words of Gary Thorne (interviewing Buck):

"Mark Reynolds. First base. What is that?"

As I said in the gamethread, it's like clockwork w/ his offensive #s. Even I started to doubt that his #s would be okay in early August (remember the Oakland series being a kind of low-water-mark). For that reason, I'd hope we bring him back next year. His 1B defense is above average and you can count on that OPS finishing around .800 (which is valuable nowadays, even at 1B) by hook or by crook.

I don't know why you're that surprised by his recent offensive performance. He has a 6 year track record and his numbers now more resemble what he typically has done, in fact, he's still well below normal on his SLG. Hopefully he will stay hot.G

True, but he has sort of a narrow, albeit potentially productive, offensive skill set. Plus he is getting toward the less favorable side of the productivity-age curve. So when a month ago he looked absolutely lost I was ready to write off the season.

When I was driving home tonight, the Yankees' radio station was gushing about Reynolds 2 home runs AND the 2 spectacular defensive plays that he made tonight.

They said, "How can you not make Mark Reynolds the co-player of the game tonight, along with Miguel Gonzalez?"

Archived