Anyone worried about Machado's bat?

Mashed Potatoes

In the poll I ran the day Machado was called up, 43% thought he would have an OPS under .700, and 34% voted .700-.750. So, it's fair to say that the median prediction was right around .700. http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/124358-Predict-Machado-s-major-league-OPS-for-2012?highlight=machado Right now he is at .787 despite cooling off from his hot start. I'd say he is doing fine.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Machado is holding his own with the bat and even when's gotten out he's had some nice at bats. He's not an impact bat yet, but not too many 19-year olds are. However, he's going to hit enough to not be a automatic out and his he's easily the best defensive third baseman we've had here in a long, long time. As for the question about his development, as long as he's playing every day and not being over matched, there is no better development then playing in the major leagues.

Why do so many people still think he is 19? Even Thorne called him 19 on the telecast last night. He turned 20 July 6. All grown up.

His Baseball Age is 19 Roy.

Baseball age is a player's age on July 1 of the year in question.

July 1 was picked because it is approximately the middle of each major league baseball season, and thus baseball age reflects the age that a player is for the majority of the season. It allows observers to use only one age for a player for each season.

19 also makes for a better narrative.

Anyone remember Markakis's first 4 months or so?

Different ages, naturally, but I think Machado is talented enough that he just needs to see more and more at bats at this level. His glove is more than enough positive benefit to keep him up here.

We couldn't have used Chase Headley, there is no room for him on this team...

2 for 2 - threadjack and a strawman argument.

Of course we could have used Chase Headley - the question is was it worth the asking price. At this stage, I'm going to give Buck and DD the benefit of the doubt.

Anyone remember Markakis's first 4 months or so?

Different ages, naturally, but I think Machado is talented enough that he just needs to see more and more at bats at this level. His glove is more than enough positive benefit to keep him up here.

It was more like 2 months and a couple of weeks for Markakis. His OPS was at .597 on June 13 after 59 games. From then until the end of August, he had an OPS of 1.083.

Not at all worried about his bat for his own sake or for us long term. But if he continues to struggle- which I think is very possible- we might have some tough decisions to make in the last few weeks in terms of lineup building.

Down the stretch, how often and in what situations do you rest Machado and his good glove at 3b to get the probably more reliable bats of Thome or Betemit into the lineup?

Bump....I think Machado is something like 11 for his last 23, batting average up to .286 and OPS at .782. One of his "non-hits" in that stretch was a three-bagger that was ruled an error on a debatable scoring call.

I love his swing. Easy gap power. He's going to be really good.

Archived